Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residence implications

Permanent Residence implications

Old May 12th 2005, 9:07 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Permanent Residence implications

I'm a little confused and rather than trawl through the million pages on the NZ immegration site I thought I'd ask you helpful lot. After all this is what the forum is for!!

As you know we were issued PR yesterday - still on cloud 9! - but I'm uncertain of the implications. Does this mean we can go to NZ and do whatever we want in terms of work - ie buy a business, work in MacDonalds, become CEO of a company, whatever?
OR does it mean (like the 2 year work visa) that I have to get 'skilled' work as outlines in my application - for me that means Pharmaceutical Sales Management.

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Biddy
Old May 12th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Permanent Residence implications

Originally Posted by Biddy
I'm a little confused and rather than trawl through the million pages on the NZ immegration site I thought I'd ask you helpful lot. After all this is what the forum is for!!

As you know we were issued PR yesterday - still on cloud 9! - but I'm uncertain of the implications. Does this mean we can go to NZ and do whatever we want in terms of work - ie buy a business, work in MacDonalds, become CEO of a company, whatever?
OR does it mean (like the 2 year work visa) that I have to get 'skilled' work as outlines in my application - for me that means Pharmaceutical Sales Management.

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Biddy
Biddy,
my understanding is if they give you PR then the only obligation you have is to enter the country....once there you can get a job or do your own thing business wise..........from the NZ Immigration site.....

Step 5: Decision-making
We’ll assess your application for residence against Government residence policy and look at your ability to settle successfully and make a real contribution to New Zealand’s social and economic development.

We’ll also undertake to verify some of the information you’ve told us in your Expression of Interest.

And depending on how you’re able to demonstrate your ability or potential to successfully settle in New Zealand:

your application may be approved and you’ll be granted a Residence Visa or Permit
or
you may instead be granted a temporary Work Visa or Permit, which will enable you to establish yourself in skilled employment in New Zealand and help you gain residence
or
your application may be declined.

Any help???

Dave
Old May 12th 2005, 9:43 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
Biddy,
my understanding is if they give you PR then the only obligation you have is to enter the country....once there you can get a job or do your own thing business wise..........from the NZ Immigration site.....

Step 5: Decision-making
We’ll assess your application for residence against Government residence policy and look at your ability to settle successfully and make a real contribution to New Zealand’s social and economic development.

We’ll also undertake to verify some of the information you’ve told us in your Expression of Interest.

And depending on how you’re able to demonstrate your ability or potential to successfully settle in New Zealand:

your application may be approved and you’ll be granted a Residence Visa or Permit
or
you may instead be granted a temporary Work Visa or Permit, which will enable you to establish yourself in skilled employment in New Zealand and help you gain residence
or
your application may be declined.

Any help???

Dave
Thanks Dave, that certainly seems to back up the 'do anything you want' option. Cheers for that!
Anyone have any other experiences?
Old May 12th 2005, 11:23 am
enilorac

Originally Posted by Biddy
- still on cloud 9! Biddy
and here's a little cloud 9 just for you....

Old May 12th 2005, 11:46 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by pompeymike
If you've got PR then you can do what you like in terms of work - providing there are no conditions (which will be clearly printed on the sticker in your passport).

Mike
Fandabbydozey
Golden Arches here I come!