Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Angelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really nice
Default Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

... ok, I am sure someone must've been in this situation at some point.

I left my permanent job here in the UK last Friday as I am flying out in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) to my new permanent job in NZ.

My UK employer would like me to start work on a new project that will run for a few months and may need me for future projects.

I would need to invoice them to get paid though it would seem. Does this mean I have to set up a business? Does it mean I have to do anything? I am completely clueless when it comes to tax and what should and shouldn't be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am planning to visit the tax office for some advice this week, but your first hand info would be great in advance!!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver View Post

I left my permanent job here in the UK last Friday as I am flying out in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) to my new permanent job in NZ.

My UK employer would like me to start work on a new project that will run for a few months and may need me for future projects.

I would need to invoice them to get paid though it would seem. Does this mean I have to set up a business? Does it mean I have to do anything? I am completely clueless when it comes to tax and what should and shouldn't be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am planning to visit the tax office for some advice this week, but your first hand info would be great in advance!!
I did this for 3 years. My UK employer sorted out the tax so I did not pay any in the UK. Payment wise they just set up payment into my NZ bank (in dollars). Paid tax on it here via self assessment.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Angelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really niceAngelaoliver is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickey_d View Post
I did this for 3 years. My UK employer sorted out the tax so I did not pay any in the UK. Payment wise they just set up payment into my NZ bank (in dollars). Paid tax on it here via self assessment.
Great thanks!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:58 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I would go to an accountant, seeing a tax office will onlz get them to tell you how to pay the tax, seeing an accountant will mean they will tell you how not to be liable for the tax in the first place.

What you need to do will depend on the employer, you may end up as a self-employed contractor and be responsible for your own tax affairs, invoices would normally be required for their books but there are various options how you set up at your end of the transaction. being an employee and therefore liable for UK tax is probably not what you want to be IMHO but I'd suggest you seek a small amount of professional advice...
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
Firstly I would go to an accountant, seeing a tax office will onlz get them to tell you how to pay the tax, seeing an accountant will mean they will tell you how not to be liable for the tax in the first place.

What you need to do will depend on the employer, you may end up as a self-employed contractor and be responsible for your own tax affairs, invoices would normally be required for their books but there are various options how you set up at your end of the transaction. being an employee and therefore liable for UK tax is probably not what you want to be IMHO but I'd suggest you seek a small amount of professional advice...
Thank you
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

mistran will become famous soon enoughmistran will become famous soon enough

Thank you
Hi, when I came over I continued working for my European employer and I used a company called CXC who are bascially an umbrella company and took all the hassle of invoicing etc. I did't have to set up a company or anything. They obviously charged a fee, but it worked out to be less than doing it all yourself and saves the hassles of tax returens etc..

http://www.cxcglobal.co.nz/