British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/permanent-job-nz-but-also-freelancing-uk-707359/)

Angelaoliver Feb 28th 2011 5:47 pm

Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

... ok, I am sure someone must've been in this situation at some point.

I left my permanent job here in the UK last Friday as I am flying out in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) to my new permanent job in NZ.

My UK employer would like me to start work on a new project that will run for a few months and may need me for future projects.

I would need to invoice them to get paid though it would seem. Does this mean I have to set up a business? Does it mean I have to do anything? I am completely clueless when it comes to tax and what should and shouldn't be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am planning to visit the tax office for some advice this week, but your first hand info would be great in advance!!

mickey_d Feb 28th 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Permanent job in NZ but also Freelancing for UK...

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9208317)

I left my permanent job here in the UK last Friday as I am flying out in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) to my new permanent job in NZ.

My UK employer would like me to start work on a new project that will run for a few months and may need me for future projects.

I would need to invoice them to get paid though it would seem. Does this mean I have to set up a business? Does it mean I have to do anything? I am completely clueless when it comes to tax and what should and shouldn't be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am planning to visit the tax office for some advice this week, but your first hand info would be great in advance!!

I did this for 3 years. My UK employer sorted out the tax so I did not pay any in the UK. Payment wise they just set up payment into my NZ bank (in dollars). Paid tax on it here via self assessment.

Angelaoliver Mar 2nd 2011 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 9208896)
I did this for 3 years. My UK employer sorted out the tax so I did not pay any in the UK. Payment wise they just set up payment into my NZ bank (in dollars). Paid tax on it here via self assessment.

Great thanks!

simonsi Mar 2nd 2011 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9208317)

Firstly I would go to an accountant, seeing a tax office will onlz get them to tell you how to pay the tax, seeing an accountant will mean they will tell you how not to be liable for the tax in the first place.

What you need to do will depend on the employer, you may end up as a self-employed contractor and be responsible for your own tax affairs, invoices would normally be required for their books but there are various options how you set up at your end of the transaction. being an employee and therefore liable for UK tax is probably not what you want to be IMHO but I'd suggest you seek a small amount of professional advice...

Angelaoliver Mar 3rd 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9214139)
Firstly I would go to an accountant, seeing a tax office will onlz get them to tell you how to pay the tax, seeing an accountant will mean they will tell you how not to be liable for the tax in the first place.

What you need to do will depend on the employer, you may end up as a self-employed contractor and be responsible for your own tax affairs, invoices would normally be required for their books but there are various options how you set up at your end of the transaction. being an employee and therefore liable for UK tax is probably not what you want to be IMHO but I'd suggest you seek a small amount of professional advice...

Thank you :)

mistran Mar 3rd 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9215030)
Thank you :)

Hi, when I came over I continued working for my European employer and I used a company called CXC who are bascially an umbrella company and took all the hassle of invoicing etc. I did't have to set up a company or anything. They obviously charged a fee, but it worked out to be less than doing it all yourself and saves the hassles of tax returens etc..

http://www.cxcglobal.co.nz/