Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Permanent emigration: where to start?

Permanent emigration: where to start?

Old May 16th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Simplicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Permanent emigration: where to start?

Having read the sticky threads I'm still feeling a little bit bewildered as to where to start and what order things need to be done in (I've never emigrated before) so I was hoping someone who has the appropriate T-shirt can please provide a few nudges in the right direction, or a book recommendation - perhaps something like 'A dummies guide to emigrating to New Zealand'

I live in the UK with my partner, we're both working. We'd like to emigrate together, and hopefully permanently, to Auckland in NZ and we want to do it ASAP so that she can start a full time degree there in July. She's only applying now but is told there's still time.

We have funds for tuition fees and living costs but I plan to work while she studies. I'm a Network Engineer and under 28 (someone mentioned that is important). She's also under 28.
Old May 16th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent emigration: where to start?

The first step is seeing if you qualify for a permanent residence visa. Use the points table to find this out.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-indicator-smc

If you do not have enough points, look at what you could do to gain more points, and if doing so is feasible or not.

These days it is a lot tougher and many people find it difficult to meet the points threshold without first receiving a job offer.

Your partner will not be able to just rock up and attend a NZ university. She will need a visa, most likely either a permanent residence or a study visa. She will be paying international tuition fees if on a study visa.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Simplicity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
The first step is seeing if you qualify for a permanent residence visa. Use the points table to find this out.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-indicator-smc

If you do not have enough points, look at what you could do to gain more points, and if doing so is feasible or not.

These days it is a lot tougher and many people find it difficult to meet the points threshold without first receiving a job offer.

Your partner will not be able to just rock up and attend a NZ university. She will need a visa, most likely either a permanent residence or a study visa. She will be paying international tuition fees if on a study visa.
Thank you, the points calculator was especially useful.

It looks like I need a job to have enough points (as I don't have a degree and it seems that my certifications and experience don't provide any points). I've heard of a working holiday visa - I imagine the points come into play when I want to stay past the 23 months that allows? So basically visit the country at will on a working holiday visa (or even skip this stage if I can get a job offer remotely), get a job, apply for the skilled migrant visa - That seems quite straightforward, have I missed something?

She's been told a study visa will be easy to get but we need to apply soon for it. Yes thanks for the reminder on fees - we are aware that international tuition fees will need to be paid.
Old May 16th 2017, 7:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

On a working holiday of 23 months you are only allowed to work for 12th months, it is there mainly for people to holiday throughout the country and have some spending money whilst they do. You could not take up a permanent position on this visa.

I would say possibly the cheapest option would be for you to come over on a visitors visa for 6 months and then see how the job market is for you. This visa would mean you would have to show an outward journey from the country at the 6 months mark.

Being in NZ would show employees that you are serious and a lot of job interviews are done initially by coffee meets, to get a feel for the person and if they would fit into the team. Y
You would have to look at the time line for processing applications in NZ as I believe it is longer than UK as they obviously deal with a lot more applications.
If the time line looks like it would exceed your 6months then you could always apply for a temporarily work visa to allow you to start any position offered. Many companies are not that aware of the procedure for offer of work, visa application then and only when it is approved you can start, but you can get the temp visa to start sooner.
As long as you understand the process for the visa and can relay that to the employer, if asked, you should not come up with any barriers as to why someone could not offer you a position if they are legally allowed to.

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 17th 2017 at 5:28 am.