Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The perfect location ?????

The perfect location ?????

Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:45 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The perfect location ?????

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I've always loved Napier, worth having a look if you can find a job there .
Yeah agree Napier is awesome!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

I think Auckland area is pretty hard to beat. Close to amazing beaches in all directions, skiing a few hours away, rural or urban (whatever floats your boat!), most of the jobs. We live in Maraetai and absolutely LOVE it.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:56 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

By the look of all the replies everyone seems to think where they are is pretty perfect, says a lot about this country I reckon
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:13 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Shhhhhhhh!
We are trying to keep it quiet. Anymore of that sort of nonsense & me & Lardyl will have to beat you up

Doh!

Ignore what I've said, Whangaparaoa is awful and nobody will want to live here.......phew...that was close!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

kevbiff is an unknown quantity at this point

You're quite right bga........ and that is certainly making me feel so much better about the whole thing......only wish I could do it sooner !!!!

Thanks again to all for the contributions, they really do help.

sirplug.....I hear you !
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:01 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The perfect location ?????

I'm another one for Whangaparoa peninsula (sorry Vital, please don't beat me up when I come over!)... it really is stunning and lots to do.

My parents are in Orewa, a small beach town about 40 mins from Auckland. Their friends are scattered about in surrounding towns - Stanmore Bay, Army Bay, Gulf Harbour, all of which are beautiful with lots to offer... restaurants, parks, beaches, bars, good schools and low crime, large expat community!

We have done a bit of travelling on previous hols and to be honest, as bga said, I don't think there's many places you can go wrong with!!!

Last edited by Flower Pot; Apr 19th 2010 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Orewa's a tip
Red Beach is over-rated
Gulf harbour is a housing estate with a flouncy marina
Its so damn hard to find work around here
All the ex-Pats whinge on all the time about how the sausages are crap and Bramptin's is so expensive
Whangaparaoa is hard to spell and prnounce never mind that it's full of plebs and grotty shops, a terrible cinema, bowling alley, footie club, league club, boat clubs, fishing clubs, etc, etc
And don't get me started on Dairy Flat and Silverdale/Wainui.....its so bad that three or four teams are using it as a base in the 2011 RWC.....
All holes in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin.....
So don't come here. Find somewhere nice and tell your friends......

*uncrosses fingers*

I think that worked........
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you lot like!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:37 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl

Orewa's a tip
Red Beach is over-rated
All the ex-Pats whinge on all the time about how the sausages are crap and Bramptin's is so expensive
Whangaparaoa is hard to spell and prnounce never mind that it's full of plebs and grotty shops, a terrible cinema, bowling alley, footie club, league club, boat clubs, fishing clubs, etc, etc
And don't get me started on Dairy Flat and Silverdale/Wainui.....its so bad that three or four teams are using it as a base in the 2011 RWC.....

*uncrosses fingers*

Oh yeh and the football team are cr*p.....stay away, it's not worth it. I saw a gang of hoodies here, the other day........
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Well time for anothre point of view.
I dont like jaffa land at all, its not all its cracked up to be.
the shopping is pretty dull, the people are full off shit and think its
the only place in the world.there are plenty of other places that are far
more welcoming and friendly. if you want a city then the place to be is
wellington, it has a real cosmopolitan feel to it, something that auckland lacks.
Personally i prefere the smaller towns around the north island.
We live in cambridge which is a great place. If i had to live somewhere else i would
probably choose Taupo and then maybe somewhere over near the mount or tauranga.

Nice local pubs/taverns

Oh thats a good one, i take it you've not been in a kiwi pub yet.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

kevbiff is an unknown quantity at this point

....oh dear, no I havent been to a kiwi pub yet

Oh well, guess I'll have a lot to discover on my first reccy

.....and I really must avoid those hoodies
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl

Orewa's a tip
Red Beach is over-rated

*uncrosses fingers*

Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:01 pm

Talking Re: The perfect location ?????

Originally Posted by colandros
I dont like jaffa land at all, its not all its cracked up to be. the shopping is pretty dull, the people are full off shit and think its
the only place in the world...
Ever so slightly harsh!

I have spent 2 months there (yeah not long enough blah blah blah ) and found the shopping to be great (but then ANY shopping is great to me...), the people LOVELY (didn't meet anyone full of shit) and didn't get the impression the locals thought it was 'the only place in the world'.

Must admit my mum hates the shopping there... but thats only because they dont have an M&S and that I'm not there as her shopping-buddy Soon to be remedied!

Do you have personal bad experiences of AKL that have made you so derogatory Colandros?!

Yeah I can understand the city may not be your cup of tea but have you spent much time in Aucklands suburbs?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Well time for anothre point of view.
I dont like jaffa land at all, its not all its cracked up to be.
the shopping is pretty dull, the people are full off shit and think its
the only place in the world.there are plenty of other places that are far
more welcoming and friendly. if you want a city then the place to be is
wellington, it has a real cosmopolitan feel to it, something that auckland lacks.
Personally i prefere the smaller towns around the north island.
We live in cambridge which is a great place. If i had to live somewhere else i would
probably choose Taupo and then maybe somewhere over near the mount or tauranga.

WEll done colandros.

Jaffaland is an uncultured dump.

I feel like auckland is somewhere Asia/or turning into.... I dislike asian sort of feelings there. Don't call me I am a racist. been there done that have had enough really. I just stay away from them if possible. not my cup of tea (asian culture I mean)

as far as shopping goes, Welly is FAR BETTEr! I don't bother going to Auckland CBD to have shopping - even once a year, WHY? cos they sell mostly rubbish everything made in China. or Rip-Off Louis Vuitton ... or sort of similar... and charge you $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Just don't need such silly stuff. I come back to Welly and have shopping here...

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 20th 2010 at 2:11 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:18 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

And so another thread that started with a perfectly straight forward question descends into Welly v Auckland playground name calling session

Dewb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.