Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Perception or deception?

Perception or deception?

Old Nov 26th 2006, 2:06 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perception or deception?

There is a lot of talk on here about our expectations and our perceptions of life in New Zealand.

Are we expecting too much from our prospective nation?

Very low crime and friendly people who will mix with us and not have any prejudices against us.

Just like we dont have any reservations or prejudices if a Pakistani/Asian or Black family move in right next door to us?

Are we deceiving ourselves that life will be easy from the word go and that the locals will accept us just because we speak the same lingo?

What of the people who have already made the move and found New Zealand not to be Utopian prejudice and crime free land we hope for. Were they naive?

PS This is NOT a racial white only kind of thread. I'm just trying to gauge what peoples expectations are. Oh, and also one of my best mates is of Pakistani origin if anyone was thinking I'm some kind of white supremacist.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:12 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perception or deception?

Jack we came over with no expectations at all, and just took things as we found them. I wonder sometimes if some of the discontent people have is because they are thinking NZ is some sort of Britain? Just because the same language is spoken here and we drive on the same Side of the road means squat! It is a different country on the other side of the world - why would it be the same.

Then again we didnt leave to escape anything - we came for an adventure - maybe that makes a difference to? I really have no idea - we lived in Glasgow where there are many many different nationalities living and believe me when I say, very little problems of racial tension.

Because I love it here so much I am very protective of it - I hate hearing people moaning. I met an english couple the other night who were really moaning ( and not in a funny way!) that now that they lived here their daughter was starting to talk with a kiwi accent and how terrible that was - eh???? I was sitting there thinking - what an arse! I did say that as you live here is it any wonder that children will begin to talk with the accent - its what they hear, they'll maybe want to belong etc..she looked at me as if I was mad! This is a little thing - but I have met a fair few folk here that come up with similar things - and I just wonder why its so important to them! We chose to come here - nobody makes us ( mostly!). I Maybe some people do expect too much - maybe we're all just looking for something better than we have. It's funny because if you compared material things - as an outsider looking in - of our own life here and in Glasgow some people may think we are mad!( the glasgow onle looked lovely! But nobody knows whats going on in the inside except yourselves.

ok blabbering on and lost the thread about half an hour ago....
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Jack Daws]
Are we deceiving ourselves that life will be easy from the word go and that the locals will accept us just because we speak the same lingo?

What of the people who have already made the move and found New Zealand not to be Utopian prejudice and crime free land we hope for. Were they naive?

QUOTE]

I have personally never expereienced anything but intrest from everybody about my reasons to move and certainly had no racist comments headed towards me. But I have never tried to change anything except getting a few of my friends to make yorkshire puddings if we go round their house for a roast!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I do think though a lot of problems accure through the workplace. Which can tarnish your whole view (because you spend a lot of time there) the Kiwis do seem to have a lot of different attitudes and ethics.
I will start another thread on it for you.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
There is a lot of talk on here about our expectations and our perceptions of life in New Zealand.

Very low crime and friendly people who will mix with us and not have any prejudices against us.

Just like we dont have any reservations or prejudices if a Pakistani/Asian or Black family move in right next door to us?

PS This is NOT a racial white only kind of thread. I'm just trying to gauge what peoples expectations are. Oh, and also one of my best mates is of Pakistani origin if anyone was thinking I'm some kind of white supremacist.
I see a lot of people on BE saying that they are leaving because the UK has "gone down the pan" with "too much crime" and uncontrolled immigration etc, etc and think that they will be in for a disappointment regardless of what country they move to.

Here are the per head "all crime" stats by country

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...mes-per-capita

and here is the net migration stats

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...ion-rate&ob=ws

These show New Zealand has more overall crime per head and a larger net immigration that the UK. Does this make NZ a bad place to go to - of course not, what it does indicate is that if you are leaving the UK because it is a bad place due to these sort of issues then you are deluded and have not undertaken sufficient research on your chosen destination.

From what I can see, those leaving the UK for strong negative reasons will probably have problems wherever they go and those leaving for positive reasons, because they want to expand their lives and try living in a different location & culture, will probably enjoy NZ as much as they would have enjoyed moving to many other places.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

What amuses me is when people go on about the new immigrants in the UK driving the locals out (or whatever) and don't see the irony in becoming new immigrants themselves...
Or complaining about new immigrants in the UK refusing to assimilate, when in Rome etc.... then these same people move to NZ and moan that they can't buy M&S ready meals... or that their children see NZ as home.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apple12
What amuses me is when people go on about the new immigrants in the UK driving the locals out (or whatever) and don't see the irony in becoming new immigrants themselves...
Or complaining about new immigrants in the UK refusing to assimilate, when in Rome etc.... then these same people move to NZ and moan that they can't buy M&S ready meals... or that their children see NZ as home.

Weird isn't it...."We are immigrants" I find it strange when I think about it and start wondering if people resent me for it but I think Im just being paranoid!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:37 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Jack we came over with no expectations at all, and just took things as we found them. I wonder sometimes if some of the discontent people have is because they are thinking NZ is some sort of Britain? Just because the same language is spoken here and we drive on the same Side of the road means squat! It is a different country on the other side of the world - why would it be the same.
I agree
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no Utopia, anywhere, if there was it'd be closed due to being full!

Research, research, research. Eyes wide open (not behind rose-tinted glasses.

A huge supply of "Can Do" attitude.

An open mind and a huge amount of motivation.

A willingness to adapt and accept the changes (unless you work for an arse who makes your life Hell as per other threads!) Tolerance.

Then I reckon we've all get a fighting chance of making the adventure a success.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
There is no Utopia, anywhere, if there was it'd be closed due to being full!

Research, research, research. Eyes wide open (not behind rose-tinted glasses.

A huge supply of "Can Do" attitude.

An open mind and a huge amount of motivation.

A willingness to adapt and accept the changes (unless you work for an arse who makes your life Hell as per other threads!) Tolerance.

Then I reckon we've all get a fighting chance of making the adventure a success.
Im with you

I think as a family we would get on with pretty much anyone. However some of these work place stories are a little mmmmm.... alarming

I suppose if they pissed us off that much we would tell them so

Then the consequences :scared:
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:57 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Im with you

I think as a family we would get on with pretty much anyone. However some of these work place stories are a little mmmmm.... alarming

I suppose if they pissed us off that much we would tell them so

Then the consequences :scared:
Thought it would be a breeze to become "Employee of the Month" at Pac n Save - worried now!
May have to re-think career plan?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thought it would be a breeze to become "Employee of the Month" at Pac n Save - worried now!
May have to re-think career plan?
You may laugh and joke but thats about the level I want to work at

I am tired of the rat-race and just want an easier life. I dont mind working hard (even though Im allergic to it ) but I want to do it in a friendly enviroment. No back stabbing or any of that crap. Just turn up do my thing and go home, invite work people over for BBQ's and vice versa. Chill zone for me
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:38 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

The people my DH works for are our closest friends! And the wife ( we think we were actually separated at birth!) is the person I have opened the shop with! So there are good work stories too!! honest! och its all good!!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Worse still is that they have the gall to say that they are leaving because the immigrants to the UK get free houses and cars and holidays (which isn't true anyway), then moan about the how little they can claim from the welfare system of the country they go to.

K.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:49 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

We are from the "looking for an adventure" camp. Britain is and always will be my home.

True, there are things here we don't like, but apart from the traffic, I am not expecting too many differences.

I fully expect there will be times when we will wonder why on earth we moved (we haven't yet - damn house) but we are going with an open mind and a sense of stepping off the treadmill.

We both expect to work, in the same fields we are currently in. The only difference is that we will probably not have a mortgage (maybe a small one if we fall in love with a house). This will mean my wife only has to work if she wants to

But overall, I share pixie's view about running away from problems. They will follow you across the world....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.