Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pensioners moving to New Zealand

Pensioners moving to New Zealand

Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

AlanMargaret is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Pensioners moving to New Zealand

My Wife and I are pensioners who are hoping to join our two daughters and families in New Zealand. Daughter No.1 has been resident 20 + years and Daughter No.2 is in the process of applying, but are assured (almost) of being accepted because of job skills.

We have been told that because we have three sons in UK, although they live hundreds of miles away from us and one is completely estranged, the other two only seen rarely, we would not be eligible to emigrate to NZ.

When both daughters are settled, the family in NZ will comprise, two daughters, one son-in-law, seven grandchildren and six great grandchildren - this is double the number of descendants in the UK.

Has anyone any helpful suggestions for us on applying for emigration??????

Has anyone gone through this successfully?
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Pensioners moving to New Zealand

My Wife and I are pensioners who are hoping to join our two daughters and families in New Zealand. Daughter No.1 has been resident 20 + years and Daughter No.2 is in the process of applying, but are assured (almost) of being accepted because of job skills.

We have been told that because we have three sons in UK, although they live hundreds of miles away from us and one is completely estranged, the other two only seen rarely, we would not be eligible to emigrate to NZ.

When both daughters are settled, the family in NZ will comprise, two daughters, one son-in-law, seven grandchildren and six great grandchildren - this is double the number of descendants in the UK.

Hi there

Sorry I have no helpful suggestions, but it does sound ridiculous!! Like so many other things which we stumble across as we go through the immigration process!!
I wish you both lots of luck, and hope you get lots of info from this forum.

Fingers crossed for you

Tracey & Adiy

Last edited by Sue; Jan 26th 2006 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensioners moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by AlanMargaret

whilst an application under the family category is based on the centre of gravity of your family (direct children only) you could get sponsored under the family quota which is for family members that are not eligible under other categories - this is from the nzis website www.immigration.govt.nz under family quote

What is the Family Quota?
The Family Quota enables families to be reunited by granting residence to a quota of family members of New Zealand citizens and residents who are not eligible for residence under any other category.

If you meet the requirements as a sponsor, you can register someone in your close family – parents, grandparents, adult children or adult brothers or sisters and their partners and children – for the Family Quota Category

The selection is made by ballot. You must register your interest at a particular time each year, and if successful (ie your registration is drawn from the pool) your family will then have the opportunity to apply for a residence visa and permit.

You will be notified by us the month after the draw whether your sponsorship has been successful or not. If you have been successful, you must then notify your family. Your family must apply for a residence visa and permit within the next six months.

Good luck with it all
Vicki

Last edited by Joshlin; Jan 27th 2006 at 5:45 am. Reason: addition of info
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Thank you Vicki for your reply - it has set us on the right path we hope.
Another query is:- We have been trying to find out the rules of taxation for pensioners in New Zealand, but all our searches have come to a dead end! If we are taxed on our UK pensions, this will make a big difference to our income obviously. Also, is there a set amount of income you are allowed before taxation? This happens in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

My Grandparents followed their daughter (my aunt) out to NZ in the mid 80's. From what i remember they basically lied on the application form that they had no other relativies in the UK! Not that i'm suggesting you follow that route....

Also my Grandfather gets his UK pensions paid to him in NZ without being taxed - i dont know if there are any thresholds that would mean tax would have to be paid at some point.