Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

pension transfer companies UK to NZ

pension transfer companies UK to NZ

Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default pension transfer companies UK to NZ

Hi all,

I wondered whether anyone had any recommendations for pension transfer companies - and also which ones to steer clear of! I've found quite a few threads on pension discussions which are really interesting but nothing so much on who are the better ones.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather not say online. Would be most grateful for any responses as there are so many of them advertised I can't figure out who is better.

Thanks so much. Have great weekends everyone.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pension transfer companies UK to NZ

My new NZ employer advised me not to transfer my pension fund from the UK. Also I used to work for a pension company many years ago and people who transferred funds ALWAYS lost out due to transfer charges. Consequently I have left my pension, paid up, in the UK. I know what I will get when I am 65 and, although it isn't massive, I know it is secure. (It's a university scheme).

I have started a new scheme again here, whcih is not as guaranteed because of the way funds are invested here, and I reckon I will probably have to work to beyond 65 to get a decent pension here, but I don't mind as I love my job This was all part our financial planning when we came here.

Jan
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Hi all,

I wondered whether anyone had any recommendations for pension transfer companies - and also which ones to steer clear of! I've found quite a few threads on pension discussions which are really interesting but nothing so much on who are the better ones.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather not say online. Would be most grateful for any responses as there are so many of them advertised I can't figure out who is better.

Hi Londonescapee,

I had two pension schemes in the UK. One was a local government one (did not have enough years to be based on final salary) and the other a company one with Standard Life.

Moved them both over and used UK Pension Transfers Ltd (you can google them). They did exactly what they said they would do and I thought the flat fee charged was very reasonable. One company wanted to charge 5% of the amount transferred which was a rip off.

Sid
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
My new NZ employer advised me not to transfer my pension fund from the UK. Also I used to work for a pension company many years ago and people who transferred funds ALWAYS lost out due to transfer charges. Consequently I have left my pension, paid up, in the UK. I know what I will get when I am 65 and, although it isn't massive, I know it is secure. (It's a university scheme).

I have started a new scheme again here, whcih is not as guaranteed because of the way funds are invested here, and I reckon I will probably have to work to beyond 65 to get a decent pension here, but I don't mind as I love my job This was all part our financial planning when we came here.

Jan
All ours are still in the UK & will remain so, especially OH's NHS scheme!!
Not a good time to transfer anyway at the moment with the crappy exchange rate
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SidNZ
Hi Londonescapee,

I had two pension schemes in the UK. One was a local government one (did not have enough years to be based on final salary) and the other a company one with Standard Life.

Moved them both over and used UK Pension Transfers Ltd (you can google them). They did exactly what they said they would do and I thought the flat fee charged was very reasonable. One company wanted to charge 5% of the amount transferred which was a rip off.

Sid
Thanks very much for the advice I was looking at them and it's really helpful to have a personal recommendation. I've been looking into this for the last couple of years or so and want to get the process started - I dislike the amount of inflexibility I have with the UK funds. Mine are only tiddlers - 2 personal pension schemes that don't have much in as I haven't worked for long enough to have big pensions
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickey_d
All ours are still in the UK & will remain so, especially OH's NHS scheme!!
Not a good time to transfer anyway at the moment with the crappy exchange rate
You are right bad time to transfer. When I moved mine over the exchange rate was around $2.75 to the pound.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Londonescapee,

Sid
So what should we be paying in comission?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
So what should we be paying in comission?
Four years ago I paid $5k but time has moved on and it is more than likely that it will cost more now.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:31 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

You are right bad time to transfer. When I moved mine over the exchange rate was around $2.75 to the pound.
That assumes there will be a "better" time/rate to transfer at in the future, there is no guarantee of that and it would buck the long-term £/NZ$ trend (go to www.xe.com and chart the rate over 10 years).
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

I payed 1% with Broadbase. It was quick and easy.
But alas I chose the Pegasus fund in GBP. They were instructed to manage it more than once but the advisor left it in a low paying interest gbp account then proceeded to charge me more for doing fk all with it. Rip off NZ, reminds me of another thread LOL.

The new advisor keeps glossing over my complaints. BEWARE
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
That assumes there will be a "better" time/rate to transfer at in the future, there is no guarantee of that and it would buck the long-term £/NZ$ trend (go to www.xe.com and chart the rate over 10 years).
Yes I agree with you there. Interestingly when chatting to Halo Financial they are thinking it may go back up to $2.60 to the £ by the end of this year. But then unless one is in possession of a crystall ball who knows! We can only make decisions based on our current circumstances. Or hope to win lotto

Thanks all for your input.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

you can transfer over at any time and hold the funds in NZ in sterling until the exchange rate improves speak to pension transfers UK who operate with AXA
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:42 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Hi all,

Hi I have just done a transfer and have to say its worked out quite well for me and also a friend I will get the details for you and PM you.
Also a Good guy is John at Sterling Pensions 0800 42 86 69 or have a look at www.sterlingpensions.co.nz as he will advise you if it is best to leave it in the UK.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Ragdolls and Harrogate Girl I will have a look
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We have transferred several small pensions over which are currently being held in GBP earning naff all interest wise. We are both entitled to access 40% of the funds as we have been here 5 full tax years. The aim is to get rid of the mortgage.
Whilst the monies remain in GBP they will remain in a low interest paying a/c and won't be actively 'managed'.
We will both be taking out KiwiSaver.

When dealing with any NZ advisor they should give you a comprehensive analysis and report of the pros and cons of transferring over any overseas pension , based on your overseas pension details and answers you give about your intent for the funds here in NZ.

After that you will be given a risk assessment re. the investment of the funds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.