British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Penguins - Oamaru or Moeraki? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/penguins-oamaru-moeraki-792439/)

MOSO Mar 31st 2013 9:20 pm

Penguins - Oamaru or Moeraki?

A random question for those of you in that area. Is the $90 (for a family) it costs to see penguins at Oamaru worth it or is Moeraki just as good?

chippy64 Apr 1st 2013 3:36 am

Re: Penguins - Oamaru or Moeraki?

I have only done the Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony and when I last went (have been twice) there wasn't a Premium option. I went in the evening and on the 2nd occasion sat right at the back, behind a rail over an entrance, so no-one could stand in front and block my view :).

It was a fantastic experience - the sound they make when they call from the colony to those out at sea, seeing them arrive and make their way to their burrows just fantastic.

We got rather protective and when Japanese tourists used their flash (strictly forbidden), felt rather cross!

Earlier in the day, we drove to the cliff to watch the Yellow Eyed Penguin. Only saw a couple but glad we went.

Probably doesn't help you too much, except to say seeing penguins in their natural habitat is a wonderful experience. Drive slowly on your way out as some come ashore in other places and make their way across a road and rail line to burrows in the cliffs.

BEVS Apr 1st 2013 6:28 am

OM Goodness. Do you have to pay these days?

Crested Yellow eyed are brilliant to watch coming ashore. There used to be a hide you could walk to & watch them from.

chippy64 Apr 1st 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10634301)
OM Goodness. Do you have to pay these days?

Crested Yellow eyed are brilliant to watch coming ashore. There used to be a hide you could walk to & watch them from.

Yep, the hide is still there and it's still free. It's the Blue Penguins you have to pay for :)

Sherlock Holmes Apr 1st 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 10634406)
Yep, the hide is still there and it's still free. It's the Blue Penguins you have to pay for :)

Do the blue ones taste better or something?

julesnye Apr 2nd 2013 2:58 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 10633877)
A random question for those of you in that area. Is the $90 (for a family) it costs to see penguins at Oamaru worth it or is Moeraki just as good?

Dont go during the as you'll be paying to just see nesting boxes:frown:

MOSO Apr 2nd 2013 10:52 pm

Sherlock - I expect them to be singing and dancing for that money!

"Dont go during the as you'll be paying to just see nesting boxes"

Jules - there's a vital word missing from your post. Is it winter?

julesnye Apr 3rd 2013 1:47 am

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 10635738)
Dont go during the as you'll be paying to just see nesting boxes:frown:

Sorry during the day!!!!

MOSO Apr 27th 2013 12:18 am

We saw the free ones at Moeraki in the end. Great view of the yellow-eyed penguins and seals from the hide and further round the headland where they come up to nest.

Felt like it was winter down there though, amazing place the SI and had a great road trip, absolutely loved it and even Jetstar behaved with $39 tickets to Christchurch. It felt like our first proper autumn for 4 years, but nice to get back to the warmth of the North Island:rofl: