British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pegasus Town? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pegasus-town-687043/)

SweetyStacey Sep 26th 2010 9:58 pm

Pegasus Town?

Just found out about this man made island in ChristChurch this afternoon. Looks rather lovely, it's still under "construction" though but so far so good.

Anyone else heard about this, or even been there before?

Stacey

Yotty Sep 26th 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Pegasus Town?

You must mean this! http://www.pegasustown.com/

SweetyStacey Sep 26th 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 8877611)
You must mean this! http://www.pegasustown.com/

Yep! That's the one.

Like most things, something that nice will have a nice price to go along with it.

Stacey

dorrick Sep 26th 2010 11:20 pm

There has been some concern re this project - have given quote from elsewhere - check the video

"Hi there

A really interesting programme on New Zealand's TV3 show 'Campbell Live' - see link below.

We would urge people to take this as a warning. There are some companies out there that give a really bad name to many of the other companies in the industry of assisting migrants who are actually honest people, genuinely there to help.

I live about 20 minutes away from Pegasus Town and it doesn't look like the 'sales pitch'. Admittedly it is a good concept but its rather a chicken and egg scenario. They need more people to buy and invest in land and property packages to have the money to build the wide variety of shops, schools and leisure facilities that currently haven't been built.

The NZD12,000 for Immigration does seem to be incredibly high - many perfectly reputable (licensed) Immigration Agents will only charge between NZD4.5K to NZD6K, depending on the type of visa required etc.

There was some truth in securing a job offer - it is as a general rule of thumb easier to find a job when you are actually in the country (although it is not a guarantee!) - by making the move this proves to the potential employer that you are serious about living in New Zealand.

Good luck :-)

Pegasus - the false hopes of a dream town - Campbell Live - Video - 3 News

Jan n Neil Sep 27th 2010 12:02 am

Our impression is that development has all but stopped there. We feel sorry for the very few who already live there as it does not yet have the amenities or the infrastructure that was promised - actually it looks like a building site, but without any builders :rofl:

On a positive note, although it is essentially reclaimed sandy land, it survived the recent quake mostly very well, as the ground was properly prepared by using construction techniques and equipment imported from Dubai.

Jan

SweetyStacey Sep 27th 2010 3:08 pm

Oh dear :thumbdown:

Just a fantasy town then, one that has good intentions but not working in reality.

By the way I didn't see a link in your post to that video.

Stacey

dorrick Sep 27th 2010 11:59 pm

http://www.3news.co.nz/Pegasus---the...9/Default.aspx

now realise it may not work overseas but have a go anyway

Woodlea Sep 28th 2010 3:00 am

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey (Post 8879237)
Oh dear :thumbdown:

Just a fantasy town then, one that has good intentions but not working in reality.

Stacey

Not a fantasy town, but a town under construction, admittedly slow at the moment due to the credit crunch but I think give it another five years to complete and it'll be a lovely place. There are still houses being built. The golf club and club house are popular and so is the coffee shop in the centre, and it's winter - come the summer it will be packed.

Charismatic Sep 28th 2010 5:06 am

<shivers> The “just add water” communities are coming to New Zealand as well? I love tacky middle class stuff like Range Rovers,flat screen TVs bigger than any picture in your house, Starbucks and Rodd & Gunn but even I think these are a loathsome abhorrence :sneaky:.

CAN2NZ Sep 28th 2010 8:19 am

Hang on. I used to live in Rangiora and have driven through Pegasus and you know, it is pleasant and if it does come off as planned it will be a nice place to be.

I think you are being a bit harsh saying it is a just add water sort of thing. Some of those sections on the island are very expensive and with houses built will have a cost of three quarters of a million dollars.

Of course it is a planned community, but I think you will find that all towns and cities have plans for growth and development such as where commercial and industrial sections will be and where houses will be. Pegasus is not different than that. If you drive through most towns in New Zealand you will notice that there is usually a lack of street scaping and consideration of the visual presentation of development. However, depending on where you are from in England you might not notice the lack of a treed boulevard, wide footpath and open front gardens with grass, trees and so on. Planning is important to make a community pleasant to live in. That's what is going on in Pegasus. I know it sounds like I am defending them, but all I am saying that when/if completed as planned it could be really nice.

The growth in Pegasus will take place over time as people build houses. Once there are enough people there New World will build a store. So, yes, it is a work in progress. I think the comments about the idea and long term development of a community are poorly considered.

The point of the news item is that in trying to move things along by attracting foreign buyers, the Company has in effect taken advantage of those whose dreams have removed their natural conservative sense. It is always buyer be ware, but in this case the pitch really pulled people in and I am sure made a decsion that they would not normally have done. I am sure these people would rather have done things more like the norm and moved, rented, found a job or had one before they came. It is risky enough coming over but to get sucked into a scheme on the same time is a tragedy. I am sorry for them.

Jan n Neil Sep 28th 2010 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8880684)
<shivers> The “just add water” communities are coming to New Zealand as well? I love tacky middle class stuff like Range Rovers,flat screen TVs bigger than any picture in your house, Starbucks and Rodd & Gunn but even I think these are a loathsome abhorrence :sneaky:.

Dont start picking on Range Rovers :(

killercat Sep 28th 2010 9:41 am

Hi, i visited this site two years ago with a view to buying, unfortunately there does not appear to have been much building work done since that time. Im sure it will be lovely when it eventually gets finished. One thing to bare in mind thou, they had quite strict regulations on what you can and cant do to the property which is what put us of.

SweetyStacey Sep 28th 2010 10:09 am

I'm a tad confused, the way you guys are talking sounds like the town isn't far along in construction, but the video on the website looks pretty much done apart from the proposed leisure features etc. Or is the part on the video only a section of the place?

Either way it looks nice, it sounds nice, with everything there will be faults and kinks to work out im sure. You're right about sucking in foreign buyers, they caught my mum already lol

Stacey

Charismatic Sep 28th 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8881102)
Dont start picking on Range Rovers :(

I like them :). Those iPhones/Pods, Bang & Olufsen, FairTrade t-shirts, Dom Perignon, Rolex, Mini, Ray Ban and Jimmy Choo...all tacky middle class stuff I :wub:.

CAN2NZ Sep 28th 2010 6:52 pm

SweetyStacey, that was an animated presentation of what the place will look like. They have already planted lots of trees and so in 10 years time you will see the trees making a nice difference.