Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pegasus, Christchurch or Auckland?????

Pegasus, Christchurch or Auckland?????

Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pegasus, Christchurch or Auckland?????

Hi moving to NZ Jan 09, hubby has a job offer just outside Auckland, and we are looking at moving to Brown Bay. A company has approached by OH and offered him at jobs in Pegasus, and Christchurch, when we where over in NZ in March we unfortunately never had time to explore the south island, any comment would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:19 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pegasus, Christchurch or Auckland?????

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Hi moving to NZ Jan 09, hubby has a job offer just outside Auckland, and we are looking at moving to Brown Bay. A company has approached by OH and offered him at jobs in Pegasus, and Christchurch, when we where over in NZ in March we unfortunately never had time to explore the south island, any comment would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi. I've lived in both the north shore (and worked in BB, which is on the shore), and christchurch. Personally, while more expensive, I'd go for the BB job and live on the shore. CHCH is a lovely city with lots to see and do but It's not without its troubles in terms of smog in winter and scummy lowlifes in parts and usually higher unemployment rate.

If u do choose CHCH I'd avoid the eastside, central and sthrn suburbs. Pockets of low income groupings there and higher % of unsavoury types. Cashmere, mt pleasant and sumner, though in the sth are nice areas but pricey.

Good luck
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Hi. I've lived in both the north shore (and worked in BB, which is on the shore), and christchurch. Personally, while more expensive, I'd go for the BB job and live on the shore. CHCH is a lovely city with lots to see and do but It's not without its troubles in terms of smog in winter and scummy lowlifes in parts and usually higher unemployment rate.

If u do choose CHCH I'd avoid the eastside, central and sthrn suburbs. Pockets of low income groupings there and higher % of unsavoury types. Cashmere, mt pleasant and sumner, though in the sth are nice areas but pricey.

Good luck
Thanks for advice
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.pegasustown.com/construction/

The above is a link to the new Pagasus Town for your information

They have swish new broadband there with the new fibre optic lines and high speed access. Almost worth moving there just for that LOL!!!

For me personally I could not live in Auckland - came here to get away from all the traffic congestion like in the UK. All the traffic cams in the morning on breakfast TV in Auckland look like a nightmare to get anywhere. May as well be at home. I feel it is more laid back here in the South Island but it all depends on your individual requirements for the move here and what you want out of it. Every city will have its "scummys" yes even Auckland and they are not without their own problems too. Comes down to personal taste in the end. Suggest you visit the area first to see if you like it. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
A job offer 'outside' of Auckland? I think from Brown's Bay the commute (both north and south) to outside of Auckland will be a horrific one Where is the job offer?

Brown's Bay is lovely though, we used to live in Torbay and venture down there most days... has a nice beach

Oh and well done x
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

Good luck
Snob!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Snob!
eee....its grim dawn sarf.....
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
BB can have the feel of a bit of an exPats ghetto (for Brits, Koreans and South Africans) - where is the job offer??
Torbay is nice and Long Bay too......but Rodney is king:

see:

www.iwantahome.co.nz

Rodney District
Stretching from Kumeu in the south to Wellsford in the north – Rodney District has been identified as New Zealand’s healthiest place to live. Here is the top 10 places in descending order:
Top 10 Healthiest Places in New Zealand
Rodney District
Wellington City
North Shore City
Christchurch City
Dunedin City
Nelson City
Porirua City
Auckland City
Lower Hutt City
Upper Hutt City
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
A job offer 'outside' of Auckland? I think from Brown's Bay the commute (both north and south) to outside of Auckland will be a horrific one Where is the job offer?

Brown's Bay is lovely though, we used to live in Torbay and venture down there most days... has a nice beach

Oh and well done x
Hi job offer is in Onehunga ,Auckland.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi job offer is in Onehunga ,Auckland.
Hi we are in the Eastern suburbs of Auckland,its nice here too,lovely beaches and its only about a 20 minute commute to Onehunga from here,Bucklands Beach,Howick,Cockle Bay,Clevedon(which is more rural)but still easily commutable to Onehunga,and you wouldn't have the bridge over the North Shore to contend with in rush hour...

Having said that I like the North Shore just don't fancy having to come accross that bridge everyday...Jacky