British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Paying for Removals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/paying-removals-673356/)

Scousebird Jun 21st 2010 5:24 pm

Paying for Removals

HI

Can anyone share their experiences of moving their belongings to NZ and the round about costings? Do you think it's worth it or not?!

Thanks

concretepump Jun 22nd 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Paying for Removals

hi to be honest its about the same here as in nz, cost 20ft container about £4000, you could buy much the same furniture in nz for about the same price as your container, new and second hand and maybe less hasle,

RobDon Jun 22nd 2010 11:16 pm

There have been lots of threads on this subject and overall most of us would say bring EVERYTHING over with you. ;)

Scousebird Jun 23rd 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks

sirplug Jun 23rd 2010 6:39 pm

We paid £3500 including insurance for a 20ft container and bought everything with us.
You could buy the stuff here but the furniture isn't the same quality, the white goods are over priced and there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed!
For us, it helped the kids settle into life here quicker, knowing they had all the familiar stuff around them.

Wilester Jun 23rd 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8652197)
We paid £3500 including insurance for a 20ft container and bought everything with us.
You could buy the stuff here but the furniture isn't the same quality, the white goods are over priced and there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed!
For us, it helped the kids settle into life here quicker, knowing they had all the familiar stuff around them.

I take it that its just a case of changing plugs on your white goods and will uk tv's function ok :)

Jewelie38 Jun 23rd 2010 7:41 pm

Hi ya,
We are just in the process of choosing a shipping agent to ship a 20yard container door to door. We were going to try and manage the whole process ourselves but found that the cost of a freight forwarder on the nz side brought the end figure to be more expensive than getting a shipping agent here to handle the lot. :ohmy:
Basically, you can save yourself about £800-£1000 by just doing all the packing yourselves (however, they will not insure you for breakages this way, but hey, i packed it so if it';s broken it's my fault!!).
So, the shipping company loads the whole container for you, if you give them a hand it will also bring the cost down! You number every item going into the container and make up an itinary of whats in each box or package.
I have had 3 shipping companies coming in at £2,800, £2,699 and still waiting for the last quote. It will also cost about £300 to insure the container for total loss, water damage or theft with Letton Percival, that covers about £20,000.
Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Scousebird Jun 23rd 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jewelie38 (Post 8652362)
Hi ya,
We are just in the process of choosing a shipping agent to ship a 20yard container door to door. We were going to try and manage the whole process ourselves but found that the cost of a freight forwarder on the nz side brought the end figure to be more expensive than getting a shipping agent here to handle the lot. :ohmy:
Basically, you can save yourself about £800-£1000 by just doing all the packing yourselves (however, they will not insure you for breakages this way, but hey, i packed it so if it';s broken it's my fault!!).
So, the shipping company loads the whole container for you, if you give them a hand it will also bring the cost down! You number every item going into the container and make up an itinary of whats in each box or package.
I have had 3 shipping companies coming in at £2,800, £2,699 and still waiting for the last quote. It will also cost about £300 to insure the container for total loss, water damage or theft with Letton Percival, that covers about £20,000.
Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

are you able to say which companies you've got quotes from? Is Letton Percival an insurer? Thanks for sharing the info - I'll save your thread if I can.

Jewelie38 Jun 23rd 2010 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gaynor75 (Post 8652376)
are you able to say which companies you've got quotes from? Is Letton Percival an insurer? Thanks for sharing the info - I'll save your thread if I can.

Yes, Letton Percival will give you marine insurance and you can change the amount that you want to insure with them, but the premium may go up obviously.
The quotes I have had back are with PSS and Excess International. The last quote i'm waiting on is with John Mason. Excess I must say have been the most professional company that I have seen. The guy was very knowledgable and gave me loads of advice. The company follows up the appointment with a text and call and they give you a little memory stick for your pc with all the documents on.......very professional :thumbup:
We'll probably go with them!! They were also the cheapest!!:thumbsup:

killercat Jun 23rd 2010 10:09 pm

HI, we have had quotes from Pickfords £3300, John Mason s £3150 European van lines £3050 and Abacus (local compaany) £2800 all were for a 20ft container and for them to pack over 2 days. All also have said they will match the 2% insurance that i told them i had been quoted for.

Jacki

sirplug Jun 24th 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Wilester (Post 8652326)
I take it that its just a case of changing plugs on your white goods and will uk tv's function ok :)

Yep. The voltage is the same, so all white goods will work over here. As far as TV's go, if it's a late model LCD, then there shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if it's the old style CRT, then you'll have problems. Your built in freeview won't work but you just buy a freeview box, here. Telephones fit ok, as well

Jewelie38 Jun 24th 2010 2:07 pm

Hi again, just to let you know that we've just had the third quote in and it's the cheapest at £2445 from John Mason. x:thumbsup:

Scousebird Jun 24th 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jewelie38 (Post 8654313)
Hi again, just to let you know that we've just had the third quote in and it's the cheapest at £2445 from John Mason. x:thumbsup:

If you remember could you let me know how it goes with the one you choose to go with. Thanks again

killercat Jun 24th 2010 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jewelie38 (Post 8654313)

Is that all in or are you still doing your own packing? x

Justcol Jun 24th 2010 11:22 pm

Bring everything.
It cost us about 3500 to bring our stuff
If you think you can rplace everything you leave behind
for that amount your a bloody fool.
You'll need every dollar you've got to get yourself started down here
and you dont want to be wasting replacing things you should have brought.