Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Paying for Removals

Paying for Removals

Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Default Paying for Removals

HI

Can anyone share their experiences of moving their belongings to NZ and the round about costings? Do you think it's worth it or not?!

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Paying for Removals

hi to be honest its about the same here as in nz, cost 20ft container about £4000, you could buy much the same furniture in nz for about the same price as your container, new and second hand and maybe less hasle,
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

There have been lots of threads on this subject and overall most of us would say bring EVERYTHING over with you.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:39 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

We paid £3500 including insurance for a 20ft container and bought everything with us.
You could buy the stuff here but the furniture isn't the same quality, the white goods are over priced and there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed!
For us, it helped the kids settle into life here quicker, knowing they had all the familiar stuff around them.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sirplug
We paid £3500 including insurance for a 20ft container and bought everything with us.
You could buy the stuff here but the furniture isn't the same quality, the white goods are over priced and there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed!
For us, it helped the kids settle into life here quicker, knowing they had all the familiar stuff around them.
I take it that its just a case of changing plugs on your white goods and will uk tv's function ok
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Hi ya,
We are just in the process of choosing a shipping agent to ship a 20yard container door to door. We were going to try and manage the whole process ourselves but found that the cost of a freight forwarder on the nz side brought the end figure to be more expensive than getting a shipping agent here to handle the lot.
Basically, you can save yourself about £800-£1000 by just doing all the packing yourselves (however, they will not insure you for breakages this way, but hey, i packed it so if it';s broken it's my fault!!).
So, the shipping company loads the whole container for you, if you give them a hand it will also bring the cost down! You number every item going into the container and make up an itinary of whats in each box or package.
I have had 3 shipping companies coming in at £2,800, £2,699 and still waiting for the last quote. It will also cost about £300 to insure the container for total loss, water damage or theft with Letton Percival, that covers about £20,000.
Hope this helps!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jewelie38
Hi ya,
We are just in the process of choosing a shipping agent to ship a 20yard container door to door. We were going to try and manage the whole process ourselves but found that the cost of a freight forwarder on the nz side brought the end figure to be more expensive than getting a shipping agent here to handle the lot.
Basically, you can save yourself about £800-£1000 by just doing all the packing yourselves (however, they will not insure you for breakages this way, but hey, i packed it so if it';s broken it's my fault!!).
So, the shipping company loads the whole container for you, if you give them a hand it will also bring the cost down! You number every item going into the container and make up an itinary of whats in each box or package.
I have had 3 shipping companies coming in at £2,800, £2,699 and still waiting for the last quote. It will also cost about £300 to insure the container for total loss, water damage or theft with Letton Percival, that covers about £20,000.
Hope this helps!
are you able to say which companies you've got quotes from? Is Letton Percival an insurer? Thanks for sharing the info - I'll save your thread if I can.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gaynor75
are you able to say which companies you've got quotes from? Is Letton Percival an insurer? Thanks for sharing the info - I'll save your thread if I can.
Yes, Letton Percival will give you marine insurance and you can change the amount that you want to insure with them, but the premium may go up obviously.
The quotes I have had back are with PSS and Excess International. The last quote i'm waiting on is with John Mason. Excess I must say have been the most professional company that I have seen. The guy was very knowledgable and gave me loads of advice. The company follows up the appointment with a text and call and they give you a little memory stick for your pc with all the documents on.......very professional
We'll probably go with them!! They were also the cheapest!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

HI, we have had quotes from Pickfords £3300, John Mason s £3150 European van lines £3050 and Abacus (local compaany) £2800 all were for a 20ft container and for them to pack over 2 days. All also have said they will match the 2% insurance that i told them i had been quoted for.

Jacki
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:01 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
I take it that its just a case of changing plugs on your white goods and will uk tv's function ok
Yep. The voltage is the same, so all white goods will work over here. As far as TV's go, if it's a late model LCD, then there shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if it's the old style CRT, then you'll have problems. Your built in freeview won't work but you just buy a freeview box, here. Telephones fit ok, as well
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again, just to let you know that we've just had the third quote in and it's the cheapest at £2445 from John Mason. x
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again, just to let you know that we've just had the third quote in and it's the cheapest at £2445 from John Mason. x
If you remember could you let me know how it goes with the one you choose to go with. Thanks again
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Is that all in or are you still doing your own packing? x
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything.
It cost us about 3500 to bring our stuff
If you think you can rplace everything you leave behind
for that amount your a bloody fool.
You'll need every dollar you've got to get yourself started down here
and you dont want to be wasting replacing things you should have brought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.