British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Paying money to NZ from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/paying-money-nz-uk-767904/)

karin Aug 10th 2012 10:09 pm

Paying money to NZ from UK

Hi
I am trying to pay for my nursing registration in NZ from my Building Society in GB using my visa credit card. But I have been informed that thay have tried to take the money, but the credit card is invalid. I contacted my building society who gave permission for the payment before it was asked for the second time, they cant see why it is not going through.
It has been suggested by NZ that I get a bank cheque payable on a NZ bank, does anyone have any other suggestions, I have spare money on my credit card I have money in my bank, I just want to pay my registration. But how?
All help greatfully received.
By the was after a phone conversation at 6.30am I have my job offer, now this just leaves registration and immigration.

Trish M Aug 10th 2012 10:27 pm

Re: Paying money to NZ from UK

Hi Karin,
I paid for my nursing registration and annual nursing certificate on my Mastercard and had no problems whatsoever. The only reason it should decline is if the card no or expiry date is incorrect. Maybe they've inputted incorrect details. Have you double checked with the NZ Nursing Council?

jmh Aug 10th 2012 10:32 pm

That's very odd. I pay for things on my British credit card all the time. You could try doing a bank to bank transfer. The NZ end can supply their bank details and then you can set up a direct transfer. Your bank can probably do this, but there is a fee. I use exe.com for transfers which is really easy once you've set it up. They actually helped me when I rang because I had a problem. I used Hifix some years back and they will take money from a UK debit card (not sure about credit card). Both gave better rates than the bank. Since you will probably be making further money exchanges in future it might be worth setting something up. Once you are set up with them it is very easy to move money between NZ and UK bank accounts.

You could ask them if they accept paypal. Unlikely but worth a try. It's very easy to transfer money that way.

Congratulations on the job offer by the way.

snaps Aug 11th 2012 8:42 am

Take care if paying by cheque and trying to use NZD instead of GBP.
Our cheque book is GBP and was found unacceptable although requested by the NZ end and holding sufficient funds ready.

thepinkone Aug 11th 2012 8:53 am

Congrats on the job - I used my debit card to pay for my registration and annual practising certificate and had no problems (£1.50 charge only). As already said are all your details correct?

karin Aug 11th 2012 9:40 am

Hi yep I have checked my card detail. I've offered a direct money transfer, I've offered a debit card payment. They have now decided they want a bank cheque payable on a nZ bank. I have this am sorted that it will cost me £12 and will take 3days to get to me but at least it is now sorted . I will email nz and let them know it is being sorted. Thank you all for your help and ideas.