Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal- what actually happens

Passport renewal- what actually happens

Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Passport renewal- what actually happens

Well just to clear up any confusion, should anyone be in a similar position.

I need to get my passport renewed pretty quick ( hadnt realised it has run out, thought i had another year)

So filled in the forms, got the phots's, read the bit that said, "if its a renewal and you havent changed your appearance from you old passport you dont need counter signed and you dont need it on your photos as well

rocked into the post office.. handed the forms over.. nice guy behind the counter said.."oh, these havent been countersigned".. i showed him the check list from the High Commission saying i dont need to.. he agreed.. he also agreed that i still look like my old photo.. although he did say i had aged.. nice..!

but.. and here is the good bit.. when he tried to put it through the machine he couldnt.
the question he has to answer is "has the application been countersigned".. nothing about an adult renewal.. no other options.. of course as soon as he puts "no" on the computer.. it spits out an unsucessful application message to him.

So although its in black and white from the High Commission, the computer program the post office has to use, does not give them leeway..

so we will all need countersignatures.. which isnt a problem for me.. its just the time delay.. going to be next week before i can sort that out.. and i am supposed to be flying out in just under 6 weeks time.. bugger..!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Passport renewal- what actually happens

The Post Shop has been told about this problem and Kiwibank have issued a 'work around' notice. That was back in May.

The guy in the Post Shop obviously doesn't read his internal communications and updates very often!! He is meant to answer the question yes and carry on with the application.

I'd go back in and have another go (possibly with a different member of staff)
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

really... typical..
wonder if there are any christchurch post offices open past 1pm on a sat? doubt it..

or a sunday?

thanks for the info cleverchap
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

well managed to get it sorted at the post office. Still had to tell the woman that she should say yes when asked about counter signature.. seems she hadnt read the internal mail as well.

lets just hope it turns up quick..!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We've renewed two passports while in NZ and neither have taken longer than 3 weeks
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

i hope its as quick if not quicker!

I shall report back on here with the results..

oh and what happens with the RRV etc. I presume i have to go to NZIS and pay to have them put in my new passport?
any idea how long that takes?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

New passport shouldn't take too long as this is the slack time of year.

Yes you do have to go to NZIS to get your new RR stickers in your new passport. About $80 IIRC but not sure how long it takes.

I know in Australia you can carry your old passport and new one together to show you have RR visas but not sure if this is the same in NZ. You might want to give NZIS a call if time is short.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:52 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cleverchap
Yes you do have to go to NZIS to get your new RR stickers in your new passport. About $80 IIRC but not sure how long it takes.

I know in Australia you can carry your old passport and new one together to show you have RR visas but not sure if this is the same in NZ. You might want to give NZIS a call if time is short.
No, it must be in your current passport. I think they'll do it while you wait if you can get into an NZIS office. They certainly did with my first IRRV
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

mmmn... might give NZIS a ring tomorrow..
the chch office used to be in cathedral square.. or it was when i had my indefinite rrv stuck in..

i guess this is only a once a decade chore..
although once i get around to citizenship.( we have been here over 8 years). it will be less so ( at least i wont have to bother with transferring rrv etc)

cheers

Deep Six
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:47 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Got my passport back in 1week which was awesome, I expected 3-4weeks, now down to Immigration to get my visa's transefered, bummer takes years off you waiting in that line.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

well i week would be great..
and waiting in a line all day..well.. its got to be done..

do you just turn up.. or are there forms to fill in?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:55 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeepSix
well i week would be great..
and waiting in a line all day..well.. its got to be done..

do you just turn up.. or are there forms to fill in?
No forms just turned up and paid the $80 then they just stick your returning Res Visa in your passport, after making you wait 20mins even though no one else in the office, power eh!

So that's me all done in just 8days. Sent Passport off and visa transfered.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

I have to renew my sons passport at it is about to runout. Generally - as children change so much i guess -you have to have the new photos authorised - but in the UK this has to be done by someone who has known said child for approx 2 years - as we have only been in NZ for 7 months ........how am i going to get round that??

If anyone has managed to sort this problem i would appreciate their help.

Thanks

Psycho x
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:31 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
...this has to be done by someone who has known said child for approx 2 years
May not be much help but I think the coutersigner has to have known the parent for 2yrs, not the child (otherwise children couldn´t get a passport until 2yrs old).

Our intention is to send the forms and photo´s to a suitable contact in the UK for countersignature and return to us, can´t see any other way around that one...
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
this has to be done by someone who has known said child for approx 2 years

Now go and re-read the form, and look at the countersignatory section where it say's

'The countersignatory has known the parent/guardian of the child named on this form for 2 years or more.....'

Anyway, if you haven't been here for more than 2 years, just state how long you have been in the country in the 'Additional information' section of the application form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.