British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Party ideas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/party-ideas-353066/)

poppets Feb 5th 2006 12:29 pm

Party ideas

with only 9 weeks to go til we leave for NZ we thought we would have a 'farewell' party. We want to put a NZ spin on it, black & white balloons, blow up sheep, kiwi slang posted on the wall etc. But we are stuck for a kiwi expression for a farewell party. Any ideas you fab & groovy bunch. Ta

shepslady Feb 5th 2006 12:50 pm

Re: Party ideas

Originally Posted by poppets
with only 9 weeks to go til we leave for NZ we thought we would have a 'farewell' party. We want to put a NZ spin on it, black & white balloons, blow up sheep, kiwi slang posted on the wall etc. But we are stuck for a kiwi expression for a farewell party. Any ideas you fab & groovy bunch. Ta

Sorry to say my knowledge of the Maori language is limited but do know that the Maori word for farewell is Haere rā! Hopefully others might be able to come up with something better that you can use.
Goodluck
Cindy

cottageinthesky Feb 5th 2006 9:44 pm

"She'll be 'right" which means "don't worry, everything will turn out ok"

"What's the story" i.e. "what's going on" or "How're you doing" - a bit fluid that one!

shepslady Feb 5th 2006 11:06 pm

Ok if thats the kind of thing your after then check some of the following sayings out then......................

bit of a dag: hard case; comedian; joker

bloke: usually a man, and often used when referring to a stranger

bust a gut: make an intense effort

cheers: goodbye or thanks or good luck.

cheerio: good bye
chilly bin: sealable, usually polystyrene insulated box, for keeping beer & food cold

choice: very good

cracker: very good

cuz: as in male or female cousin

dag: hard case; joker; comedian, as in "Joe Blow's a bit of a dag isn't he?"

get off the grass: exclamation of disbelief; equivalent to "stop pulling my leg", "get outta here", and "no way"
gimme: abbreviation for "give me..."

good on ya, mate!: congratulations, well done
good as gold: a good job well done; not a problem; an affirmative answer - as in Q: "Do you mind if I pay for this later"? A: "Good as gold mate, good as gold".

hissy fit: throwing a tantrum when things you don't get your way or when someone does something to offend you.

hooray: the Kiwi "Goodbye"

piece-of-piss: easy as in "that was a piece of piss to make".
pike out: to give up when the going gets tough

pissed: drunk, inebriated
pissed-off: angry, as in "I'm really pissed off!"
pissing down: raining heavily
piss around: waste time or effort in a futile manner a.k.a. fart about
piss-up: social gathering with alcohol

scull: drink beer rapidly
scarfie: university student, particularly from Universities of the South Island

spit the dummy: to throw a tantrum or get mad.

sweet-as: a term people say instead of "cool" or "awesome". ("That car over there is sweet-as!")

ta: Thanks

two sammies short of a picnic: used to describe a person who is a "bit thick".

wet blanket: Someone who spoils the fun of others; someone who doesn't get into the "swing" of things, particularly at a social occasion.

wop-wops: out of the way location

yonks: forever, a long time ago, ages; as in "I haven't seen them in yonks".
yarn: spin a "tall story", tell a joke
yack: general conversation held between friends; as in "have a yack".

Biddy Feb 6th 2006 4:50 am

Sweet as.......

Seems to be used when things are, well, sweet as :)

sky Feb 6th 2006 4:56 am

'Sweet as NZ' written on a cake iced in Black and white with a few icing sugar flat road kill possums to jazz it up.

Maybe all your male guests could wear stubbies (very short, shorts) and sport a goaty ... the ladies could all go on the sunbeds excessively until they aged ten or fifteen years beyond their real age and resembled tanned leather.

Water the lager down and serve it in jugs with tiny excuses for lager glasses to pour it into, it also has to be served cold enough to freeze your tonsils.

Say aye at the end of every sentence when talking about NZ.

Have pavlova and passion fruit for your dessert.

Wild pig pate would be nice as a starter but I think you may have trouble hunting down your own wild pig in the UK.

If you can organise it a 4x4 ute to drive you off into the sunset at the end of your do would be a really nice touch.

:)

Gill and Rob Feb 6th 2006 8:21 am

In true Kiwi style ask everyone to "bring a plate".

Gill

babybella Feb 6th 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Poppets,
Good luck with the party sounds like it'll be a blast.
I like the 'she'll be right' theme. Then just stick a smile on you face a stubbie in your hand and say ' choice mate' to everyone.
ps Sent you a PM
Cheers mate
KAZ :beer:

poppets Feb 6th 2006 9:09 pm

do you guys think a pavolva throwing competion would go down well, of maybe some sheep shearing!!

sky Feb 7th 2006 12:16 am

lol sheep shearing would be cool :cool: :D
May get a bit messy though when you have the pavlova fight :D

cottageinthesky Feb 7th 2006 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
In true Kiwi style ask everyone to "bring a plate".

Gill

Great idea - nearly every expat knows another expat who has turned up to a "do" with brilliantly clean plates - for those yet to land on these shores, you have to put something edible on the plates!! Have to admit, I was one of those who thought it strange that mine host was short of plates!