British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Parking at Auckland Airport! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/parking-auckland-airport-861402/)

minky Jul 8th 2015 1:32 am

Parking at Auckland Airport!

I just thought I would write re our experience after leaving our car parked at Auckland Airport. I chose car park E as it was only a short walk from the car to the terminal as we were travelling late at night . On arriving Sunday evening about 7pm we walked to pick up our car when trying to use the remote it would not open the car on careful inspection the glass window had been scratched and the lock on the drivers door had been tampered with. We were able to open the door manually but the battery was dead. The phone in the car park was broken and my husband went off to find some help mean while a lady was in the car park from the hotel checking her guest cars and radioed for me. My husband returned with security which had a battery pack charger which did not work as it was faulty then she went off to get another one and returned with a fireman with the same sort of pack but again was not strong enough to start our car being diesel so after getting grumpy the police came and they went off to get some stronger jump leads meanwhile the security came back with the AA which we had not called but they had received a call also Terry kindly helped pushing our car out and trying with heavy charger which helped but did not get the car going we then used that and his jump leads together and got the car started.
We waited for the police to return as they were kind enough to help.
It turns out there were two other cars which have suffered the same issue as ours I find it hard that nobody had heard the alarms going off as the battery was so flat.
Auckland Car Parking is sub contracted out and they did not want to help either so two hours later we finally made our way home.
So in the future I will make sure I chose a different company and make sure it is proper secure and get heavy duty jump leads just in case.:thumbdown:

Snap Shot Jul 8th 2015 1:54 am

Re: Parking at Auckland Airport!

OK, it was a bit of a saga but you had loads of help and support. The a fireman, the Police, the AA, hotel security. Did I miss any thing ?

Sorry for the loss/damage to your car. Any car parked for a long time irrespective of security will be a target I'm sorry to say.

MrsFychan Jul 8th 2015 3:44 am

pain in the bum, I see car park e is uncovered and I see from their terms and conditions that cars are left at owners risk and cannot guarantee the cars security in all car parks, so would imagine that uncovered ones would be monitored less as assume you pay less to park there.

bearskin Jul 8th 2015 8:45 am

I use Flyaway.co.nz and have not had any problems with them. Is your experience at the domestic airport? Mrs B had a friend whose car was stolen from there - rammed through the barrier and used in robberies etc. Not a good thing to return to...

Blade Down Under Jul 8th 2015 9:15 am

My car got stolen from Christchurch airport whlist in Sydney for the week. Thank goodness for insurance is all I could say.

TommyLuck Jul 9th 2015 2:22 am

I've left my car at Auckland Airport across both international and domestic for 50+ days in the last two years. If anything has been awry I haven't noticed anything.

A real bugger for the OP - all you want to do is get home once you've landed and then this.

escapedtonz Jul 9th 2015 10:59 am

Never parked at Auckland airport as we have friends there so we leave the car at their house and they run us in and pick us up. Defo not gonna do it in the future now.

nero Jul 14th 2015 9:33 am

Same as Tommy Luck used Auckland Airport parking over the last 8 years on numerous occasions (long term and short term) and had no problems. Sorry for the other person, maybe they have a much nicer car than me.
Will continue to use Auckland Airport and hope for the best

minky Jul 15th 2015 10:37 pm

We were parked international yes we did get help but was not forthcoming.

I only posted so to let others know & next time we will park in a different carpark as we live in the sticks so taxi is not an option.

As for the car its a Terracan and was the dirtiest truck in the car park so maybe the mud was a novelty! Im not sure what makes the other two cars were.