British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   parents come too? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/parents-come-too-526075/)

dollyhill Apr 1st 2008 4:35 pm

parents come too?

Hub has been offered a job in NZ, he will go there while I sell the house and sort things out here in UK.
I have elderly parents who would like to emigrate too, they have no mortgage, they do have a pension and can support themselves financially. Would they be able to come too?

happynz Apr 1st 2008 4:39 pm

Re: parents come too?

Originally Posted by dollyhill (Post 6143207)
Hub has been offered a job in NZ, he will go there while I sell the house and sort things out here in UK.
I have elderly parents who would like to emigrate too, they have no mortgage, they do have a pension and can support themselves financially. Would they be able to come too?

You can sponsor them after you have been resident in New Zealand for three years.

howardk Apr 1st 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6143223)
You can sponsor them after you have been resident in New Zealand for three years.

...do the 3 years of being resident have to be consecutive...we have spent 2 spells in nz 18 months and 30 months.........cheers.

happynz Apr 1st 2008 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by howardk (Post 6143753)
...do the 3 years of being resident have to be consecutive...we have spent 2 spells in nz 18 months and 30 months.........cheers.

Good question...lessee here, hmmm...

A sponsor must:

-be 17 years of age or over

-be in New Zealand

-be a New Zealand or Australian citizen or the holder of a current residence permit that is not subject to requirements under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987

-have been a New Zealand or Australian citizen and/or the holder of a Residence Permit or a returning resident’s visa for at least three years immediately before the date their registration is received by the New Zealand Immigration Service

-in each of the three 12 month portions within that three-year period, have spent a total of 184 days or more in New Zealand

-meet the minimum income requirement (unless they obtained residence in New Zealand as a refugee, or they are aged 65 years or older).

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Howzat! :D Howard, I think the bolded part may answer your question (hopefully).

Good luck all.

dollyhill Apr 1st 2008 8:42 pm

Yes they are well over the age of 65!

happynz Apr 2nd 2008 1:30 am

Originally Posted by dollyhill (Post 6144459)
Yes they are well over the age of 65!

Dollyhill,

The sponsors won't be subject to income requirements if they are over 65, not those being sponsored.

dollyhill Apr 2nd 2008 7:28 am

But do we still have to be resident in NZ for three years before the parents can come out, it's a very long time when they are VERY much over 65!

simonmarkellis Apr 2nd 2008 7:36 am

Is it worth asking if you can include them in your application? I don't know your full story, but i met a family in the Hutt valley who included their father stating he would be providing the child care for there kids whilst the parents worked.

happynz Apr 2nd 2008 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 6146098)
Is it worth asking if you can include them in your application? I don't know your full story, but i met a family in the Hutt valley who included their father stating he would be providing the child care for there kids whilst the parents worked.

That's worth a shot. Make up a job offer and bring them on a work permit. I don't know if that would work, but it is maybe worth investigating.

P2L Apr 2nd 2008 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6148437)
That's worth a shot. Make up a job offer and bring them on a work permit. I don't know if that would work, but it is maybe worth investigating.

My inlaws are here on a 3 year work permit, although it is a genuine job in Christchurch. Their intention is to apply for residency in 2 years time. Hopefully that will happen cos they have just bought a house in Rolleston and I think they would have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the airport if someone told them they couldn't stay!! :rofl: