Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Parents aged 57-59!

Parents aged 57-59!

Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents aged 57-59!

The Oh parents are totally into this NZ thing with us and want to come as well.

They are between the ages of 56-59 and want to know if its possible to come out on a tourist visa as we are and then find work and settle.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I know there is an age restriction but I am sure that I read that if over 55 you can still do it but not in the skilled migrant visa. The father-in-law is a diesel fitter and I know they are in demand so wondered how he stood.

Nici
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents aged 57-59!

Someone HELP ME on this.......

I have to be there bearer of good/bad news and I need your answers.

You know what they say about in-laws so personally I am not that bothered but the OH will be.

Nici
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:20 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Since your in-laws are over the 55 year-old limit you'd have to get PR first then you'd have to sponsor them.

Here's a document from NZIS that explains the procedure.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1DB/0/1024.pdf

It looks like perhaps there might be a wait for the parental units to join you.

I hope there is a way around this as it sounds as if your in-laws have the skills New Zealand is looking for.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:38 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Since your in-laws are over the 55 year-old limit you'd have to get PR first then you'd have to sponsor them.

Here's a document from NZIS that explains the procedure.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1DB/0/1024.pdf

It looks like perhaps there might be a wait for the parental units to join you.

I hope there is a way around this as it sounds as if your in-laws have the skills New Zealand is looking for.

But they may be able to use the 6 month (?) tourist visa and hop over to Aus a couple of times to renew it. I think Paladin's mother/mother-in-law is planning on doing this fyi.

Carmen.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kato33
The father-in-law is a diesel fitter and I know they are in demand so wondered how he stood.

Nici

Get a work permit which can then be periodically renewed.
Someone on here was explaining about this recently?

Kip
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:59 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kippers
Get a work permit which can then be periodically renewed.
Someone on here was explaining about this recently?

Kip
That's a thought. I fiddled around on work permits for four years until pulling finger to apply for PR. Sure, the ol' work permit. yeah...that's the ticket.
One wouldn't get the same benefits as one on permanent residency, but hey...

Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

We're sponsoring my dad to live here as soon as we can (he's a bit older at 64). I know that on a visitors visa you need to be out of NZ for as long as you're in (so if you have a six month visitors visa you'll need to leave for six months before coming back!).

What we're doing, after talking to immigration a few times, is have dad come out here 9 months before we reach our 3 year anniversary - which means he'll be here on a 6 month visitor's visa, which he can then extend for 3 months (as UK visitors are generally allowed to do this). We'll then put in his application at that point.

Would you and your OH be the 'balance of your OHs parents' family'? I have one brother, and since one of us is here and one of us somewhere else (he floats around!) that's OK for the 'balance of family'.

good luck

xxx
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
if you look at NZIS website you will note that you can only sponsor his parents if you have PR and have been in the country for 2 years...also as mentioned above...balance of children must be in NZ, we were trying to get my mum in but proving pretty impossible.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

I think it's 3 years

I'll go check...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

from the NZIS site:

"A sponsor must...

have been a New Zealand or Australian citizen and/or the holder of a Residence Permit or a returning resident’s visa for at least three years immediately before the date their registration is received by the New Zealand Immigration Service"

HTHs!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi,
if you look at NZIS website you will note that you can only sponsor his parents if you have PR and have been in the country for 2 years...also as mentioned above...balance of children must be in NZ, we were trying to get my mum in but proving pretty impossible.
Bugger!!!

So now I have to be the bearer of bad news again and tell them NO.

The MIL hates me already, now she will never speak to me again.

Oh well.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by kato33
Bugger!!!

So now I have to be the bearer of bad news again and tell them NO.

The MIL hates me already, now she will never speak to me again.

Oh well.
Hold on...consider the work permit for dear ol' Mum and Dad. I know that one can get a three year work permit (granted, over a year on the permit they'd need the meds and police clearances done). Perhaps that's the way in for the in-laws.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
Hold on...consider the work permit for dear ol' Mum and Dad. I know that one can get a three year work permit (granted, over a year on the permit they'd need the meds and police clearances done). Perhaps that's the way in for the in-laws.
I thought he could not get the work permit over the age of 55??
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:20 pm

The residency cut off is 55. The work permit? hmmm...lemmee check.

Requirements for all temporary work visa or permit applicants

There are a number of requirements that all applicants need to meet for a temporary work visa or permit.

To enter New Zealand you must:

* be in good health and of good character, and
* have a passport that is valid for at least three months past the date you are to leave New Zealand, and
* be genuine in wanting to work in New Zealand, and
* have the right visa for your visit.

If you are granted a temporary work permit you need to meet certain conditions during your stay:

* the work you do must be in line with the conditions specified in your permit
* you must keep within New Zealand’s laws
* you must only stay in New Zealand for the time allowed by your permit.

If you break any of these conditions we may require you to leave the country immediately.

You can be refused a visa or permit if:

* you are a person who is not eligible for a visa or a permit under section 7(1) of the Immigration Act 1987, or
* you are in New Zealand unlawfully when you apply or
* we believe that you are likely to stay in New Zealand unlawfully or
* we believe that you would break the conditions we would apply to the visa or permit granted to you.
Doesn't mention anything about age, does it? Tell ya what, why don't you ring NZIS and enquire if there is an age cut off for temporary work permits.