British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Parents....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/parents-501427/)

teambwr47 Dec 24th 2007 3:32 am

Parents.......

So its Christmas eve and the big day for everyone is fast approaching......

As a family we are more than pleased to be here and loving everything we've seen so far about New Zealand. We've settled well, found a lovely country house and all is rosy in the garden so to speak...........well almost all......

I've never been much for talking on the phone but now regularly talk to my mum via skype but rarely my father. For my mum she says it helps hugely with her feelings of missing us but my father well who knows......

During our plans to come here some nasty things were said to us by my father, all of which were how it affected him rather than how good or bad the move would be for us and the kids. Yesterday he happened to walk past the webcam while me the kids and wife were having a laugh with my mother and i'm not sure a person could look more miserable. My wife thought it was all for show and thinking about it i do to and think its just such a shame.

Tomorrow morning is planned to be a Skype present opening session and i hope he's able to pull his head out of the dune he's stuck it in and realise we are actually now living here in NZ and he has to face it.

Many here talk of missing relatives and Christmas can work two ways i guess....it either brings people together or works to drive a wedge deeper than ever and i hope ours and yours is the former.

Merry Christmas to you all whether you're here, still stuck in the UK or wherever. If like me you have parent issues remember you live you life and make your choices for your family but that i feel should mean you and your kids not the wider family.

Maryanne_Tga Dec 24th 2007 4:56 pm

Re: Parents.......

Good luck. I think you just have to live your life for your family now. Always welcome him to communicate, but I ahve seen to many parents throw strops that last years, to promise he will get over it.

Hope it works out.

wimpy Dec 24th 2007 6:14 pm

One day your dad will realise what a wally he is being, so you need to keep trying as you are. Good luck

jackietyfry Dec 24th 2007 7:42 pm

Tell me where they live and I will nip round and give him a bo**ocking !!!;)

Dont stress about those things you can't change, like you said just concentrate on your immediate family - who will love and appreciate you for doing the right thing:thumbup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY!

carriem41 Dec 25th 2007 2:19 am

Hi, can empathise as had a similar problem with my mother, lord knows why as when we were in the UK she never bothered with us and suddenly moving to NZ was a huge problem...we communicate by letter, keep in touch for kids sakes but definatly have a huge sense of freedom moving on and accepting things will never go back to the way they were. I have the most important members of my family with me, hubbie and kids and that will do nicely thankyou!

cappuccino Dec 25th 2007 8:09 am

I've also had problems with my family in the last couple of weeks to the point where my parents are not talking to me over a variety of things they have been bottling up! I leave the UK in 4 weeks time - I just hope they get over whatever it is that is bothering them to enable us to say goodbye properly because I know they will never fly out to see me when I am settled (both have health problems).

To make matters worse, I have just come out of hospital (elective surgery) and they didn't call me either before I went in, or when I came out, to see how I was doing. :(