Paramedics?

Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

soutie50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paramedics?

Hi all, I'm looking at moving over to NZ in about 2 years so want to get my ground work done.
I've heard (don't remember where) that Paramedics and EMTs have moved onto the long term shortage list. Are there many vacancies for this role over there, or is it something that is a work in progress.
I'm going to the NZ Expo in London this weekend so will find out more then, but if anyone could throw some light on the usual things like salary, locations etc that would be great.
Many thanks!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Paramedics?

Yup. It's on the long term shortage list.

Ambulance Paramedic (Advanced Life Support) (411112)
Ambulance Paramedic (Intermediate Life Support) (411112)

Here are a couple of older threads which may help a little. Just click the links

Paramedic thread 1

Paramedic thread 2
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BEVS,
the links are very informative (and daunting!)
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

jim b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I flew out to wellington before christmas for a job interview and got a job offer they wanted me to start within a monthh but negotiated 1 june start date. you need quals asses by ambulance nz only took a week or two. I didn't have a work permit but am applying for residency on the strength of the job offer and immigration have said it is pretty straightforward for paramedics as on skills shortage list. Recruitment for WFA is ongoing at the mo I just qualified as a para last year after being a tech for a few years and I will start off as a ILS paramedic and then become ICP after 3 months training. just get in touch if you need other info jim
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Jim.
I recently went to the NZ Expo in London, which seemed to be mainly geared to health jobs this year. Other countries were represented as well, but the NZ contingent didn't even know that we had moved onto the long term list, or how to find out. I looked at the NZ Ministry of Health site and there were several positions offered.
I think I'm going to see out the Olympics here, which will fall in nicely with my daughter finishing A levels. Hopefully I will then have my "bag" and have more to offer a prospective employer. As it's on the long term list I should still be in witha shout
I'm LAS, which service are you?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

jim b is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm YAS, Olympics sounds good, good luck applying in the future.