Papamoa

Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

lwphysio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Papamoa

Hello
We are new to this forum thingy!
We are hoping to move out to the papamoa area probably not for 18months ish and wanted the lowdown on the area, which ends are good/ not so good; what to look out for when looking at rentals on websites etc.

My wife and I are keen (not very good) surfers and living close to a nice break is a must! we also have our first child poppy so any info on Papamoa all helps!

I am a physio and my wife is a nurse so we shouldnt have too much of a problem with work!!!

Thanks in advance

lwphysio
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Papamoa

Cant help you much with living there but we have just spent a fortnight in Papamoa East and it is a wonderful place.
What was good was as you drive along the main road, there are 'beach access' signs on each side of the road. So which ever side of the road you live you are never far from the beach.
A long way from anywhere else though.
Good luck
Oh, and by the way, you must try the English butchers shop. Forget the street name now it been so long (2 weeks). (thats my freebie next time i am over)
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:35 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by malcoltom
Cant help you much with living there but we have just spent a fortnight in Papamoa East and it is a wonderful place.
What was good was as you drive along the main road, there are 'beach access' signs on each side of the road. So which ever side of the road you live you are never far from the beach.
A long way from anywhere else though.
Good luck
Oh, and by the way, you must try the English butchers shop. Forget the street name now it been so long (2 weeks). (thats my freebie next time i am over)
It's not really a long way from anywhere else when you get used to NZ roads! An hour and 20 mins from Hamilton, 40 mins from Rotorua, an hour from Taupo, 2.5 hours from Auckland, etc, etc ...

It's Doug Jarvis' butchers, Margaret Parkinson from here's son in law's shop on Parton Road!

It's an amazing place to live ... perfect (for us ... )
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It's not really a long way from anywhere else when you get used to NZ roads! An hour and 20 mins from Hamilton, 40 mins from Rotorua, an hour from Taupo, 2.5 hours from Auckland, etc, etc ...

It's Doug Jarvis' butchers, Margaret Parkinson from here's son in law's shop on Parton Road!

It's an amazing place to live ... perfect (for us ... )
Thanks Am Loolah that's saved me a job as you know I plug the shop at every opportunity

I also agree with you its a lovely place to live I can see why Gail, Doug & Ryan chose to live there and for us to visit.

June
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Missing it already Margaret.
Been in sunny Brisbane now for 2 weeks and been spoilt by the good weather.
Having a farewell BBQ tonight and could do with some real English bangers!!!
Gail, can you get some on the next flight to Brisbane?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwphysio
Hello
We are hoping to move out to the papamoa area probably not for 18months ish and wanted the lowdown on the area, which ends are good/ not so good; what to look out for when looking at rentals on websites etc.

My wife and I are keen (not very good) surfers and living close to a nice break is a must! we also have our first child poppy so any info on Papamoa all helps!

I am a physio and my wife is a nurse so we shouldnt have too much of a problem with work!!!

Thanks in advance

lwphysio
Hi,

Tay Street is a 5 minute drive from Papamoa and has some of the best surfing in New Zealand. It holds alot of championships so must be good. Its unique because it has a man made sand bank which gives the BIG breaker waves.
As for areas, there aren`t any really bad areas but would suggest that you avoid Hartford Ave. If there is anywhere that you need checking out then put it on here and I`m sure one of the many Papamoa faithful will check it for you.
Papamoa is a great place to live and the beach life is great. There is a very large English contingent there. I`m sure that you`ll get work at Tauranga hospital, no problem. That`ll be a 20 minute car journey.
Hope this helps
Ash
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

lwphysio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi,

Tay Street is a 5 minute drive from Papamoa and has some of the best surfing in New Zealand. It holds alot of championships so must be good. Its unique because it has a man made sand bank which gives the BIG breaker waves.
As for areas, there aren`t any really bad areas but would suggest that you avoid Hartford Ave. If there is anywhere that you need checking out then put it on here and I`m sure one of the many Papamoa faithful will check it for you.
Papamoa is a great place to live and the beach life is great. There is a very large English contingent there. I`m sure that you`ll get work at Tauranga hospital, no problem. That`ll be a 20 minute car journey.
Hope this helps
Ash

Hi Ash
that is great news, everyone is so friendly on the site!
the butchers shop sounds pretty tasty to me- and as for the surf and lifestyle it is everything we are looking for- think I might surf some real estate sites now.........!
thanks again

Luke
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:08 am
Just Joined

WestcountryGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lwphysio
Hello

Thanks in advance

lwphysio
Papamoa is a fantastic area to live. Plenty of shops, schools, parks - and those beaches !!! You are gonna love it. Try to build up some connections before you move over here and then you will have some "ready made" friends waiting for you. My son works at Tauranga Hospital (Mental Health Ward) and absolutely loves it. Lifestyle so laid back here - after work he just jumps in the car and heads for either the beach to surf, or the gym (Baywave) at The Mount/Papamoa, or with an earlier start he heads for the snow at Ruapehu. My husband golfs every day practically and the fishing is wonderful. BoPlenty is warmer and drier than most places around NZ - very pleasant weatherwise. You'll be asking next "what shall we bring". I would say "bring everything" (you are goona miss Next and good old Marks and Spencer). Keep in touch and I hope all goes well for you.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestcountryGirl
Papamoa is a fantastic area to live. Plenty of shops, schools, parks - and those beaches !!! You are gonna love it. Try to build up some connections before you move over here and then you will have some "ready made" friends waiting for you. My son works at Tauranga Hospital (Mental Health Ward) and absolutely loves it. Lifestyle so laid back here - after work he just jumps in the car and heads for either the beach to surf, or the gym (Baywave) at The Mount/Papamoa, or with an earlier start he heads for the snow at Ruapehu. My husband golfs every day practically and the fishing is wonderful. BoPlenty is warmer and drier than most places around NZ - very pleasant weatherwise. You'll be asking next "what shall we bring". I would say "bring everything" (you are goona miss Next and good old Marks and Spencer). Keep in touch and I hope all goes well for you.

Hi Westcountrygirl,

Whereabouts are you in Tauranga?

Ash in Omokoroa
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi Westcountrygirl,

Whereabouts are you in Tauranga?

Ash in Omokoroa
I prefer countryside to the beach. Bought a house on a large section at Pyes Pa. Only 15-20 mins from Papamoa; 10 mins from supermarket; Rotorua and Hamilton within easy striking distance. Houses more widely spaced so more privacy and quieter. Papamoa houses are rather squashed together (but nothing like the rows of terraced houses in England). We have room for a swimming pool but chose not to have one installed just yet. We wanted to keep an eye on the weather throughout the seasons before we committed. Love it here. No pollution - fresh air - good food - laidback lifestyle. Fab!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I prefer countryside to the beach. Bought a house on a large section at Pyes Pa. Only 15-20 mins from Papamoa; 10 mins from supermarket; Rotorua and Hamilton within easy striking distance. Houses more widely spaced so more privacy and quieter. Papamoa houses are rather squashed together (but nothing like the rows of terraced houses in England). We have room for a swimming pool but chose not to have one installed just yet. We wanted to keep an eye on the weather throughout the seasons before we committed. Love it here. No pollution - fresh air - good food - laidback lifestyle. Fab!

Sounds good. We liked both Freeburn and 12 Acre Wood up your way. Freeburn imparticularly has some lovely houses. We are beach bums so opted for Omokoroa. It reminds us of our small village in the Uk but with added views and beach. Life`s good eh ?

Ash
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:25 am

Whereabouts in the West Country are you from? You should give Marika38 a nudge, she's from Cornwall and is now living here in Papamoa.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Sounds good. We liked both Freeburn and 12 Acre Wood up your way. Freeburn imparticularly has some lovely houses. We are beach bums so opted for Omokoroa. It reminds us of our small village in the Uk but with added views and beach. Life`s good eh ?

Ash
Loved Omokoroa (so pretty - reminded me of Cornwall) but needed to be closer to my daughter (and the grandchildren) in Papamoa.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Whereabouts in the West Country are you from? You should give Marika38 a nudge, she's from Cornwall and is now living here in Papamoa.
We've lived in Bristol, Devon and Cornwall. In Cornwall we lived near Falmouth. Adored it down there but then my husband was transferred (with his work) back to Cirencester/Swindon so that was that. As soon as we got some money together we bought a holiday home at Mylor Bridge. Had to sell it eventually to invest in a business. New Zealand reminds me of Cornwall and Devon.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:37 am

We've lived in Bristol, Devon and Cornwall. In Cornwall we lived near Falmouth. Adored it down there but then my husband was transferred (with his work) back to Cirencester/Swindon so that was that. As soon as we got some money together we bought a holiday home at Mylor Bridge. Had to sell it eventually to invest in a business. New Zealand reminds me of Cornwall and Devon.
I daughters went to school in Truro and our favourite place was St. Ives - sadly couldn't have afforded to live there though! Marika's from Bodmin.
Whereabouts in Papamoa is your daughter? Are her kids at school over here? I've got 2 at Tahaitai, 1 at Tauranga Girls and 1 at Mount College ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.