British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Panic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/panic-795191/)

babybella Apr 26th 2013 3:01 am

Panic

Ok, so my flight is booked for July. But since an assault at work I have been having panic attacks. Am now terrified of being on a plane, confined space and no escape route. Anybody had to deal with this fear of flying, idea's welcome!
Should mention alcohol is not an option
Kaz

escapedtonz Apr 26th 2013 3:58 am

Re: Panic

Probably visit your GP and explain your issues.
May tell you to try herbal 'Kalms' or prescribe you something a little stronger to take the edge off your anxiousness before you get on the flight.......and don't use alcohol. Plenty water and trips around the fuselage to prove your space isn't that small.

jmh Apr 26th 2013 4:42 am

I found learning meditation techniques helped me to deal with panic attacks. Hard to do at first but it became easier as time went on.

Exercise also helps me to deal with stressful moments.

moonie2011 Apr 26th 2013 5:37 am

Rescue remedy, swear by it, doesn't make you drowsy but calms you down. I used to use it before I show jumped which petrified me. Meditation also

More longer term I can recommend a kinesiologist who can help. She can do it via Skype. Pm if you want more info

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 26th 2013 5:58 am

Please see your GP asap. You need professional help with this. I know how panic attacks feel & homeopathic remedies don't work for something so disabling IMHO.

Breathing exercises are definitely beneficial.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you & I hope you can get the help you need (& deserve), so that you can get on with your life panic-free.

GoingIn2011 Apr 26th 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10679021)
Ok, so my flight is booked for July. But since an assault at work I have been having panic attacks. Am now terrified of being on a plane, confined space and no escape route. Anybody had to deal with this fear of flying, idea's welcome!
Should mention alcohol is not an option
Kaz

I used to suffer...
Exercise as said, also propranolol (beta-blocker) helps.
Never went as far as Valium or owt...

sr71 Apr 26th 2013 9:19 am

Only one solution to this and it is benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax, Diazempam etc)

Propanolol really only addresses the symptoms (heart racing), not the anxiety itself.

I once caused a 747 to return to the gate due to my panic attacks, now I fly 250,000 miles a year.

babybella Apr 26th 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks guys, have made an appointment to see GP and been given a link to a very good website on dealing and explaining what is happening during a panic attack
Kaz:)

GoingIn2011 Apr 28th 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 10679264)
Propanolol really only addresses the symptoms (heart racing), not the anxiety itself.

Indeed. It can be useful however to make you feel calmer in the first place - that's what I found anyway... It depends on your triggers...

For me, as soon as I noticed my shakes it would snowball from there. Controlling the shaking - a principal use of Propranolol / Beta-blockers - for me went some way to preventing the panic.

To clear yourself of panic attacks, rule 1 is UNDERSTAND your triggers!

All of that said: for the plane ride something like Valium may well be in order...

For me, the long-term answer is in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, as well as better work-life balance, and good exercise. Drugs can only help you some of the way. That said, all of these can take time, and in the short-term finding the right drugs to prevent your triggers from occurring is important.