British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Panic! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/panic-391158/)

Fidan Aug 17th 2006 6:57 pm

Panic!

Hello All,

We had our EOI selected on Wednesday, so spent last night celebrating. However, we are now panicking, as we didn't realise that one of the checks that they will do before issuing the ITA pack will be to phone OH's employer to make sure that he does actually work there. As we are not planning on going until late next year, he had no intention of telling them yet and would definitely prefer them not to know at this stage. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this please?

Thank you!

StevieB Aug 17th 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Panic!

Originally Posted by Fidan
Hello All,

We had our EOI selected on Wednesday, so spent last night celebrating. However, we are now panicking, as we didn't realise that one of the checks that they will do before issuing the ITA pack will be to phone OH's employer to make sure that he does actually work there. As we are not planning on going until late next year, he had no intention of telling them yet and would definitely prefer them not to know at this stage. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this please?

Thank you!

I can't personally answer you cos we're going on the missus job offer and she hasn't told me whether they actually contacted her place of work when we submitted ours. However, nellyt asked the same question in her thread 'Reference Checking Dilemma' (page 2 of the main threads page). This is what Donnaf (Dannyf's OH) wrote in reply:

"We have used an agent and they advised us that if you don't want your employer to know you can submit P60, original job offer letter and latest pay slip instead - we didn't pursue this as we're in a position to tell our employers so I'm not sure what checking NZIS would do.
Donna"

Don't know if this helps. I think there were other threads that had info about this but I don't remeber which ones they were. I'm sure that someone will give you better info than me soon!! :D

Joshlin Aug 18th 2006 9:50 am

Hello All,

Thank you!

Hi Fiona
They have changed the rules since we applied, but, no-one I know had their current employers contacted. As long as you can provide evidence - contracts, P60's etc you should be OK.
Vicki

Jac&Adie Aug 19th 2006 4:35 pm

Hi ya,

We had our EOI selected in October 2005, None of my previous or current employers have ever been contacted directly by NZIS, so unless things have been changed you should be ok.

However I did need to include letters from all employers current and previous, detailing the start/end dates of my employ, and my job function. This had to be included with the ITA (When I asked my employers for these I didn't tell them the purpose for them).

Hope this helps

Adie

thebears Aug 19th 2006 10:49 pm

Hello All,

Thank you!

Confirmation of employment does not necessary suggest to an employer you are about to leave. If they bring it up you are making long term plans down the track ;)

Fidan Aug 24th 2006 8:33 pm

Hi again,

Thank you all for your advice. At the moment, however, we are still pretty worried, as I emailed NZIS about the issue, saying that we could provide all the necessary written evidence, etc., but they have replied with this -

"If your husband is claiming points for his current employment, we will contact to confirm this and always with the employer and not written evidence from your husband directly."

Obviously OH's work know that we are going on holiday (a.k.a. fact finding mission!) in October, and will be pretty suspicious if someone with a NZ accent phones asking about him too. If they do, I guess all we can do is what has been suggested, i.e. refer to VERY long term plans, etc. ??

I know we have been here before, but any further advice/experiences would be great.

Thank you.