Reload this Page >

Palmerston North renting

Palmerston North renting

Old Jun 16th 2022, 9:46 am
Just Joined

hlcollis1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Palmerston North renting

Hello Everyone,

There's loads of great information on this site so was hoping to get some further insight from anyone who might be able to help.

I'll be relocating to Palmerston North from the UK in mid September. I've got my job lined up (Massey University) and the immigration process in-hand (I think!).

I wanted to get more of a feel for how renting works in New Zeland and what sort of things I should be looking out for in a property (the good or the bad). Are bills usually straightforward to set up (they can be a right mess at some rentals in the UK)?

I'm hoping to go into a houseshare, though the rental market seems to move very quickly in the area so think my budget would stretch to a small sleepout if needed.

What sort of things would make an expat with no financial history in NZ appealing as a tenant for a landlord (rental references seem a big thing which they aren't in the UK). I have enough savings in place to cover rent on a higher end houseshare for the full 2 years of my job contract - am I likely to be asked to pay large amount up front (a common tactic used hy landlords in the UK for expats).

Finally, if you've got this far, thank you. If anyone is currently in the Palmerston North area or knows the area well, where a nice areas to rent in? Any other tips you have for enjoying life in Palmerston North! Thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2022, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Moon_River is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Palmerston North renting

I will give you the advice my husband and I were given when looking for a home to rent in New Zealand, which is to dress smartly as if you were going to a job interview. Yes really. You might see some dog-end dives before you settle on the property you want to rent but it was good advice and we took it.

Here's a link to Trade Me which is a useful source of places to rent or buy or buy a car should you wish to etc etc. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ipgQ8V3zy9eaSG

When we went to the letting agent to view a property some of them gave us the key of the property and wanted a few quid (few bucks) refundable deposit which was returned when we gave the key back after the viewing a couple of hours later as agreed. Eleven years ago it was ten NZ dollars which back then was about five quid. Not all of them do it but it's ok.

Don't know about renting as part of a house share.

Most properties are single storey - just as well in an earthquake zone !

What to look for ? Well, no doubt you've got your own personal taste however, it's the same old rejoinder wrt houses in NZ, the walls are thin and very few houses have double glazing which makes them cold and hard to heat. Mould is an ever present threat. You can ventilate the house by having the windows open but of course, that just makes it colder. Some Kiwis leave their heating on low all day to combat mould then seem astounded at the astronomical heating bill. Tenants are responsible for any mould growth in a property which was caused by them not ventilating the property properly.

Condensation on the windows of a morning gives rise to the phrase, 'crying windows' i.e. condensation on the inside of the windows so thick you can see it running. You will be expected to wipe this dry as part of combating mould.

I used to live in Whanganui which is about a 45 minute drive from Palmerston North, so, I couldn't tell you where is better or not to live. Just follow your nose and use your gut instinct like you would in Britain.

Have a look at the post card information board at the supermarkets when you get to, 'Palmy.' Sometimes there's an advert for a house share or house to rent. Would there be any information on the Massey website regarding renting or a house share ?

It's pretty much the same as renting in Britain (if you've ever done it). You view the property, you say you want it, if they accept your tenancy application, you pay your deposit and required initial rent then you're all good to go. With regard to references could you get one from your bank in Britain and your current and/or future employer ?

Your rental deposit is known as a bond i.e. rent plus bond = sum. Make sure your rental deposit (if one is payable, don't know about house shares) is put into The Tenancy Deposit scheme. This is an NZ govt scheme and it is a legal requirement to have your deposit um, deposited here by the Landlord or letting agent. Make sure you get a receipt for this. Your landlord or letting agent will advise the Tenancy Deposit Scheme when you need this back in full when you give the landlord/letting agent notice to end the tenancy and all is in order. It's a legal requirement that they give it back in a timely manner. If there is any dispute i.e. damage that isn't fair wear and tear or rent arrears etc they can only with hold the disputed amount and return the balance until the dispute is settled. That's only in the case of there being a dispute, of course.

There is a tenancy tribunal service if there are any problems with tenancy that can't be resolved between tenant and landlord/letting agent.

You might have to be a bit, 'thick skinned' for the inevitable turn downs when you are looking for somewhere to rent just because some one else beat you to it or the landlord owed a favour to some one or whatever etc.

Be prepared for Landlord's inspections. They happen before your rent the property which is to be expected. They will also inspect the property as detailed in your rental agreement, (which you read and signed) during your tenancy. You will get the agreed notice of them coming and you're not expected to tidy up just because they are coming but just the sheer fact of having an inspection (which is a five minute wonder tbh) can make you feel a bit uncomfortable.

You will have a set period of time, say, seven days to check the inventory. This is surprisingly time consuming. It's a room by room list, including photos of the property and chattels at the property meaning that the things in the rental are present and in working order. You will need to go through it, in the house, making your own remarks where relevant then sign it and send it back to the landlord/letting agent. If you don't do it in a required time frame, it's taken as read that all is ok. Take your own photos of the property and the things in it as supplied so you have evidence of the existing condition (i.e. an old cooker, a scratch on the wall, a minor dent in an interior door etc) It's a legal requirement in NZ that cookers are to be left in-situ when the property is vacated regardless of whether it is rented or sold.

Last edited by Moon_River; Jun 16th 2022 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Thought of something else.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for such a detailed response. Sounds like it's not too dissimilar to the UK set up (though I wouldn't have thought to dress smartly so thanks for highlighting that).

I'd seen a few bits and pieces about condensation and single glazing, useful to know that's quite common place but I'm sure manageable with some mitigating efforts.

I'm expecting to be knocked back a few times, fortunately I will have a couple of weeks accommodation through my job when I first arrive so will have some breathing room!

Thanks again for the detailed response, it really helps!
Old Jun 20th 2022, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I have been in Palmerston North since 2005. I know the Massey campus well here, I used to live next to it. It is a beautiful campus. Property Brokers are one of the biggest letting agents in town, but have a gander at trademe.co.nz under the property listings for homes to rent here. trademe is our equivalent of your EBay and you can source almost anything from it!

If you would like to PM me maybe if you have a Facebook page we can friend each other and I can give you more information via a chat on Messenger. More than happy to show you around when you get here.

Kind regards,

Dom.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

PS Hokowhitu is a great area and proximate to the University. I would focus on that area.
And when you get here invest in a dehumidifier for your bedroom. They are worth their weight in gold and not expensive to buy or run. You will find a second hand one on trademe!!

Last edited by Genesis; Jun 20th 2022 at 3:33 am.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dom,

Thank you so much for the advice and tips (especially the estate agent and dehumidifier suggestions). Sorry for my slow reply! I had seen that Hokowhitu was popular but nice to have that reaffirmed by a local!