Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Palmerston North, i wish someone told us this

Palmerston North, i wish someone told us this

Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about
Default Palmerston North, i wish someone told us this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi there
we moved to palmerston north from the sunny town of burnley lancs lol.
i am writing what most folk would think is a negative thread, but it is info that i wish we knew before getting here.
Schools over here you HAVE to pay a donation, which can range from $130 a year to $100 dollars per term. The schooling is also way behind the UK, my 4 kids are learning what they learnt 12-18 months ago,
Doctors consultations can be costly too, these are not free either.
Housing, most houses dont have any insullation, they are not double glazed and dont have central heating. I think when they designed these houses they thought that NZ is a lot warmer than it is. We have been frozen this winter as the utility bills for gas and electric are horrendously expensive.
people also told us that NZ is cheap, well it is when you have your uk money but once you get onto the low kiwi wage it is no cheaper in fact probably more expensive than the uk.
Public transport in our region is expensive and nearly non existant, we looked into getting to Auckland, the flights were out of the question, too dear, the bus and train just took far too long and were as nearly expensive as the flights. On A positive, this is the most beautiful country that we have ever visited, most kiwis are brilliant people, we have made some great friends while we have been here.
Other than this we are looking forward to our first full summer here and hopefully our last as we are looking to move to queensland OZ where its WARMER
Sorry if this offends anyone but you only hear the good about NZ, heres the other side of the coin.
all the best

darren
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palmerston North, i wish someone told us this

No need to apologise...that's all fair comment.
I'd managed to pick up on all those things from extensive reading of various threads on here before coming out apart from the fact that wages are much lower....a Kiwi friend in the UK told me about that one..it's the main reason he doesn't wish to return.

We're here on a posting for x years so it's not such an issue for us .......the NZIS info certainly doesn't show the flip sides...just the positives, so it's just as well forums like this exist. It's a long way to relocate without the full facts.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Wink Re: Palmerston North, i wish someone told us this

I think it helps to here both sides the good and the bad especially for people like me who havent moved yet!!

I hope you are happier in queensland it will definately be warmer!!! We initially looked at australia but i think the heat would be to much 20 years growing up in north yorkshire has certainly helped me adjust to cold climates.

At least you are open to trying somewhere else both aus and NZ offer beautiful scenery and better quality of life.

Im not looking forward to poor wages and definately think we might struggle but we will give it a try and if we cant manage i might see you in queensland!!!

Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Have fun in queensland, home of the monster truck show, pig wrestling and other entertainment for the locals! Oh and it rains there too you know!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:52 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Have fun in queensland, home of the monster truck show, pig wrestling and other entertainment for the locals! Oh and it rains there too you know!
funny.

and whats wrong with any of the above? I wouldn't mind seeing some pig wrestling!

Palmy north...difficult one. On the one hand fantastic location - with good access to "nature" and ski fields etc - but sod all there in the actual town. I spent 3 months doing an IT contract there. Lived there during the week and drove home at weekends. I have never felt so glad to be back in welly!!

The most interesting thing which happened was a miniture riot. I woke up at 3am one night and witnessed from my downtown hostel a full on street fight between about 30 people! Windows were smashed, the cops were called.

It was like being in England all over again!!

I also had my car broken into

I have to agree with John Cleese about PN...trust me there are better places in NZ than palmy north!!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi there
we moved to palmerston north from the sunny town of burnley lancs lol.
i am writing what most folk would think is a negative thread, but it is info that i wish we knew before getting here.
Schools over here you HAVE to pay a donation, which can range from $130 a year to $100 dollars per term. The schooling is also way behind the UK, my 4 kids are learning what they learnt 12-18 months ago,
Doctors consultations can be costly too, these are not free either.
Housing, most houses dont have any insullation, they are not double glazed and dont have central heating. I think when they designed these houses they thought that NZ is a lot warmer than it is. We have been frozen this winter as the utility bills for gas and electric are horrendously expensive.
people also told us that NZ is cheap, well it is when you have your uk money but once you get onto the low kiwi wage it is no cheaper in fact probably more expensive than the uk.
Public transport in our region is expensive and nearly non existant, we looked into getting to Auckland, the flights were out of the question, too dear, the bus and train just took far too long and were as nearly expensive as the flights. On A positive, this is the most beautiful country that we have ever visited, most kiwis are brilliant people, we have made some great friends while we have been here.
Other than this we are looking forward to our first full summer here and hopefully our last as we are looking to move to queensland OZ where its WARMER
Sorry if this offends anyone but you only hear the good about NZ, heres the other side of the coin.
all the best

darren
Darren I am a Kiwi and I am not offended one little bit. However as you appear somewhat suprised at the chill factor of the Palmie winter I have to wonder exactly where you did your research ...

Hope Queensland turns out to be all you expect it to be and you settle well.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Oct 22nd 2007 at 2:22 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:49 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Oh I do feel insulted we live just outside Palmie North

All you mentioned well yep no arguement with that but if you got your own car running costs compared to the UK are cheaper. Thats why we dont have public transport

Good luck in Queensland and dont complain during the wet season in the summer with 40c and humidity to match
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
--

darren

Hop over the hills to Napier/Hastings.

It's a different country

Kip
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

I've lived 13 years in Oz, Perth not QLand (thankfully) many many years in the UK including North Yorks and now NZ. Of them all NZ has the best all round to offer in my opinion.

In terms of you wish someone had told you blah blah blah before you arrived...you were the ones moving you should of done your research, no doubt you'll be saying the same after a few months in Oz...especially with all the deadly insects, sea killers and crocs....can see you back in Yorks before long. You have to work at making a place your home, there are negatives for everywhere but positives too until you've been to Oz you won't realise just how many negatives there are...check out the returning to UK thread...most are from Oz.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by phil01
deadly insects, sea killers and crocs....can see you back in Yorks before long. You have to work at making a place your home, there are negatives for everywhere but positives too until you've been to Oz you won't realise just how many negatives there are...check out the returning to UK thread...most are from Oz.
Deadly insects in brisbane? I didn't see any... Not even a snake! I did see some ferocious looking cockroaches I had fun 'taming'. Also big fruit bats. wombats, lizards etc.

I guess the reason why more people ,on the moving back to UK thread, are from OZ is cos there are loads more people moving there than here? Last year alone several of my mates left these shores to go back to their homes, and they weren't all doing it to get away from me!

Mate, how do you explain the huge number of kiwi's going to OZ and the miniscule amount of ozzies moving to NZ? Good PR?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:39 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hoyo
Mate, how do you explain the huge number of kiwi's going to OZ and the miniscule amount of ozzies moving to NZ? Good PR?
There are myriad reasons I'm sure, but the main reason is probably money.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by happynz
There are myriad reasons I'm sure, but the main reason is probably money.
Yeah I think so too. The lure of the almighty OZ dollar. Maybe the weather as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

ollieclaret;

maybe you should have considered a visit 1st before migrating to N/Z. mind you mate it must be better than "Turf Moor" any day, or even worse than Ewood Park.???
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

phil01;
Burnley is in gods country mate (Lancashire) NOT North Yorks
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin

Rain..........where, show me

Also show me where the pig wrestling is, we do get V8 and Indy car racing but I'd love to go to a Monster truck show as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.