PALMERSTON NORTH

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

cardigan2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PALMERSTON NORTH

Hi there i'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the palmerston north area? my husband has just applied to do a course at the ucol there in graphics and animation, its a really big step and one that we are not taking lightly, as it will mean uprooting our family, we have 4 boys so i'm concerned about schools, us settling in, amongst a 101 other things etc, we did try and go down the eoi route as my hubby is a mechanical fitter, but he has a hnd in graphics and advertising and no work experiance in this field, he is really talented and after much soul searching we decided our only option is for him to go back and study, we'd have to sell our house for him to do a degree in this country, so we decided that we may as well be where we want to be with him studying for a future for us all. It may seem drastic but you only get one shot at this life, we have wanted to emmigrate for ages now, so any advice on anything new zealand related would be fab,
many thanks
angela
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: PALMERSTON NORTH

my thread has been moved, not sure why am new to this site, if someone could redirect me? thanks xx
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardigan2
Hi there i'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the palmerston north area? my husband has just applied to do a course at the ucol there in graphics and animation, its a really big step and one that we are not taking lightly, as it will mean uprooting our family, we have 4 boys so i'm concerned about schools, us settling in, amongst a 101 other things etc, we did try and go down the eoi route as my hubby is a mechanical fitter, but he has a hnd in graphics and advertising and no work experiance in this field, he is really talented and after much soul searching we decided our only option is for him to go back and study, we'd have to sell our house for him to do a degree in this country, so we decided that we may as well be where we want to be with him studying for a future for us all. It may seem drastic but you only get one shot at this life, we have wanted to emmigrate for ages now, so any advice on anything new zealand related would be fab,
many thanks
angela
Cue Genesis
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
angela

Been here 5 years now with our 3 small kids. All's well and we really like it here. Town has pop. of 75K. Beautiful town square, endless parks, a totally amazing main library, loads of great bars restaurants and coffee shops, loads of cinemas, theatres, a big river running thru' it, incredible indoor outdoor pool complex and so many things to do for young and old.

Palmy is much maligned but it is a vibrant university town flanked by mountains and very welll placed for visiting many attractions all less than 3 hours away by car. Lake Taupo, Mt Ruapheu for great skiing, Wellington for some capital vibes and the beach is just 40 mins away.

True there are many more desirable and chique places to live rather than Palmy but if you you will pay a price for that. Consequently housing here is very affordable. Our house would have been way beyond our reach had we gone to one of those more desireable place.

Do a search on this site for Palmerston North..you will get lots of info. Alo look at www.pncc.govt.nz and google 'destination Manawatu' Manawatu is our local region. PM me if you like.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Been here 5 years now with our 3 small kids. All's well and we really like it here. Town has pop. of 75K. Beautiful town square, endless parks, a totally amazing main library, loads of great bars restaurants and coffee shops, loads of cinemas, theatres, a big river running thru' it, incredible indoor outdoor pool complex and so many things to do for young and old.

Palmy is much maligned but it is a vibrant university town flanked by mountains and very welll placed for visiting many attractions all less than 3 hours away by car. Lake Taupo, Mt Ruapheu for great skiing, Wellington for some capital vibes and the beach is just 40 mins away.

True there are many more desirable and chique places to live rather than Palmy but if you you will pay a price for that. Consequently housing here is very affordable. Our house would have been way beyond our reach had we gone to one of those more desireable place.

Do a search on this site for Palmerston North..you will get lots of info. Alo look at www.pncc.govt.nz and google 'destination Manawatu' Manawatu is our local region. PM me if you like.
Knew you wouldn't let me down
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:13 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

my thread has been moved, not sure why am new to this site, if someone could redirect me? thanks xx
Just click on the original thread which will now say "moved" and it will automatically redirect you.

I popped it in here in the main forum so you'd hopefully get more replies. And hoped Genesis would see it.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

many thanks for your help and info guys, really appreciate it, we are ready to get the ball rolling now!
thanx angela xx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I visit Palmy to go to Massey University contact courses every few years. I think it's quite pretty and very affordable, as is Fielding, and it has most of what you could want, unless you like to go to a lot of shows, concerts etc and then it will be a bit longer drive to Wellington (2 - 3 hours?). It is inland so doesn't have a beach, but it's only about an hour's drive to one. There are lots of attractions within a few hours drive. The shops are not bad. It's a Uni town so lots of bars (and drunken students on occasions). Good cultural life I think.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 2:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
I lived in Palmy for a year, we left 3months ago to move down to Christchurch. As Genesis said Palmy does tend to get bad press but it really is a pleasant place to live. It's not as expensive as other places, the town centre is pretty and arranged around a grassy square and there doesn't appear to be any more problems with crime compared to other towns [as far as I can see!]. Yes, there are certain areas I'd avoid but that applies to anywhere. It's also fairly centrally placed and many major towns and cities are within 2-3 hours drive from there eg Taupo, Wellington, New Plymouth, Napier and ski fields if you like skiing. We could easily get to Rotorua for a night and back the next day.
So plenty of options for a weekend away or a daytrip.
Hope this helps
Sue
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:38 am
Just Joined

thanks again all the comments are a big help, i grew up in stockport which is now not such a great place to live, tons of crime and steadily declining and now live in leek (near stoke on trent), the people are really friendly its quite a nice town, but there is dog mess all over the pavements, the council are totally corrupt, theres no jobs at all, and somedays i feel like we are just on the scrap heap, things need to change , no where is perfect ,but for us its time to move on, if my husband does get accepted at ucol then things won't be easy we will be taking a big step backwards but hopefully a step forward in other ways, we shall see thanks again
angela xx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I lived in Palmy for a while (after we left Wanganui - ugh - and before we went to Napier - yay) and have visited there a lot.

Its not too bad. Loads of uni students everywhere. Good for shopping.

Central to everything really (well its nor really in the centre but it kinda seems like t is). Only 1 and a half to 2 hours to Napier/Hastings. A couple from Wellington...can even pop over to Ohakune in winter and go up the mountain.

Cheaper than other larger places.

Not bad really.

Unfortunately, no beach. lol
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:29 pm
Banned

Craftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant future

thanks again all the comments are a big help, i grew up in stockport which is now not such a great place to live, tons of crime and steadily declining and now live in leek (near stoke on trent), the people are really friendly its quite a nice town, but there is dog mess all over the pavements, the council are totally corrupt, theres no jobs at all, and somedays i feel like we are just on the scrap heap, things need to change , no where is perfect ,but for us its time to move on, if my husband does get accepted at ucol then things won't be easy we will be taking a big step backwards but hopefully a step forward in other ways, we shall see thanks again
angela xx
Hi Angela

We live outside of Palmy about 40 minutes drive, and have done since 95...My son recently started the same course at UCOl, but is taking a break to save some cash, (he's 23). I like Palmerston, it is a student city, but up and coming, and over the years I have seen many changes. They have been building an indoor shopping precint and totally modernised the Square. Of course you don't have to live in the city as there are lots of small rural towns on the outskirts, like Feilding, Bulls, etc etc. The property tends to be slightly cheaper in these areas but you have to consider fuel and a vehicle as public transport may not be available (there is a UCOL bus that travels from Wanganui to Palmy every day and makes pick ups on the way). We wanted a rural way of life so we have the best of both worlds, country and city when we need to go. Incidently apparently more people visit the cinema in Palmy than any other city in the country!

There are about 4 good beaches within travelling distance, (Himatangi, Waitereire, Scots Ferry, Tangimoana) about 40mins, all good for fishing and mostly empty! Palmy is central for travelling as bananalana said, from where we are we can reach Taupo, New Plymouth, Hastings and Wellington in 2.5 hours by car, so it's idea,

Palmerston North Council web site is a good place to look for details on the city: http://www.pncc.govt.nz/Living/

Also look up sites with the key words: Manawatu, Rangitikei, these are the neighbouring distrists to Palmy and will give you an insight to whats on the outsirts

cheers

Last edited by Craftsman; Mar 6th 2010 at 4:37 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftsman
Hi Angela

We live outside of Palmy about 40 minutes drive, and have done since 95...My son recently started the same course at UCOl, but is taking a break to save some cash, (he's 23). I like Palmerston, it is a student city, but up and coming, and over the years I have seen many changes. They have been building an indoor shopping precint and totally modernised the Square. Of course you don't have to live in the city as there are lots of small rural towns on the outskirts, like Feilding, Bulls, etc etc. The property tends to be slightly cheaper in these areas but you have to consider fuel and a vehicle as public transport may not be available (there is a UCOL bus that travels from Wanganui to Palmy every day and makes pick ups on the way). We wanted a rural way of life so we have the best of both worlds, country and city when we need to go. Incidently apparently more people visit the cinema in Palmy than any other city in the country!

There are about 4 good beaches within travelling distance, (Himatangi, Waitereire, Scots Ferry, Tangimoana) about 40mins, all good for fishing and mostly empty! Palmy is central for travelling as bananalana said, from where we are we can reach Taupo, New Plymouth, Hastings and Wellington in 2.5 hours by car, so it's idea,

Palmerston North Council web site is a good place to look for details on the city: http://www.pncc.govt.nz/Living/

Also look up sites with the key words: Manawatu, Rangitikei, these are the neighbouring distrists to Palmy and will give you an insight to whats on the outsirts

cheers
Palmerston N also has the lowest truancy figs in NZ. So either school's great or the town is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull the kids would rather be at school. Our local council is really good at putting on awesome free events. We have the most amazing hot house in our main park with an incredible mini rain forest criss crossed with paths and then an awesome river walk. We also have a fantastic huge art deco kiddies paddling pool that is ultra cool..its down an avenue in the park fringed by scores of HUGE palm trees..even after 5 years I still have to pinch myself to make sure I am not in a dream!!!! Which is nice.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:24 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Genesis
Palmerston N also has the lowest truancy figs in NZ. So either school's great or the town is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull the kids would rather be at school. Our local council is really good at putting on awesome free events. We have the most amazing hot house in our main park with an incredible mini rain forest criss crossed with paths and then an awesome river walk. We also have a fantastic huge art deco kiddies paddling pool that is ultra cool..its down an avenue in the park fringed by scores of HUGE palm trees..even after 5 years I still have to pinch myself to make sure I am not in a dream!!!! Which is nice.
I still am really confused as to why people diss Palmy. It all looks just great to me. Someone please explain?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

John Cleese wasn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.