Palmerston North

Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Willis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Palmerston North

Hi All

I'm new to this so please be nice

I am just after any comments any one has on Palmerston North

My husband & I are moving there at the end of August.

We visited New Zealand in Febrarury but spend most of our time traveling between job interviews and towns so didn't get to spend long there at all but on first impressions we liked it

So any comments about it would be much appricated
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Palmerston North

Originally Posted by Willis
Hi All

I'm new to this so please be nice

I am just after any comments any one has on Palmerston North

My husband & I are moving there at the end of August.

We visited New Zealand in Febrarury but spend most of our time traveling between job interviews and towns so didn't get to spend long there at all but on first impressions we liked it

So any comments about it would be much appricated
I grew up in Palmie, left in 1998 but family still lives there. As a place to live it can be described as "close to lots of things" which can be viewed as faint praise I guess. 25 min to closest beach, 90 min to central Wellington, 2 hours to hawkes bay. Lots of hillwalking (aka tramping in kiwiland) close by in the Tararua and Ruahine ranges, with native bush and good tracks. University town, during termtime very busy in town, over summer practically dead. I am a Massey graduate, good uni, centre for extramural study in the country, vet college, heaps of business students. Massey is a major employer in town, as are the science centres and the council. The town itself is fairly small, a good place to bring up kids as there is everything you need, good primary and secondary schools and yet the feel of a small town. Housing prices are a lot lower than the major centres.

Hope this helps, feel free to pm,

Merlot.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Merlot

That has made me feel a lot happier about moving to a town that we didn't spend long in.
Hopefully our move wil go well and we will fall in love with Palmerston north.

Thanks x
Old Jun 6th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Willis
Thanks Merlot

That has made me feel a lot happier about moving to a town that we didn't spend long in.
Hopefully our move wil go well and we will fall in love with Palmerston north.

Thanks x
You're welcome!

When you arrive don't expect to be finding a pub culture in PN, apart from the Celtic the pubs may not be what you are looking for (ie mostly student bars, maybe not your scene?). However, the nights when you would normally go out for a pint, think again and head out for a coffee. The cafes are open late, and it is the NZ equivalent to a pub. In PN the best is the George St Deli, it has been there forever and the hot chocs are just fab. And if you like coffee give a 'flat white' a go, my husband misses them so much as over here in the UK they don't exist.

Merlot.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

I will check the coffee place out and let you know what we think
I just love hot chocolate so if its as good as you say i'm sure we will be there all the time

Thank for the advice x
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:10 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Have to concur, I visit Palmy quite a bit and really like it as a town. The new "cafe culture" is a vast improvement on what it used to be like.