Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Painting and Decorating

Painting and Decorating

Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Painting and Decorating

Hi there guys,

Well we all know how bloody expensive it is here to buy paint but Ive taken out a second mortgage and decided to sprooce up the house...Well it is rather rainy outside...

Anyway I was just wondering...Ive done the Spanish White thing downstairs and was wanting to find a nice colour to go on the walls upstairs...Maybe like a Magnolia dare I say it. Like a very light colour for the walls with like a warm shade of yellow tinge to it

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:41 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Painting and Decorating

Originally Posted by NZGrl View Post
Hi there guys,

Well we all know how bloody expensive it is here to buy paint but Ive taken out a second mortgage and decided to sprooce up the house...Well it is rather rainy outside...

Anyway I was just wondering...Ive done the Spanish White thing downstairs and was wanting to find a nice colour to go on the walls upstairs...Maybe like a Magnolia dare I say it. Like a very light colour for the walls with like a warm shade of yellow tinge to it

Any suggestions?
Spanish White IS Magnolia here I believe.

I've been painting now for almost three years - nearly finished and I'm so over it you wouldn't believe! It's been a case of trial and error in every house I've lived in because I'd paint and then decide I didn't like it so I'd start again :curse: This time though I got a Dulux 'Perfect Schemes' so that the colours would actually complement each other. And it's worked a treat. So if you have a look in your paint store to see what goes with Spanish White you will have a much better overall look. It's all about the 'flow'

If you're using any enamel or semi-gloss in this weather make sure you have a dehumidifier going and cut up some onions and leave them around the painted area to absorb the smell
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that...

Im just finding that Spanish White is a bit "Brown"....

Maybe a visit to resene should do the trick!

If you have been painting for 3 years you must have had to take out 2 mortgages
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:32 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl View Post
Thanks for that...

Im just finding that Spanish White is a bit "Brown"....

Maybe a visit to resene should do the trick!

If you have been painting for 3 years you must have had to take out 2 mortgages
Nah, that's WHY I've been doing it for 3 years - I buy the paint as I go.

The 'brown' will come from the darkest colours in the room - if you've got dark curtains for instance. Our whole house was a cold white when we bought it - with dark ceilings - ew it was horrible. I put a creamy colour on the walls first but the ceiling made it look a pale yellow and it still wasn't right. That's when I got the colour scheme thing. Just hope we can sell it before it needs doing again