British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Paint - where do you get it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/paint-where-do-you-get-503126/)

dreamfish Jan 3rd 2008 1:57 am

Paint - where do you get it?

I need some paint to paint over where the kids have ripped off the wallpaper. Just try make the room look half decent for viewers - the landlord is actually moving the house.

So I went to our nearest stockist of paint according to yellow pages, and that is Resene Colorshop

Would i like to join their loyalty scheme, i get 15% off purchases.

Yeh ok, will take this 2 litre tin of paint.

Thanks that will be $54!!!!!!!!!! AFTER DISCOUNT

is this for real? and where should I buy paint from in future?

happynz Jan 3rd 2008 2:15 am

Re: Paint - where do you get it?

Sorry, I can't help other than to offer my commiserations. Paint is stinking expensive here!

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 2:26 am

I'm afraid that sounds about right! :eek: Have you tried Bunnings? Can't remember if they or Mitre 10 sell paint. Haven't got around to that joy yet, it's a long way off for us, but you have my sincere commiserations for having to fix up the walls. :(

Andrew Cross Jan 3rd 2008 3:49 am

Paint is very expensive here I think. It doesn't come in lots of colours either, you have to blend them in the machine and they pot them for you or you can do this yourself. How I miss all the DIY shops that were so cheap and handy in the Uk...

Tan0410 Jan 3rd 2008 4:23 am

Possibly a ridiculous question but you never know.....can you ship water based paint?

Tan

Tan0410 Jan 3rd 2008 4:38 am

On reflection and to answer my own question...guess it is a liquid so NO probably not!

Tan

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 3rd 2008 5:20 am

Here in ChCh, there's a place called The Paint Exchange, where people take their second hand paint and it's bought off them at, like, $1 a litre.

As a customer you can then go there, mix up your own colour, and take it away for $3 a litre. We've used the place for everything we've painted yet. They have loads of stuff, from gloss to water based, to varnish and deck stain. If you're not too fussy on colour, it's THE place to get your paint.

Maybe they have something similar where you live...?

I hope so, as it is just SOOOO cheap :thumbsup:

Good luck!

pascalr Jan 3rd 2008 5:29 am

oooo, no thanks (nz a developed country?)

sarahw Jan 3rd 2008 6:56 am

Apparently the darker colours are more expensive too :confused::blink:????

You could also try Guthrie Bowron - they do good ole Dulux

dreamfish Jan 3rd 2008 7:01 am

have to say, what little i have painted has come up really nice. And looks like it will go the distance.

*I take it back Resene*

just been to warehouse and their stuff is $89 plus. Just bizarre. I think i forget sometimes i am in dollars not pound!!

My poor little heart cant take it!

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 7:12 am

The Warehouse, Bunnings, Mitre 10/Mega all sell paint but you're right it is expensive.

The darker colours cost more because they have to add more tints to it, most paints are coloured to order so you pay for the base paint and the tints are extra.

Another option is to buy just enough testpots for the area you want to paint - mix them together first to even out any variations in the colour.

carriem41 Jan 3rd 2008 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 5732478)
Possibly a ridiculous question but you never know.....can you ship water based paint?

Tan

Yes you can ship emulsion...we brought a huge pot of that common colour! Mind its still sat in the garage.

Tan0410 Jan 4th 2008 3:33 am

Emulsion! That's the word I was looking for yesterday morning ;)

Thanks for reply

whitesand Jan 4th 2008 3:59 am

The Warehouse has some that does the job, but with only limited colours. But it's much, much cheaper than the other places. We bought some and it was fine.

dreamfish Jan 4th 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 5736885)
Emulsion! That's the word I was looking for yesterday morning ;)

Thanks for reply

i asked for emulsion in the shop and they just looked at me blankly.
so i thought i would simplify it and ask for interior wall paint......................................no joy.
so i (was probably sounding exasperated by this point) asked for anything that will paint some walls.

so they advised me i probably need some 'lumberside'.

so i took her word for it.