Paint

Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Post Paint

Can anyone help me with this bizarre problem I seem to be having in finding Paint.

I am wanting to buy a different coloured paint for four rooms, is it me or is this an impossible task? Everywhere I have been (mainly Mitre 10) only sell white then charge by the litre to add a colour (not exactly sure what they charge, I didn't get that far).

Is this right and if so does anyone else out there find this expensive? And if so why is it more expensive in NZ, I suppose the wash and wipe paints will be worse?

I know its probably a stupid posting to many of you, but I love having a different coloured wall in each of my rooms. But if this is the case obviously this ain't going to happen in my new house. I will have to add a different colour though but its looking like it will have to be the same throughout the house. White and kids just don't go, plus I hate white.

Anyone know of the best place to buy paint (by that I mean the cheapest, but will have to have one that I can wipe down).

I apologise for the moan, just don't understand why everywhere only has white paint.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:43 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paint

The price for each tint is about $2.50, best to buy a white base and add tints, some paints are made from Petroleum and things so probably why its so expensive, well it is on Kiwi wages.

Also ask Mitre 10 mega about their paints that are brought back by people who dont like their colour choice, at the one in Dunedin they have 2 pallets of mixed paints and some awesome colours , wash and wear, Dulux etc they are half price some of them, i got 10ltrs of Dulux weathersheild for $65 thats under half price and all that was different was that it had an off white tint, the owners of the house didn't care, it was a good deal.

Also if you know a painter and dec ask them to get it for you, thye would get about $30-40 off a tin.

Thats why you see so many multi coloured houses, some folk go down the local tip and get all the half empty and throw out tins.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Can anyone help me with this bizarre problem I seem to be having in finding Paint.

I am wanting to buy a different coloured paint for four rooms, is it me or is this an impossible task? Everywhere I have been (mainly Mitre 10) only sell white then charge by the litre to add a colour (not exactly sure what they charge, I didn't get that far).

Is this right and if so does anyone else out there find this expensive? And if so why is it more expensive in NZ, I suppose the wash and wipe paints will be worse?

I know its probably a stupid posting to many of you, but I love having a different coloured wall in each of my rooms. But if this is the case obviously this ain't going to happen in my new house. I will have to add a different colour though but its looking like it will have to be the same throughout the house. White and kids just don't go, plus I hate white.

Anyone know of the best place to buy paint (by that I mean the cheapest, but will have to have one that I can wipe down).

I apologise for the moan, just don't understand why everywhere only has white paint.
Can't say I have shopped for paint so can't say really. I am sure someone will come along soon who can answer that one. Do you mean that they add the colour to the white like in the UK when you want a special colour to match something?

Good luck - hope you find some nice colours.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You can get absolutely any colour you like. The only difference is, the colour is added in the shop, not the factory. Why do you think this limits your choice? I don't understand the problem
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You can get absolutely any colour you like. The only difference is, the colour is added in the shop, not the factory. Why do you think this limits your choice? I don't understand the problem
Because I am paying for the white base and then having to pay more for the tint to be added, some of the 10Ltrs tins we have looked at were $156 and that is just the white alone, I find this expensive. Suppose it depends on whether money is an issue or not. To us 10Ltrs is a big chunk out of a weeks wage. Thanks for replying anyway.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
The price for each tint is about $2.50, best to buy a white base and add tints, some paints are made from Petroleum and things so probably why its so expensive, well it is on Kiwi wages.

Also ask Mitre 10 mega about their paints that are brought back by people who dont like their colour choice, at the one in Dunedin they have 2 pallets of mixed paints and some awesome colours , wash and wear, Dulux etc they are half price some of them, i got 10ltrs of Dulux weathersheild for $65 thats under half price and all that was different was that it had an off white tint, the owners of the house didn't care, it was a good deal.

Also if you know a painter and dec ask them to get it for you, thye would get about $30-40 off a tin.

Thats why you see so many multi coloured houses, some folk go down the local tip and get all the half empty and throw out tins.
Cheers for that Fooferfish, will pop along to Mitre 10 and ask if they have any paint brought back. Don't know any painters so know luck there. Might have to scour the local tip though. I'm not proud, needs must and all that on the Kiwi wages.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Because I am paying for the white base and then having to pay more for the tint to be added, some of the 10Ltrs tins we have looked at were $156 and that is just the white alone, I find this expensive. Suppose it depends on whether money is an issue or not. To us 10Ltrs is a big chunk out of a weeks wage. Thanks for replying anyway.
This is how they do it here and yes paint is very expensive. I am a painter/decorator and even with the trade discounts I still find it pricey.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizard
This is how they do it here and yes paint is very expensive. I am a painter/decorator and even with the trade discounts I still find it pricey.
Cheers, one colour it is then
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Paint is extortionate, so are carpets, curtains, whiteware etc. For example, I need a chest freezer, John Lewis £129, $800 for anything similar here.
Seasonal veges are cheap though
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:29 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Paint is extortionate, so are carpets, curtains, whiteware etc. For example, I need a chest freezer, John Lewis £129, $800 for anything similar here.
Seasonal veges are cheap though
Hmmm

So bring lots of the above then!!

Can you ship paint?? I didnt see it on the list of prohibited items so??? Unsure on that one..

Thing is u can beat 5 Litres of B&Q's washable matt paint for £13!!! I'd bring loads of it in all different colours haha

C xxx
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hi YM

Our shippers - Burke Bros. said we can't take paint. But I know of others who have just kept schtum and the packers have put it into the container.

I am tempted to get loads of my fave colour tawny crest, which I have the whole house painted in and ship it over. it's got to be better than the miserable grey I see loads of in a lot of Kiwi homes on Trade-Me!!! But hey. We all have different tastes which is good i guess.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try Guthrie Bowron in a sale. Also Resene do a clubcard loyalty scheme which gets you a % off - can't remember how much though!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:13 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

The resene card gives you the paint at trade prices. Also if you can wait till October Resene have a massive sale when everything is reduced. Thats when I stock up!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:07 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Resene quality is loads better than the likes of mitre 10 (but you do pay for it) - we learnt the hard way and spent a fortune on Mitre10's own branded stuff, then gradually worked our way up the price range until we still were getting crap finish on the paints. Tried Resene and did the job straight away; they also have the trade card; they also have zillions of colour choices as well as your bog standard white/magnolia etc .
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:39 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

and they have some lovely Karen Walker colours too.

When they're mixing the colour for you ask them to use the trade paint as a base - it's cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.