Reload this Page >

Paid parental leave

Paid parental leave

Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Bumblenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paid parental leave

Hi all,
Hoping someone can answer a question for me! A bit of background: I am from th UK and currently here with my partner, he is on a work to residency visa for 30 months and I am partnershiped onto him for the same length of time. After 2 years we are hoping to upgrade to get residency. We are considering starting our family and I have done lots of research into this. It would seem we are covered for maternity care as we hold visas over 2 years and also would qualify for parental leave as I will have been with my employer for over a year. What I can't seem to get an answer to is whether I can get PAID parental leave. Is this counted as a benefit as I know we aren't entitled to those? Or is it seperate as for the leave itself you don't have to be resident? Would love to get someone else's experience on this, or be sign posted to where I can get a definate answer from? Cheers!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:54 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paid parental leave

are you working?

https://employment.govt.nz/leave-and...arental-leave/
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Bumblenz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am, and will have been for well over 12 months. I've seen that website and it says i'm entitled to parental leave regardless of whether i have my residency yet, but it doesn't say anything specific about visas when it comes to the payments. I just don't want to assume and find myself without an income that was expected. Thank you!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:23 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Well on that same page:

https://employment.govt.nz/leave-and...eave-payments/

Best to confirm with WINZ or INZ if those payments are limited by your visa.

If your employer provides paid parental leave entitlement will be...up to them, you'd have to ask.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

"You have worked for at least an average of 10 hours per week for at least any 26 of the 52 weeks up to your due date or date the child comes into your care. This can be for one employer or a combination of employers even if there were periods where you did not work".

It doesn't stipulate on visa and as seasonal workers can get it I think you will be ok
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We went through this last year.
There was no restrictions because of visa. May have been in the past but the rules changed 1st April 2016.
So long as you meet the 6 month or 12 month eligibility rule you should get the payment, which is a government funded payment sent through to your employer who will then pass it on to you in your pay packet. It is nothing to do with the employer. The employer will take direction from the IRD in this matter so your employer should send them the info and it'll be the IRD who decides whether or not you get the PPL payment.

This is the official PDF

https://www.employment.govt.nz/asset...-factsheet.pdf

Paid parental leave (For individuals & families)