Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

packing for the weather!

packing for the weather!

Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Talking packing for the weather!

Hi all,

Just about to sort out what clothes we need to take with us in our cases & which we need to put in the container!

We are flying AirNZ via Hong Kong so we just get the basic 20kg & 7kg hand luggage.

Now, what I want to know is what to pack! We will be arriving in NZ on 16th Feb & we are guessing our container won't be arriving until mid-end April!

How hot is it now & how cold will it get by the end of April & possibly the beginning of May (just in case)?

Just wondered whether we should be packing jumpers, coats etc
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packing for the weather!

We have got tshirts and layers of thin jumpers, i think you have to be prepared for 4 seasons as they say, so i would also include something waterproof and sunglasses.

It's getting exciting now.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:55 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm in Palmerston North and living in t shirts, shorts and skirts at the moment. There has been the odd rainy day and the occasional evening where I've felt the need for a jumper and jeans but generally it's been hot weather clothing only.

I only arrived last month so cannot help with the weather in April I'm afraid.

Maybe bring 1 or 2 woollies and a rain jacket just in case, but at the moment it's hot hot hot

I wore my heavy coat [well it was snowing when I left for Heathrow], scarf, gloves and thick jumper on the plane so I could take more stuff with me! Was very overdressed and very hot when I got off the plane here

Hope the flight goes well and good luck on your new life in NZ

Sue
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cheryl,

It's been hot, hot, hot for the second summer in a row! February is meant to be hotter and drier than December and January! It's a hard life ...

It doesn't stay particularly warm once the sun goes down though, if you think you'll be sitting out in the evenings after about 9pm then a cotton jumper would be an idea.

March/April will still be pretty mild (I hope!) so a couple of cotton jumpers, maybe a fleece and some long trousers/jeans for the evenings again would be an idea. Along with a lightweight waterproof jacket for when it does rain (but is still warm!) You won't need a winter coat until August, and even then I've only had a raincoat.

HTH
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Cheryl,

It's been hot, hot, hot for the second summer in a row! February is meant to be hotter and drier than December and January! It's a hard life ...

It doesn't stay particularly warm once the sun goes down though, if you think you'll be sitting out in the evenings after about 9pm then a cotton jumper would be an idea.

March/April will still be pretty mild (I hope!) so a couple of cotton jumpers, maybe a fleece and some long trousers/jeans for the evenings again would be an idea. Along with a lightweight waterproof jacket for when it does rain (but is still warm!) You won't need a winter coat until August, and even then I've only had a raincoat.

HTH
Pack nothing so there is room in your case for me wife and 3 kids,just in case NZIS turn us down!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:44 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I flew in for a 2 week visit at Christmas and was freezing, mainly because I was used to my warm centrally heated house, and warm centrally heated office at work. Jumpers would be a good idea I think. Don't forget you can buy stuff there if you need it.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Hi all,

Just about to sort out what clothes we need to take with us in our cases & which we need to put in the container!

We are flying AirNZ via Hong Kong so we just get the basic 20kg & 7kg hand luggage.

Now, what I want to know is what to pack! We will be arriving in NZ on 16th Feb & we are guessing our container won't be arriving until mid-end April!

How hot is it now & how cold will it get by the end of April & possibly the beginning of May (just in case)?

Just wondered whether we should be packing jumpers, coats etc
Hi

did you try asking for extra baggage allowance because of emigrating. Friends of ours did that last year and although went with a different airline, they were given extra allowance. However had to argue a bit at the airport, but had the printed email with them and were let on with double allowance.

Best wishes, Lindsay
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsay loo
Hi

did you try asking for extra baggage allowance because of emigrating. Friends of ours did that last year and although went with a different airline, they were given extra allowance. However had to argue a bit at the airport, but had the printed email with them and were let on with double allowance.

Best wishes, Lindsay
Hi Lindsay,

Yes, I've telephoned AirNZ twice & both times they said that Hong Kong go on weight & if we wanted to take extra, we would get charged £35 per kg!

If we had been flying via LA then we would have had 46kg EACH!!

O well, we'll manage!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nick333
Pack nothing so there is room in your case for me wife and 3 kids,just in case NZIS turn us down!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Where in NZ are you heading? We've had gorgeous days in the high 20s and 30s over January, but the last couple of days have been around 15 here in the south. By the end of April most places should be getting cool. Make sure you have some long trousers or jeans and long sleeved tops, but you can probably get by with a jacket or fleece over top until your stuff arrives.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I flew in for a 2 week visit at Christmas and was freezing, mainly because I was used to my warm centrally heated house, and warm centrally heated office at work. Jumpers would be a good idea I think. Don't forget you can buy stuff there if you need it.
Where were you, I can understand that in the winter when the sub-standard insulation of the majority of NZ housing stock is a problem, but in Auckland I haven't needed any heating since Sept.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:10 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Where were you, I can understand that in the winter when the sub-standard insulation of the majority of NZ housing stock is a problem, but in Auckland I haven't needed any heating since Sept.
I was in Auckland, it wasn't particularly cold, but my point was that I was used to a centrally heated lifestyle. The family I was staying with didn't feel cold at all!! I acclimatised in a few days fortunately.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

MrsL has just said "I feel like lying on the deck naked I am so hot....."

/stands back to allow fellow forumites to take in the enormity of this...../

This weekend, being Waitangi Day Weekend, is traditionally the hotest part of the year. And yes it is living up to it with humidity and heat......layers, layers and coverage, plus decent jandals/sandals....that's my clothing recommendation at the moment.
We are just North of Auckland proper BTW and about 150m from the beach.....and it is ruddy hot!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all replies
We will be living in Papamoa (in the Bay of Plenty) woo-hoo!
we will be living in Papamoa
we will be living in Papamoa
...sorry, I just like the sound of that!
So it looks like it's gonna be hot hot hot!