Packing up

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Packing up

Well we move out of our house next Friday - the first real step on the journey to NZ.

I'm not looking forward to being in temporary accommodation for the best part of a year and living half in boxes, half out, but hey while our house was lovely, it's not where we want to be.

It's all been change on paper....now it's real.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Re: Packing up

Best of luck to you ...... time will soon pass and you will find yourself in NZ before you know !!!!!

We are heading out in January, lots to do in the next few months. Shippers coming in to quote over the next week and rental agent coming tonight..... the list is endless eh

will look out for your news of your journey
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:38 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Aah Pointer I remember the moment well back in May and I empathise with you.

I was heartbroken leaving our beautiful home which we had extended and refurbished and which we believed would be our 'forever home'. but the hardest thing for me to deal with was the fact that we weren't moving onto our next 'dream home'.

I felt we were making a terrible mistake giving something so wonderful up and I didn't dare tell my husband (very unlike me!).

We moved into a little rental house in a town nearby and amazingly we have been really happy here. It has allowed us the space to prepare for our major move, we have had a chance to shed our excess belongings and it has been a clear indication of our determination to emigrate to our friends and family who didn't believe we were serious enough to go through with it.

Remain strong and focussed and keep reminding yourself of the future you have promised yourselves in New Zealand and it will be a little easier I hope
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Well we move out of our house next Friday - the first real step on the journey to NZ.

I'm not looking forward to being in temporary accommodation for the best part of a year and living half in boxes, half out, but hey while our house was lovely, it's not where we want to be.

It's all been change on paper....now it's real.
Ooooh how exciting very difficult thing to do but try to not let the stress get to you (particularly with a wedding coming up!) and have fun
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Aah Pointer I remember the moment well back in May and I empathise with you.

I was heartbroken leaving our beautiful home which we had extended and refurbished and which we believed would be our 'forever home'. but the hardest thing for me to deal with was the fact that we weren't moving onto our next 'dream home'.

I felt we were making a terrible mistake giving something so wonderful up and I didn't dare tell my husband (very unlike me!).

We moved into a little rental house in a town nearby and amazingly we have been really happy here. It has allowed us the space to prepare for our major move, we have had a chance to shed our excess belongings and it has been a clear indication of our determination to emigrate to our friends and family who didn't believe we were serious enough to go through with it.

Remain strong and focussed and keep reminding yourself of the future you have promised yourselves in New Zealand and it will be a little easier I hope
That is exactly how we both feel - and yes, we are ditching a lot. Our rental house is out in the country and rustic is one way of describing it. Rather different to our house which was new when we bought it, so very shiney. BUT it is a step towards the lifestyle we want in NZ ie near enough to a big city to work, far enough away to not have to endure it.

Its all the more stressful as my younger dog is causing his own stress a) trip to A&E with a suspected deadly condition which thankfully it wasn't and b) he got hit by a car. Thankfully he seems ok - but I just think they are both very stressed by it all as well as none of us are behaving normally.

No doubts though. One the move is over it's Xmas then leaving my job, then the wedding then the emigration. Too many stressful life events in one year - we'll get off that plane in NZ and collapse!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Its all the more stressful as my younger dog is causing his own stress a) trip to A&E with a suspected deadly condition which thankfully it wasn't and b) he got hit by a car. Thankfully he seems ok - but I just think they are both very stressed by it all as well as none of us are behaving normally.
oh your poor poochy hope he recovers ok

Dogs definitely do pick it up. Ours was a bundle of nerves in the lead up to the move and it took her a good few weeks to settle in this end as well. She's now fine (and curled up next to me snoring) but it's just as hard on the animals as the owners sometimes
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:00 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

On the deadly condition - did you read in this weekends papers about 30+ dogs dying after walking in woodlands across the country - no obvious explanation but green/ blue algae may be responsible. Keep an eye out for any change to your dog including listlessness, vomiting and diarrhoea and licking their paws and get them seen quickly. Death in all cases was rapid.

When we moved house our westie Molly was very stressed and we arranged for a dog walker to come in every day and take her for long walks which helped to release some of the nervous energy and we were also advised to give her skullcap and valerian to calm her down. We plan to use this in the weeks before we leave. You can get it from any good pet shop or online.

We also found Molly very clingy after the move which we used to our advantage to train her to walk off the lead so there were benefits from the experience.

Anyway best of luck. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:03 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Oh yes and can I just add that we have been dealing with Ladyhaye re Mollys shipping and they are first class pet shipping agents. They have bent over backwords to help us and answer the most trivial of questions all of which has taken a lot of the stress out of the process.

We talked to many others but I am delighted with Ladyhaye and confident that they will care for our dog as well as we would.