British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Packing inventory (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/packing-inventory-523757/)

cappuccino Mar 23rd 2008 7:56 am

Packing inventory

My worldly goods were packed up and shipped at the end of February and they have finally arrived in Wellington, awaiting delivery to my new abode.

I retrieved the packing inventory (carbon copy) which I last saw when I signed it off on day of packing, and just realised that I cannot read half the items that they have listed. The problem is that 4 different packers all took their turn to write on the list and each has progressively worse handwriting (and spelling) so its gonna be a great surprise when it all arrives. I'm trying to plan where each box should go when it all gets delivered but I aint getting too far with my planning :thumbdown:

Goodness knows how MAF/Customs are going to work it out

Oh and to make it worse, the papers are crumpled (if anybody remembers my post from the day they were packing - I got all the paperwork wet!)

Welly Wife Mar 23rd 2008 8:06 am

Re: Packing inventory

You may find that there is a copy of your inventory with the NZ distributors. I know NZ Van lines had a copy of ours. Try contacting them to see.

Suzbits Mar 23rd 2008 8:36 am

Hope it all turns up OK. Have you been given a date it should all arrive. Just trying to work out if we rent somewhere when we come over whether we could wait for our stuff to arrive or is it best to rent somewhere furnished and then put our bits into storage when it arrives - is there 'Big Yellow Storage Company' or similar? How long does it take for the container to arrive?

simonmarkellis Mar 23rd 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Suzbits (Post 6099429)
Hope it all turns up OK. Have you been given a date it should all arrive. Just trying to work out if we rent somewhere when we come over whether we could wait for our stuff to arrive or is it best to rent somewhere furnished and then put our bits into storage when it arrives - is there 'Big Yellow Storage Company' or similar? How long does it take for the container to arrive?

How long your contner takes depends alot on when you tell them to ship and whether you have your own container or not, if you share it'll take longer. We rented an unfurnished place when we arrived and then rented the furniture including TV, DVD, fridge freezer... until our stuff finally arrived. If you do ship early, you can store it on dock with the packers over here or rent storage space like big yellow...

cappuccino Mar 23rd 2008 9:15 am

Thanks L I will call NZVL on Tuesday morning when I try to book the delivery.

Does anybody know if its possible to arrange MAF inspection at the point of delivery ie my house not the docks? I remember reading somewhere that it used to be possible but MAF are not keen on it anymore - anybody know the latest preference by MAF?