British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Packing day. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/packing-day-730744/)

DC10 Sep 1st 2011 12:04 pm

Packing day.

Finished work yesterday, clearing out the London flat and packing my bag today, off to Malaysia tomorrow then NZ on the 8th.

Today's objective is to fit eight years of UK life into one 20kg suitcase and a 7kg carry-on bag. Nothing being shipped. :eek:

I think the charity bins and bookshops will be pleased to see me later.

johnht Sep 1st 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Packing day.

Packing day:ohmy:
I'm a few days into my packing fortnight:rofl:
My wife and children left on Monday for Brisbane for a couple of weeks and we should meet up again in NZ in the middle of the month, meanwhile I've got furniture to dismantle and kids bedrooms to sort out amongst other things. I'm just comparing airlines fares, baggage allowances and excess baggage and wondering if I can get away with 20kg on Singapore, 30kg on Emirates, or whether I should go with someone like BA who have a good price for taking a second 23kg bag instead of some ridiculous cost per kg excess.

John.

florabundi Sep 1st 2011 7:04 pm

Good luck to you both! Not looking forward to packing up here. 10+ years of stuff that "might come in handy!":D

DC10 Sep 1st 2011 8:43 pm

Furniture and large electrical goods are the killer - and I have tried hard to avoid accumulating either.

I don't know what it costs to ship a whole container (presumably: a lot), but I know when my parents moved NZ-UK in 2002 they came to the realisation (afterwards) that it really wasn't worth the cost of shipping most stuff. Think about whether it's worth the cost, and whether you could instead make do with raiding the second-hand shops once you arrive. After all, most of your large household items will be second-hand/used by now anyway, and if you can do without them for a few months you can probably do without them.... forever

Very best of luck to my fellow springtime relocators

faye_h Sep 1st 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by johnht (Post 9594307)
Packing day:ohmy:
I'm a few days into my packing fortnight:rofl:
My wife and children left on Monday for Brisbane for a couple of weeks and we should meet up again in NZ in the middle of the month, meanwhile I've got furniture to dismantle and kids bedrooms to sort out amongst other things. I'm just comparing airlines fares, baggage allowances and excess baggage and wondering if I can get away with 20kg on Singapore, 30kg on Emirates, or whether I should go with someone like BA who have a good price for taking a second 23kg bag instead of some ridiculous cost per kg excess.

John.

John - be very wary of BA and the claim to take a second 23kg bag cheap. Unless you are flying with BA all the way (which I don't think you can to NZ) you will not get that deal - they won't tell you this of course until you try to check the bags in at the airport. We made that mistake (after calling them TWICE to check) and were told we would need to pay 500GBP for the second case when we got to the check in desk! :eek: Don't do it! If you can get a decent price with Emirates, fly with them.

johnht Sep 2nd 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by faye_h (Post 9595197)
John - be very wary of BA and the claim to take a second 23kg bag cheap. Unless you are flying with BA all the way (which I don't think you can to NZ) you will not get that deal - they won't tell you this of course until you try to check the bags in at the airport. We made that mistake (after calling them TWICE to check) and were told we would need to pay 500GBP for the second case when we got to the check in desk! :eek: Don't do it! If you can get a decent price with Emirates, fly with them.

Yes, all of the options I found which are called BA flights use some one like American or Qantas for at least part of the trip - and Qantas have a big cost/kg system for excess - as do Emirates but at least you get 30kg to start with.
Today's packing tasks: visit charity shop, empty storage unit, pile up stuff by the side of the road with a 'help yourself' sign, visit tip, dismantle a few bookcases, have a beer:)
John

Luckybird Sep 2nd 2011 8:50 am

Just to add my thoughts about shipping furniture. We only shipped a few bits of furniture (really special pieces :) not that hubby thought so!!! :blink:) and raided second-hand shops/trademe on arrival and got some great pieces of furniture at great prices :thumbup: which I actually prefer to my old run-of-the-mill Ikea stuff!!!

Good luck to you all guys, happy packing and safe travels :fingerscrossed:

HelsnLee Sep 2nd 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by johnht (Post 9595943)
Today's packing tasks: visit charity shop, empty storage unit, pile up stuff by the side of the road with a 'help yourself' sign, visit tip, dismantle a few bookcases, have a beer:)
John

My OH is is in process of doing DIY chores about the house ready to rent it out whilst I'm clearing out cupboards etc!
The 'have a beer!' sounds like the best idea!
Its starting to feel real getting ready to leave we have got a while yet but rather be prepared than stress last minute?
Good luck with packing!:thumbsup:

fychan66 Sep 2nd 2011 2:58 pm

good luck to everyone going over soon.
I'm over for just under a month on Sunday to look around as not been pulled from pool :(. and got shocked about the allowance on luggage.
Going to Wellington but found it was cheaper to fly to Auckland then get internal flight rather than fly direct not realising that the baggage allowance differs on the two flights. Have upgraded my internal flight baggage allowance and it was under £20 to do it before getting there and very easy to do, just skyped them and talked it through but do believe it can be done online as well, so still very much cheaper than a direct flight.

madcow38 Sep 2nd 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Luckybird (Post 9595992)
Just to add my thoughts about shipping furniture. We only shipped a few bits of furniture (really special pieces :) not that hubby thought so!!! :blink:) and raided second-hand shops/trademe on arrival and got some great pieces of furniture at great prices :thumbup: which I actually prefer to my old run-of-the-mill Ikea stuff!!!

Good luck to you all guys, happy packing and safe travels :fingerscrossed:

We Paid £4500 for a container to ship all of our things as we were told many things over here were very expensive/not very nice. Been here just over a week and already found gorgeous and decent priced furniture shops. White goods are more expensive but everything else is readily avaliable. Wishing now had just paid a small amount to ship over sentimental things and left the rest at home.

It really is worth doing your homework and really only you can decide what you MUST bring but with today's rubbish baggage allowance on flights, you could use that as an excuse to shop till you drop when you get her :thumbup:

DC10 Sep 3rd 2011 9:11 am

Well so much for my 20kg bag - it turned out to be 29.7! :ohmy:

Fortunately I happened to be flying with Saudi Arabian Airlines (they offered cheapest one-way LHR-SIN) and they allow 30kg as standard. Will have to do something with the other 10kg as am flying Jetstar on from here. Apparently it's possible to call their call centre and pay a fairly nominal amount.

Incidentally, Saudi are perfectly fine and recommended if the price is right (though they won't get you all the way to Australasia). 90 minute stopover in Riyadh = 4 meals (2+2) instead of standard 2 on the route :thumbup:

Oh, and why can't all airports be like the Asian (as in Asian in NZ usage) ones?

lardyl Sep 3rd 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9597948)
Oh, and why can't all airports be like the Asian (as in Asian in NZ usage) ones?

well that usually involoves anal retentiveness (Swiss/German), police state (Sing), sharia law (mid east) or slave labour (most of the above).

suppose we could shoot to kill on smoking/littering, have our cleaning staff chained up at night and polish the floors with toothbrushes/use gamma radiation to sterilise the toilets after each punter.

I'd rather it was a little dirtier and disorganised :eek: but each to their own ;)

DC10 Sep 4th 2011 3:56 am

Interesting, and largely fair, point. Except that in my experience the Germans have a much less "anally retentive" attitude than those in your (soon to be my) neck of the woods.

Oooooo no, OF COURSE you can't have that bottle of wine with your picnic in the park. Bring the dog on a bus - you're having a laugh, mate?! 4km/h over the speed limit: DANGEROUS CRIMINAL. Etc.

suel9 Sep 4th 2011 4:36 am

Our container is still on the pacific somewhere and should arrive on the 11th. Cost £4000 with Insurance for a 20ft container.
Flights were with Air New Zealand - upgraded to premier economy which has new flash spaceseats. Baggage allowance was then 2x 23kg each in the hold and 2x7kg on the plane.
Flight from Auckland to Napier on much smaller plane but covered by ANZ so no extra charge for luggage on that one.
Slightly more costly flight but don't plan on going back to UK for some time so made the most of it. Came via Los Angeles - quick change over of 1 1/2 hours and no jet lag. :thumbup: