Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

PACKING-AAAAARRRHHH

PACKING-AAAAARRRHHH

Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold
Default PACKING-AAAAARRRHHH

Packing is becoming a mountain of 'where do I start?'!
Still going through the 'clear out the clutter stage!' I seem incapable of organising myself at the mo..

Any tips would be very welcome..

Haven't had the movers in to quote yet as I need to declutter to give a more accurate quote. We leave 19/01/14.

Has anyone packed their own stuff and it survive the journey - how does insurance work if you self pack?

Wish I could wave a magic wand and just be there without this bit.
X
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:54 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PACKING-AAAAARRRHHH

While clearing out the clutter is a good idea, I would get the movers in to quote early on. I found the price didn't change much with more (small house though). You might find paying extra for them to pack it worth the lower stress levels too. I packed my own stuff and had to fill in a form (with Pickfords) estimating the replacement value of things per room. E.g. how much a toaster cost to replace in NZ. It is a time consuming job, but worth the hassle IMO. The stuff hasn't arrived yet, so I can tell you if they have lasted the trip. I have a glass-topped table that they packed. Be interesting to see if it makes it in one piece.

Make sure you clean outdoor stuff (bikes, garden stuff etc) thoroughly. They actually ask you on the MAFF how you cleaned it!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future

I read somewhere that there is a specific disinfectant or soap that Maff that they like u to use, but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure I found it on this site too. Did you pack your own jewelry and clothes? or did u just leave the things hanging in the wardrobe and the movers pack them all? Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Jeyes Fluid seems a popular cleaning agent. Even though it's a drain cleaner so I didn't use it. Unless I could have got everything, 'forensically' clean there wasn't much point. In my view, it just had to be 'good enough'. However, please go ahead and do what you need to do.

The packers packed all the excess clothes that were hanging in the wardrobe or in drawers that I hadn't put in my suitcase. I chose to hand carry my jewellery. I just put it in an old handbag which I put in my suitcase. I'm old enough to be in possession of 'family jewellery' and the sentimental attachment it brings. That's not to say there's not any sentiment to any of your possessions.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 10th 2013 at 7:10 pm. Reason: clothes and jewellery
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future

LOL Snapshot, I just wondered whether the movers would make a fuss about whether you packed stuff yourself... I don't have any valuable jewellery at all, just sentimental. I am sentimental about a lot of things! I have 2 big mirrors that belonged to my grandparents.... quite nervous about those...

As for the cleaning, I didn't know how rigorous they'd be... ie should we just scrub our willies with any old soap??? or should we chuck em, and buy new? it seems a bit of a lottery what they do check, which is frustrating!

I hope everything arrives safely for you... who did you use BTW?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

OMG : Oooppppsssss meant WELLIES..... NOT WILLIES!!!! SORRY
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You need to check if items you pack yourself will be covered by marine insurance.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we packed some of our own stuff, air freight stuff and the packer unpacked it and repacked. They took out batteries we had put in there and said we couldn't pack them.

To be honest if you want them to come over unbroken I would get the packers to pack them as they do it all day everyday and know how to do it. Our packers used much more packing then we every would of
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:36 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trinamch
OMG : Oooppppsssss meant WELLIES..... NOT WILLIES!!!! SORRY
I just nearly lost a mouthful of tea reading that!

I packed all my own plastic tubs. The men asked what was in each one, just a brief description. They wrapped up my furniture and that was it. All personal items were packed by myself. As for my willies ( Wellies ) I washed them with washing up liquid, put them in my wooden chest and that was it. No inspection at the NZ end either.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Glad I gave you a laugh Pippa! I hope no burns were sustained! and thanks Mrs. F and everybody for the advice. Sorry LB Welly, I seem to have hijacked your post... Not quite at the packing stage yet, but hoping it won't be tooo much longer. Good luck with YOUR packing, moving and settling. X
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lb welly
Packing is becoming a mountain of 'where do I start?'!
Still going through the 'clear out the clutter stage!' I seem incapable of organising myself at the mo..

Any tips would be very welcome..

Haven't had the movers in to quote yet as I need to declutter to give a more accurate quote. We leave 19/01/14.

Has anyone packed their own stuff and it survive the journey - how does insurance work if you self pack?

Wish I could wave a magic wand and just be there without this bit.
X
Think you need to get the movers in fairly quickly so you know they can fit your stuff on their ships at your time scales.
I think most movers have their own idea's of what can be packed and how the insurance works out. Don't just take the packers quote for insurance call round other marine insurers, Leyton Percival is one that we used and was recommended on here by some users but I am sure there are others around. Of course you would need to discuss with them about packing and insuring.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

you do need to clean all shoes, tents and gardening equip etc there is every chance they will be inspected as well as your hoover, we used jeys spray
we are just about to recieve our goods which included 2 bikes gardening tools, outdoor plant pots, shoes, studded sports boots, 3 tents and garden furniture
we have been inspected but non of the items needed further cleaning also we carried in our luggage a pair of football boots which we declared and had to show customs upon arrival the cleanliness
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Also, keep a list of those types of items and what you used to clean them ,You will need that paperwork when the container arrives into port here in NZ.

Jeyes Fluid is the most commonly used cleaning fluid.

I strongly had the thought that items that were self packed were noted by shipping company packers and so not covered by marine insurance.

You also need to keep a copy of the bill of lading ( inventory) for when the container arrives at the other end. Check that against what comes off.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Quotes coming next week. Packers will only insure what they pack. Getting butterflies just thinking about it. Thank you everyone. � ����

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.