British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Packhouse picking. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/packhouse-picking-912578/)

BEVS May 9th 2018 4:42 am

Packhouse picking.

So. We don't want too many tourists. We don't want certain sorts of tourist. We don't want the WHV touring campervan lot. We're not keen on the Pacificas when they come for a season so clamped down on what they could/could not do whilst here.

Now we are crying out for packhouse workers . So much so govt amended their own policy.

Article.

Justcol May 9th 2018 5:31 am

Re: Packhouse picking.

cut benefits, they'll soon fill vacancies

Clappy May 13th 2018 5:14 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12496369)
So. We don't want too many tourists. We don't want certain sorts of tourist. We don't want the WHV touring campervan lot. We're not keen on the Pacificas when they come for a season so clamped down on what they could/could not do whilst here.

Now we are crying out for packhouse workers . So much so govt amended their own policy.

Article.

How will Kiwi businesses survive if they can't get people that will work for them for next-to-nothing?

I have only lived in this country for nine years so don't have the same perspective as those that have lived here longer. In my limited experience I arrived at a time the employment market had few roles vacant and an abundance of candidates for them. During that time salaries have not risen at all.

The job-market is changing - I keep reminding myself not to get angry about the past - instead I should work out how to profit from the changes.

Charismatic May 13th 2018 6:10 am

For the first time in over a decade we are seeing slack start to come out of the labour market. This special treatment undermines wage growth for low income New Zealanders. What it comes down to is that if you want people to do a job you have to pay them a commensurate wage. Business need to plan and manage their labour requirements.

BEVS May 22nd 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12498460)
How will Kiwi businesses survive if they can't get people that will work for them for next-to-nothing?

Which types of business do you mean?

Kiwis today do not wish to do the traditional semi rural jobs at semi rural prices.It is looked down on.

If you do not wish to see a rise in the prices of some foodstuffs then you have to accept those workers willing to work for that minimum wage and a container full of useful goodies.

The seasons are short here. You want reasonable priced fruit and veg for that short season it is available, then accept the workers that bring that in , for Kiwis do not want this work.

It is not what I agree with but it is a part of NZ.

Clappy May 23rd 2018 5:22 am

I have only lived in this country for nine years so don't have the same perspective as those that have lived here longer. In my limited experience I arrived at a time the employment market had few roles vacant and an abundance of candidates for them. During that time salaries have not risen at all.

The job-market is changing - I keep reminding myself not to get angry about the past - instead I should work out how to profit from the changes.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12503484)
Which types of business do you mean?

Kiwis today do not wish to do the traditional semi rural jobs at semi rural prices.It is looked down on.

If you do not wish to see a rise in the prices of some foodstuffs then you have to accept those workers willing to work for that minimum wage and a container full of useful goodies.

The seasons are short here. You want reasonable priced fruit and veg for that short season it is available, then accept the workers that bring that in , for Kiwis do not want this work.

It is not what I agree with but it is a part of NZ.

I was being a bit flippant really based on a stereotype but, thinking about it, if you visit Queenstown as a tourist I bet most of the people that you would interact with are young people on temporary visas (I never actually asked a single one of them.about their visa status but from their accents and demeanor that is the impression I got, I am also sure that I read reports not too long ago that the tourism bosses in Queenstown were complaining that the price of living accommodation there made it difficult for them to get staff).

BEVS May 23rd 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12503950)
I was being a bit flippant really based on a stereotype but, thinking about it, if you visit Queenstown as a tourist I bet most of the people that you would interact with are young people on temporary visas (I never actually asked a single one of them.about their visa status but from their accents and demeanor that is the impression I got, I am also sure that I read reports not too long ago that the tourism bosses in Queenstown were complaining that the price of living accommodation there made it difficult for them to get staff).

Ah! Those would be the ones on a working holiday visa most like.

Accom is stretched beyond capacity down there.

Justcol May 24th 2018 7:24 am

The same way all similar businesses all around the world do. Exploitation isnt exclusive to NZ,