Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OZ Pernament Residence has expired?

OZ Pernament Residence has expired?

Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

ineedhelp09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OZ Pernament Residence has expired?

I have been staying in NZ for almost one year. I entered NZ as a permanent resident of OZ and was granted Residence Permit based on my OZ PR and my OZ PR will be expired by the end of next month.

After my OZ PR expires, does it mean I am staying in NZ illegally?
Does it mean I will have to leave NZ and then apply for a visa to NZ?

When the Australian PR expires, does the NZ PR expire too? Or are the two countries' PRs handled independently once they are issued?

Thanks!

Last edited by ineedhelp09; Nov 19th 2009 at 12:27 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

powderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant future
Default Re: OZ Pernament Residence has expired?

Hi ineedhelp09,

I would recommend that you contact NZ immigration services (via the phone or their website: www.immigration.govt.nz) and ask them the question directly. I have had similar questions and had varying success in getting definative answers from them.

My understanding however is that what counts is the NZ permanent residence permit stamped in your passport. If you have this then you can legally (as it says) remain in NZ indefinately - however this entitlement expires when you leave the country (even if you only leave for a day!).

In order to be able to leave NZ (holidays/work etc) and be allowed to return as a permanent resident you will need to apply for a resident return visa (RRV). There is info (somewhere hard to find) on the NZ immigration website whcih gives the conditions for each of the RRV's available (they vary from 14day validity to permanent validity).

If you do speak to NZ immigration services please share any info they give you.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
powderman75
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:49 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but how can Australian permanent residence expire?

Surely its permanent, isn't it?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It depends on the conditions attached to that offer of OZ PR . Not that I know anything about Oz Immy. I don't. I simply read this other post from ineedhelp09

Originally Posted by ineedhelp09
9th Nov 09

I have been granted Australian Permanent Resident Visa recently under the state sponsorship. The condition of the granting is to live in the sponsoring state for at least two years. I am wondering if I go to Australia to activate my visa and just stay for one day and then I go to New Zealand, do I need to get another New Zealand Visa labled on my passport? And I stay in New Zealand for a long time, say, three years, what will happen to my Australian Permanent Residence Visa? And what about my status in New Zealand?
Now call me an old sour puss but I'd say this bloke has little intention of fulfilling the requirements attached to his OZ PR visa .

Also note the inconsistency of this persons status and actual country of residence

I have been staying in NZ for almost one year. I entered NZ as a permanent resident of OZ
and

I am wondering if I go to Australia to activate my visa and just stay for one day and then I go to New Zealand

Let's hope that NZIS and OZ immy are wise to this sort of thing and talk to each other.

Makes a mockery of those of us that enter NZ or OZ properly.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:22 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Well spotted, Bevs

I hadn't seen the other post. Clearly more going on here than meets the eye
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but how can Australian permanent residence expire?

Surely its permanent, isn't it?
But you have to be resident though. There is a time limit on how long you can be out of Australia and then the PR expires. I think it is five years.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:52 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

But if its anything like NZ rules, in order to gain your IRRV and be able to come and go freely you have to have met the conditions of PR so if they state you should be present living/working in Oz for x amount of months in the initial 2 year period in order to gain/retain PR and an IRRV and you haven't done that, then surely you have to start the process again?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:24 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Your Australian PR stamp can only be re-issued by OZ govt. Here is a link to their website in NZ. http://www.australia.org.nz/

NZ PR likewise will require a re-ssue by the issuing authority (NZ govt). You should find info somewhere on this site: http://newzealand.govt.nz/.

I don't think you actually lose PR status, just that a stamp in passport might need updating. Not sure as I've never needed to apply for residency.

Good luck with it.