Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OZ to NZ - anyone?

OZ to NZ - anyone?

Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:32 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of
Smile Re: OZ to NZ - anyone?

Originally Posted by TopCat3
For various reasons I'm a bit "over" Australia and am considering New Zealand to live, I'm thinking Napier or Tauranga - that general area anyway - North Island and east side - warm temps and more sheltered from the weather.

I'm 59 and single. Quiet life but like a bit of cafe "buzz" and a little quirky/alternative maybe. Want a high % European heritage demographic.

Anyone got anything to offer in terms of experience, support, warnings please?

Thanks folks.
If you want a guarantee of work, Auckland.
If you want solitude - Milford Sound.
If you want high caucasion population, rural canterbury.
If you want a bit of cafe society - Wellington/Nelson/Golden Bay
in fact anywhere in NZ there are cafes, the coffee here is fantastic!
If you want clement weather all year round - Marlborough
If you want friendly people but possible shakes - Christchurch
If you want high retired population - Kapiti coast
But I would explore New Zealand, working in different areas. both north and south island. Nowhere is the same. That way you will have an interesting introduction with variety and not have a one sided view of NZ.
However, I advise - do not buy your house until you have lived in an area for a year or more. It may seem hunky dory at first but then you can be out of work and then there could be problems rather than a hassle free time.
It is difficult to get work in one's profession and one has to be flexible and prepared to wash dishes, clean houses, clean out stables, etc etc but it is all part of the Kiwi Experience!

If I had the opportunity again, I would travel around the entire country, working in different areas and towns and rural areas. spend about two years doing that and then decide where to put down roots.

Lots of people in their 50s and 60s travel around in camper vans and they always look like they are having the time of their lives. And they nearly always take their cats with them so you would have similar company on your travels!
Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by tweetweet; Aug 21st 2011 at 6:35 am.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: OZ to NZ - anyone?

We arrived in Auckland on 28 February 2011 en route to Christchurch. Yes we were aware of the February earthquake on 22 Feb but it was to late to change our plans. We had sold our house, quit our jobs, shipped our furniture, sent our money to NZ and said goodbye to family and friends. We stayed a couple of weeks extra in Auckland hoping to find work but whilst my husband and I registered at employment agencies and applied for work directly to employers it was no go. He's a kiwi, I've got a family category visa. Trying to speak to landlords regarding somewhere to rent was like talking to a wall, don't know why.
Anyway, we arrived in Christchurch on 21 March as my husband had a job interview the next day. That went no where. We got a 2 bed house to rent in Christchurch whilst continuing to look for work. I got four weeks temp work. My husband got nothing at all. Just interviews but no job offers. So, he decided to apply for jobs all over NZ. This was after 11 weeks with the end of our savings in sight and us planning to return to Britian with no money. Fortunately my husband was offered a job and a relocation package to another NZ city and the rest is history.
Come and experience NZ for yourself. Auckland is a big busy city with a high Asian population and the anti-Asian sentiment makes me cringe. Don't forget NZ has a population of 4.5million in a country the size of Britain. Britain has a population of over 60 million. I wouldn't like to comment on what is perceived to be better. Which doesn't really matter as TopCat3 is in Australia ! The NZ national anthem now has maori lyrics which are are always sung first before the English lyrics at formal functions.

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Aug 21st 2011 at 8:44 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:04 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Thank you Sel. Where in Oz are you at present? And in a nutshell - no need for personal disclosure if that's private/concerns you, may I ask what has inspired your decision to move and what it is about NZ that attracts?
Hi
We are in WA, been here 5 years now and our decision was mainly down to environmental factors, the heat, mozzies etc. Did consider an interstate move but I totally fell in love with NZ when I visited my mate and have been pining for the green green grass ever since.

Where in OZ are you based TC ?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:06 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
That says it all
HAHA
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We were also and Oz to NZ. Applied for a Skilled Migrant visa in Oz back in Oct 2008 but it never came through as still in progress thanks to Oz Immigration constantly changing the rules. I asked for our money back but was told no, cancel or wait, so 3 years later we are still waiting but have no intention of going to Oz now as are happy in NZ with our PR
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sel
Hi
We are in WA, been here 5 years now and our decision was mainly down to environmental factors, the heat, mozzies etc. Did consider an interstate move but I totally fell in love with NZ when I visited my mate and have been pining for the green green grass ever since.

Where in OZ are you based TC ?
Sydney. Inner West 8km from city.