British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OZ to NZ - anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oz-nz-anyone-729136/)

TopCat3 Aug 18th 2011 9:26 pm

OZ to NZ - anyone?

For various reasons I'm a bit "over" Australia and am considering New Zealand to live, I'm thinking Napier or Tauranga - that general area anyway - North Island and east side - warm temps and more sheltered from the weather.

I'm 59 and single. Quiet life but like a bit of cafe "buzz" and a little quirky/alternative maybe. Want a high % European heritage demographic.

Anyone got anything to offer in terms of experience, support, warnings please?

Thanks folks.

sel Aug 19th 2011 3:12 am

Re: OZ to NZ - anyone?

Originally Posted by TopCat3 (Post 9567839)
For various reasons I'm a bit "over" Australia and am considering New Zealand to live, I'm thinking Napier or Tauranga - that general area anyway - North Island and east side - warm temps and more sheltered from the weather.

I'm 59 and single. Quiet life but like a bit of cafe "buzz" and a little quirky/alternative maybe. Want a high % European heritage demographic.

Thanks folks.

Hi there

At last someone else "OZ TO NZ" ... I thought I was alone :D

We are in the process of trying to sell the house and will be going over as soon as. We will be heading to North Island Carterton or surrounds. Sorry not able to be much help with where would suit you etc but glad to help if I can.

Sel x

Am Loolah Aug 19th 2011 3:26 am

Is your are of choice to live dictated to by employment opportunities or job offers as that might make a difference to where I'd suggest?

The Coromandel used to be known for it's alternative "arty" lifestyle. It still seems to exist in some areas. Handy to Auckland for city visiting and warm, temperate climate. Nice towns in the Coromandel include Whitianga and Thames among others. Beautiful beaches too.

Tauranga is a great climate. Beachside living is Mount Maunganui and Papamoa. The Mount has a great coffee/cafe culture and many a fine morning can be whiled away with a walk up or round the Mount (Mauao) followed by a coffee opposite the beach. Both areas very beachy, laid back atmosphere. The Mount does get pretty busy for here in the Summer.

Napier is a pretty place, bigger than I thought when I visited. But I found the beach a let down compared to Tauranga.:o

love30stm Aug 19th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sel (Post 9568233)
Hi there

We are in the process of trying to sell the house and will be going over as soon as. We will be heading to North Island Carterton or surrounds. Sorry not able to be much help with where would suit you etc but glad to help if I can.

Sel x

That says it all :p

BEVS Aug 19th 2011 6:35 am

Don't write off The Mainland.

Nelson and Bays - Golden Bay may suit .

TopCat3 Aug 19th 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by sel (Post 9568233)
Hi there

Sel x

Thank you Sel. Where in Oz are you at present? And in a nutshell - no need for personal disclosure if that's private/concerns you, may I ask what has inspired your decision to move and what it is about NZ that attracts?

TopCat3 Aug 19th 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9568256)
Is your are of choice to live dictated to by employment opportunities or job offers as that might make a difference to where I'd suggest?

The Coromandel used to be known for it's alternative "arty" lifestyle. It still seems to exist in some areas. Handy to Auckland for city visiting and warm, temperate climate. Nice towns in the Coromandel include Whitianga and Thames among others. Beautiful beaches too.

Tauranga is a great climate. Beachside living is Mount Maunganui and Papamoa. The Mount has a great coffee/cafe culture and many a fine morning can be whiled away with a walk up or round the Mount (Mauao) followed by a coffee opposite the beach. Both areas very beachy, laid back atmosphere. The Mount does get pretty busy for here in the Summer.

Napier is a pretty place, bigger than I thought when I visited. But I found the beach a let down compared to Tauranga.:o

Very helpful info for jump-off points for research thank you Am Loolah. Yes Napier was of interest. Reading other threads Tauranga is looking less appealing - social issues?

Yes I will need to work and am concerned about the age issue and that I have picked up from other threads that employment can be difficult when they spot the English accent. Not having a particular industry skill will make it challenging I think too.

Any thoughts on employment challenges, anyone?

TopCat3 Aug 19th 2011 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9568469)
Don't write off The Mainland.

Nelson and Bays - Golden Bay may suit .

Thanks Bevs. I really need to look closely at the maps I thought it was pretty much a choice of North or South Islands. I'm literally just a few days into this.
Mainland? Unwell today when more up to it will get to the old Atlas and some bookshops.

Expat Kiwi Aug 19th 2011 8:42 am

Want a high % European heritage demographic.

What's one of them :confused:

You do know that New Zealand is bi-cultural don't you? If you're looking for a white ghetto you're going to have a long and lonely search.

TopCat3 Aug 19th 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9568666)
What's one of them :confused:

You do know that New Zealand is bi-cultural don't you? If you're looking for a white ghetto you're going to have a long and lonely search.

Not sure what you mean by a white "ghetto". I have no intention of living in a ghetto of any hue. I want to live in a place that has a high European demographic as opposed to highly mixed or predominantly non-Euro identity. From initial searches I have learned that there are places which have a higher European background demographic than others. I hope that makes sense.

Debbie2NZ Aug 20th 2011 3:23 am

Good luck with your move and job search. Looking for work in NZ can be like pulling teeth. What is your profession ? Healthcare workers are always in demand it seems. Although neither my husband or I work in those fields. He's a management accountant and it took over 3 months for him to be offered a job while we lived off our savings. I'm still looking for work in office admin.

BEVS Aug 20th 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by TopCat3 (Post 9568582)
Thanks Bevs. I really need to look closely at the maps I thought it was pretty much a choice of North or South Islands. I'm literally just a few days into this.
Mainland? Unwell today when more up to it will get to the old Atlas and some bookshops.

HeHe. In New Zealand the South Island is generally described as The Mainland. It's a sort of joke thing.

Nelson and Bays has great weather . If you need employment though, you will need to investigate more.

TopCat3 Aug 20th 2011 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Debbi**** (Post 9570578)
Good luck with your move and job search. Looking for work in NZ can be like pulling teeth. What is your profession ? Healthcare workers are always in demand it seems. Although neither my husband or I work in those fields. He's a management accountant and it took over 3 months for him to be offered a job while we lived off our savings. I'm still looking for work in office admin.

Yup, me too, office admin, accounts, collections, customer service etc any of that.
For how long have you been looking? BTW I was retrenched last May and I'm still looking for perm work here in Sydney - been doing casual or short term contracts with temp agencies, can't think it could get much worse than this?

JAJ Aug 20th 2011 2:46 pm

Are you an Australian citizen? If so, you can live in New Zealand without any problems provided you have no serious health or character issues.

TopCat3 Aug 21st 2011 3:48 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9571267)
Are you an Australian citizen? If so, you can live in New Zealand without any problems provided you have no serious health or character issues.

Thanks JAJ and I am aware of that which is one of its appeals - apart from being a relatively easy move with my cats, one of which is paralysed and couldn't reasonably go on a long flight. I was more asking about lifestyle, work, flavour of areas etc. Thanks for your input.