Oz first then Nz

Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default Oz first then Nz

Hi Folks,

Australia has so many more jobs advertised than Nz. If you get a job in Oz (how easy is it?) when could one move over to Nz to work?

Thanks x
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:41 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz first then Nz

Hi Imz,

Have a look at this Wiki entry hope it helps.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi Folks,

Australia has so many more jobs advertised than Nz. If you get a job in Oz (how easy is it?) when could one move over to Nz to work?

Thanks x
more job means MORE COMPETITIONS. Its tough.

remind me of some funny times I had in oz - once I applied a job (don't remember what it was tho - it was crap sort of job ) at Woolies in Sydney, One position, with 68 applicants.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 1st 2010 at 10:42 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crap coffee

remind me of some funny times I had in oz - once I applied a job (don't remember what it was tho - it was crap sort of job ) at Woolies in Sydney, One position, with 68 applicants.
We moved to Oz in March last year...my partner applied for loads of jobs and never heard anything back.

Yes there are many many mor ejobs advertise dhere but like the previous poster says...much more competition and many of them skilled/qualified.

There was a news story here (in OZ) and in april or so last year (height of the GFC) a sandwich assistant position had 200 applicants....many of whom had degrees and various other qualifications + experience in other roles.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

in regards to your other question about moving to NZ.

Australian citizens and NZ citizens are free to move between the two countries

I am a NZ citizen (born there) and just moved over to Oz...no paper work nothing, they give you a stamp when you get here (a special category visa) and once I have been here 2 years I get all the same rights as ozzies (I just cant vote or work for the fed gov unless I get citizenship - bugger).

My partner on the other hand is english and he had PR in NZ and he now has TR in Oz for 5 years on a "spouse of a NZ citizen" visa.

Probably npot helpful info at all lol
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
once I have been here 2 yearsI get all the same rights as ozzies(I just cant vote or work for the fed gov unless I get citizenship - bugger).
to work for the ozzie fed gov - I dont' know for sure what they are up to these days, however I do know a girl (a Kiwi citizen - No ozzie) - VUW Accounting graduate - her first job was working for Oz govt in Canberra - her dad told me she got a good letter from her prof.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 2nd 2010 at 11:54 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

to work for the ozzie fed gov - I dont' know for sure what they are up to these days, however I do know a girl (a Kiwi citizen - No ozzie) - VUW Accounting graduate - her first job was working for Oz govt in Canberra - her dad told me she got a good letter from her prof.
but is she working for state gov (ACT) or federal government (whole of Oz)?

Last edited by bananalana; Apr 3rd 2010 at 1:44 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:47 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

That's nothing. A police officer vacancy in North-Yorkshire, for 30 places, attracted circa 350,000 applications!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi Folks,

Thanks x
Getting work in OZ is a lot easier than getting work in NZ. Firstly, you don't need 'OZ' experience, like you need 'kiwi' experience to get work in NZ.

There are loads more jobs, and ozzies definetly have a more welcoming 'give you a go' type philosophy.

OZ's economy is more robust than NZ's is.

Also, if you get OZ Permanent residence you can automatically work in NZ, whereas NZ permanent residency does not entitle you to work in OZ.

Conclusion : makes more sense on paper to move to OZ.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

but is she working for state gov (ACT) or federal government (whole of Oz)?
All I know is she works for The Treasury in Canberra. no more information..not sure ozzz govt recruit NZ graduates ? (I don't think so..but it doesn't mean you can't/are not allowed to work for them. She is a good example tho - must be rare..) I really don't know about ozzz govt, but NZ govt do recruit people officially _only_ from UK, OZ, US, and Canada. (except some particular positions for instance D of Internal Affair - where my brother works for and you must be a citizen - All information is treated as strictly confidential. well I don't even know his work email address.. He said Not allowed to give his work email to outsiders. thought its utterly funny, or silly!!!) My partner (English) also worked for NZ govt. and his best workmate was Canadian. (drinking with him most of the time too ) At my work: 20% are Germans, least 35% are Brits. not many Kiwis... maybe it depends which dept you work for eh.

Oz companies do recruit nz graduates tho... I also know a Kiwi girl (VUW Finance graduate - 1st class honours) she got recruited by JP Morgan in Sydney through her prof as well. She told me, she get paid 4x more than her Kiwi peers who work for NZ finance companies... It seems that VUW Commerce graduates popular ..

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 3rd 2010 at 4:06 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am a NZ citizen (born there) and just moved over to Oz...no paper work nothing, they give you a stamp when you get here (a special category visa) and once I have been here 2 years I get all the same rights as ozzies (I just cant vote or work for the fed gov unless I get citizenship - bugger).
You don't automatically get permanent resident rights after 2 years.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia

The 461 visa for your spouse isn't a great visa long term:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

You should both be looking to see if you are eligible for permanent residence, eg through skills, state or employer nomination.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't automatically get permanent resident rights after 2 years.

You should both be looking to see if you are eligible for permanent residence, eg through skills, state or employer nomination.
thats what I tried to say yesterday. automatically get permanent resident rights after 2 years --- Expired February 2001!!! Not Any More!!!!!

luckily I arrived in 2000 so.... I could apply ozzz citizenship by 2002 but I left within two years...
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thats what I tried to say yesterday. automatically get permanent resident rights after 2 years --- Expired February 2001!!! Not Any More!!!!!

luckily I arrived in 2000 so.... I could apply ozzz citizenship by 2002 but I left within two years...
Are you aware that you may be an "eligible" New Zealand citizen, on that basis? Were you physically in Australia on 26 February 2001 or did you spend a total of 365 days in Australia between 26 Feb 1999 and 26 Feb 2001?

If YES to either question, you should apply for a certificate of status which proves that you still have permanent resident rights. It will be important should you want claim welfare, show that an Australian born child is an Australian citizen, or apply for Australian citizenship yourself.

It also means you could sponsor your husband for permanent residence, however due to the initial temporary status of spouse visa he might have a better route to permanent residence from his 461 visa. How long have you been married, do you have children, and what is his occupation?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We were in Oz last year and I applied for tons of IT Sys Admin roles and never heard back once. The misses applied for lots of Marketing Executive/PA/Secretarial roles and again never heard anything.

We came to Auckland with probably 1/5th of the jobs advertised, and both got the 1st job we applied for.

Quality, not quantity.