The Overlander

Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Overlander

The Overlander is a train journey from Auckland to Wellington or vice versa. It costs @ $49 to $69 one way if you can get one of the current deals. We took this trip on Sunday and it was a spectacular trip with great views. The weather on Sunday was fantastic and you could see for miles. All of the mountain ranges were spectacular and covered in beautiful white snow. Even Mt Taranaki showed itself in all of it splendour.

The journey takes about 12 hours but the views were brilliant. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has limited time visiting NZ but wants to get an idea of the great scenery we have here. I loved it because I am normally the driver and often I miss the scenery as I navigate the twisting roads.

The negatives are this is a long trip, great in good weather, but I would imagine pretty miserable in poor weather. There is not a lot for children to do, so they could get quite bored. Not alot to do for the rest of the passengers other than eat, drink and absorb the views

The positives are the views and being able to relax and just take in the beautiful countryside we have here while drinking wine

You probably would only want to do this once - but you never know.

The website is
www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/overlander.aspx
Attached Thumbnails The Overlander-kapiti-coast-july09-087.jpg   The Overlander-views-overlander-july09-098.jpg   The Overlander-views-overlander-july09-090.jpg   The Overlander-views-overlander-july09-116.jpg   The Overlander-views-overlander-july09-118.jpg  

Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all
Default Re: The Overlander

I'd love to see the volcanoes like that. It's always cloudy when I go North from Welly.

I have to admit though, I don't fancy the long journey on the train.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Forgive my stupid question, but is that 12 hours one way or return?

Nice pics btw!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent pics. I'm hoping to pick it up in Hamilton and down to Welly as one of my "To Do" items on my list. A friend recommended I stay the following day in Wellington as you arrive in Welly at 7PM and the train back in the morning is 7AM so not much time before you're back on board! Is this what you did?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet
Forgive my stupid question, but is that 12 hours one way or return?

Nice pics btw!
One way only! Before the train line opened over 100 years ago it took 3 days by a variety of transport methods.

But obviously this is not as quick as the plane
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Excellent pics. I'm hoping to pick it up in Hamilton and down to Welly as one of my "To Do" items on my list. A friend recommended I stay the following day in Wellington as you arrive in Welly at 7PM and the train back in the morning is 7AM so not much time before you're back on board! Is this what you did?
We flew down from Auckland and took the train back. We managed to get a cheap Jetstar deal so it worked out cheaper than taking the return.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:31 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

That was my idea... Plus I see they have Crazy Sunday deals...

Me & OH are thinking of flying down one Friday eve, Visit Welly the Saturday, Rock the dancefloor Saturday night & on the train @ 7am Sunday...

Then there's plan B - In bed all day @ the hotel! lol
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:29 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
The Overlander is a train journey from Auckland to Wellington or vice versa. It costs @ $49 to $69 one way if you can get one of the current deals. We took this trip on Sunday and it was a spectacular trip with great views. The weather on Sunday was fantastic and you could see for miles. All of the mountain ranges were spectacular and covered in beautiful white snow. Even Mt Taranaki showed itself in all of it splendour.

The journey takes about 12 hours but the views were brilliant. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has limited time visiting NZ but wants to get an idea of the great scenery we have here. I loved it because I am normally the driver and often I miss the scenery as I navigate the twisting roads.

The negatives are this is a long trip, great in good weather, but I would imagine pretty miserable in poor weather. There is not a lot for children to do, so they could get quite bored. Not alot to do for the rest of the passengers other than eat, drink and absorb the views

The positives are the views and being able to relax and just take in the beautiful countryside we have here while drinking wine

You probably would only want to do this once - but you never know.

The website is
www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/overlander.aspx
This a good trip but have to say the trans-scenic from Greymouth to Christchurch in the winter is just awesome. Going thru arthurs pass with thick snow very spectacular. Havn't done the kaikoura run yet, but am sure I will ....
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
This a good trip but have to say the trans-scenic from Greymouth to Christchurch in the winter is just awesome. Going thru arthurs pass with thick snow very spectacular. Havn't done the kaikoura run yet, but am sure I will ....
Yep. I did the TranzAlpine Christchurch-Greymouth-Christchurch and the TranzCoastal Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton and although both were brilliant, the TranzAlpine was the pick of the two. I did it in October and it was great in the spring (and not too cold on the viewing platform) but I remember thinking that I wished I'd done it even just a few weeks earlier as there would have been even more snow around Arthurs Pass. The TranzCoastal is pretty spectacular too, but not quite so dramatic in my opinion (but then I am rather partial to mountains, having lived in the French Alps...)

Will have to try this Overlander one day so that I have the hat trick...!

Last edited by Moosette; Jul 28th 2009 at 11:52 am. Reason: (in)consistent spelling!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Could somebody please point me in the right direction for flight deals to Christchurch within NZ?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is next on my list - Christchurch to Greymouth. Will have to wait until next year
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:02 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjax
Could somebody please point me in the right direction for flight deals to Christchurch within NZ?
www.airnewzealand.co.nz and for their special deals www.grabaseat.co.nz
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We did this but just do it one way by train and bus the other. There is a coach company and does a daily run called West Coast Shuttle. Google it.

Its run by a lovely man called Cedric. If you book it tell it June sent you.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

[QUOTE=nero;7790173]One way only! Before the train line opened over 100 years ago it took 3 days by a variety of transport methods.

WOW - thats worse than British Rail!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:23 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Overlander. The train goes through parts of the country that the road doesn't go, and some of the scenery is spectacular.