Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Over Qualified !!!

Over Qualified !!!

Old May 13th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Over Qualified !!!

After spending most of last week in the Wellington region, doing the rounds of job agencies and having two interviews, i'm still no further forward.

First job lost to someone internally, and the second I heard back from today, I was interviewed on Friday, they loved me, EA to 3 senior directors, and the only hurdle left was to meet them (2 women and 1 man). Today I hear back that they have decided after being shown my cv that i'm 'over qualified' and so the job will be re-advertised as basically it was mine.

I just give up, after being told in the past i'm 'under qualified' - which by the way I can understand, to be 'over qualified' beggers belief, do they think I won't stay, or are they threatened that I would know more than them, - either way I think it sucks - all I want is a job and even that seems to illude me.

Turned out to be an expensive few days, as I had an argument with a corporate cab too.

Hopefully something will turn up soon - rant over
Old May 13th 2013, 10:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over Qualified !!!

from someone who used to sit in and be part of a team that used to employ people in the UK unfortunately it does seem to be the thought that yes if candidate is over qualified they are more likely to be using this application as a stop gap until something better comes along, which means the company spends time and money on employing someone they don't believe will stay long so will often not want to employ them.
It stinks and I was never happy with it but at the end of the day I was first and second interviewer and it came down to the Mangers in the end.

Did you manage to speak to some agencies whilst you were here?
If you do need to come back down this way for interviews I could offer you a blow up bed/put me up bed to save on hotel rooms if needs be
Old May 13th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes registered with 4 personally, and have just registered with two others via the internet. Two of them were excellent and are actively looking for work for me either full time or long term temp - hopefully they will find something.

I found some agencies seemed very good, friendly, proficient and very organised, whilst some just didnt - with those I dont think I will get anywhere.

Thanks for the offer re put-me-up, may take you up on that - all this tooing and frowing is getting expensive.
Old May 14th 2013, 2:19 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

My wife got that a lot when looking for a job when we first arrived.
Also "No Kiwi experience"
and at one place she was told she wouldn't fit in because it was mostly blokes, even though she told them about her last job in the UK supervising a shop floor with all blokes and one other woman.
Old May 14th 2013, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

My wife knows the feeling about being rejected for over qualified

Yet if she wants to do the job she did back in the UK, she'd have to do a nurse qualification

In a no win situation at all.

Oh and she doesn't drive which is a big negative. So much for wanting to be a green country!
Old May 14th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apparently due to being 'over qualified' I wouldnt have been the right 'fit' either
Old May 15th 2013, 8:20 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Got pipped to the post for a job today. So that's drawn a blank from both of my most recent interviews.

I've, um, kinda had enough of this now. Getting mentally prepared for interviews, if I even get an interview, just to be told, yet again that it's no go.
Old May 17th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

So sorry, dont give up, I know its hard but hopefully something good will happen soon
Old May 17th 2013, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

chez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nicechez7 is just really nice

NZ is still prejudice against pommies I found that out a lot when applying for supervisory jobs and I was well qualified to do them.I think they are scared you know more than them .They tend to forget that the majority of them are of pommie descent and not that far back for a lot of them
Old May 17th 2013, 9:09 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary View Post
So sorry, dont give up, I know its hard but hopefully something good will happen soon
Thanks, and from me to you
Old May 21st 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

krisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chez7 View Post
NZ is still prejudice against pommies I found that out a lot when applying for supervisory jobs and I was well qualified to do them.I think they are scared you know more than them .They tend to forget that the majority of them are of pommie descent and not that far back for a lot of them
I don't think that is the case, it might be as simple as the fact you did not fit the bill, no NZ experience, not currently employed (we all know employers prefer to employer someone that is currently employed, instead of taking someone off benefits, or in ex pats case, savings).

I had the same problem when I went back to NZ in 2003, up to then I had left school at 17 and went to UK where I worked for 10 years, I had no NZ experience, no formal qualifications, but plenty of real world experience, I struggled to get a job, my wifes son though, Brunel degree, but no experience = no job, eventually after doing a NZ course he got a job.

I returned to the UK in 2010 and after applying for about 450 jobs in 6 months, and 3 interviews, I got a job, but only cos it was a kiwi guy and his scottish wife, even now, I've been looking for jobs in London, but focusing on Devon, nothing, Hays Personnel had me up for 1, I was her top candidate, fit for a job in Torquay, but they came back saying my CV was too IT oriented, they had an IT person so didn't need me, that was a dumb excuse, my CV is not too IT oriented, I reckoned it was a case of the practice manager being worried that I was more qualified than him, having gained 4 years of CAD experience in NZ, it meant I may have known more about the business than him.

My point being, it is a world wide phenomenon, the economic climate doesn't help and employers are very careful about who they pick, when I was hiring and firing in Tauranga, I hated the whole process and I wanted to make sure that the person I went with was gonna stay put, regardless of their nationality or gender.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by krisby View Post
I don't think that is the case, it might be as simple as the fact you did not fit the bill, no NZ experience, not currently employed (we all know employers prefer to employer someone that is currently employed, instead of taking someone off benefits, or in ex pats case, savings)
Just as a counterpoint I would like to say that I got a temporary job last year in New Zealand, working for a local authority after looking for work for a year. I was able to refer to the work I had done on a temporary basis in Christchurch, NZ at the interview. Basically, this was the only offer I got in a whole year applying for work, then either getting interviews or getting ignored, the usual hoopla.

Yes I've had a total of four individual interviews this year so far and wasn't offered anything. The last turn down was much to my chargrin. However, it's just the way it goes. Is it going to stop me looking ? No.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 21st 2013 at 10:53 pm. Reason: more underlining required
Old May 21st 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

However, it's just the way it goes. Is it going to stop me looking ? No.
Thats the spirit - good for you!!
Old May 22nd 2013, 1:44 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any consolation I have kiwi clients coming to me at the moment with the same complaints. Sending off lots of CV's, getting no replies etc. It's particularly bad because the job market is so tight. You are at a bigger disadvantage if you have no local experience, but otherwise, being a Brit is unlikely to hinder you (unless they sense you believe you are superior to them - for some reason that doesn't go down too well).

Recruitment consultants are saying they get 100+ CV's for some jobs, so I guess that's why you are not getting a personal reply from them.

The job market is tough out there - all I can advise is to keep on going. If you can, try networking and approaching people directly if you have any contacts.
Old May 22nd 2013, 1:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip on CV's. I recently discovered that some NZ recruitment companies are using software to shortlist applicants. I knew this happened in the US and Australia but wasn't aware of it in NZ. I now know that it is being used here. Google "ATS resume" for a good range of sites with advice on how to improve your chances of getting shortlisted via ATS software.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.