On our way soon

Old May 20th 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

transientmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On our way soon

Hi I'm Claire and a couple of weeks ago my partner was offered a job in Paraparaumu with the Wellington Free Ambulance Service and suddenly..before you know it... we ARE going to New Zealand!!! He starts in September and there is so much to sort out.

The job is for two years so at the moment we are looking at it as a big adventure followed by a return to the UK...I mean I have no idea how we are going to tell our parents that we are taking their beloved, precious grandchildren away for two years, never mind forever!!!

And I am really anxious about the children. We came to New Zealand for three months last year and they absolutely loved it but at 9, 5 and 2 they are very settled at their respective schools and nurseries and I wonder if I am being unfair to them. I just want us all to live life to the fullest and embrace new experiences but what about their need for security?

Am going to check out your forums straight away. Hopefully somebody will be able to suggest a place where I can look for rentals other than Trade Me and Realestate agents as we can't find anything at all half decent despite the wealth of amazing properties we could afford to buy if we sold our house here.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having friends to turn to in cyber space with my troubles and general anxiety/excitement.

Also once we are there and settled I will be happy to advise the next batch of newbies...can't wait to be in that situation!

Bye for now

Claire
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On our way soon

Hello & Welcome Claire.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Teresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really nice

Hi Claire

Welcome, we have lived in Paraparaumu for just under a year now and it is a beautiful place. Can't help with the rentals - we just looked on Trade Me for ours.

Teresa
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Firstly, don't worry about the kids. Paraparaumu & surrounds are loaded with things for all ages to do. You'll be pleasantly surprised as to how you can fill a day.

My husband's boss & his wife found a rental for us prior to us coming over & I wonder if you could have the same luck with the new employers or maybe some of the staff? Any chance you could ask?

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:06 am
Tracey and Chris

traceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to all

Hi Claire,
You will love Paraparaumu! It is such a lovely place! Your kids will love it too i'm sure! The beach is fantastic there and there are always lots of activities going on! It is only an hour (if that) from Wellington also - whis is such a fantastic little city!
Trademe really is the best place to look for rental properties - that is where most people advertise and get a rental! Keep looking - something will come up!
Are you bringing your furniture etc. out with you? If so - then maybe just rent a short term furnished place for now and then that will give you a chance to look around for somewhere once you get out here! You really do want to go and visit the rental property before signing up as some of the pictures make the places look so much nicer than they actually are - or the opposite - and do not do the place justice!
Good luck anyway!
xx
Tracey
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome. Welcome to our cosy little NZ forum. Brilliant news abut the job.

Have a good browse around the place and Happy Postings.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare. What is it that is putting you off the rentals on Trademe? Is it price, location or just bad photography . After several years of trawling through property sites, I never cease to be amazed by the photos that are put up, showing a pair of curtains, a washbasin, contents of a wardrobe etc!
A lot of properties in NZ are single story and open plan. They are certainly different to UK housing stock but then, they should be as they are in NZ .
Carry on posting, ask about specific areas etc and someone will be able to help you, I am sure.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Hi again and thanks for the lovely welcome and all the good advice.

We loved Paraparaumu and stayed on the beach at Manly Street last year (we were spoiled, the kids played in the dunes all day and the view of Kapiti Island was magical). Sadly we can't afford to rent on the beach long term and in our efforts to get away from anything resembling suburbia we decided we would like to go rural, have a massive great garden to roam about in and send the kids to a small village school. Unfortunately, though there is a lot of lifestyle property for sale really cheaply in the areas north of Paraparaumu like Te Horo, Manakau and Ohau there is little available to rent and certainly nothing furnished.

I think we will just have to wait until we get to New Zealand to look even if that means keeping the kids off school until we find the right place. After all we didn't explore those areas when we were in New Zealand and they may not be as I imagine anyhow.

And you're right about the bizarre photography..I've seen close ups of wardrobes, flowers and artwork but it's not the homes that put me off, I love New Zealand style homes, it's just all the ones I like are for sale not for rent..tbh though I will miss central heating!

Anyhow...time to stop worrying about it... I think I'll just book myself another bach on the beach for the first couple of weeks and go from there. Now that doesn't sound too bad at all...

Maybe see some of you in a cafe in P'ram soon..

Claire xx
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

nicjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire,

We came out last June from Sheffield as my partner got a paramedic job with wellington Free! What position is your husband taking up? we (me Jim and our 2 year old boy) are currently renting in raumati south - nice but a bit quiet for us, but paraparam is just up the road and has heaps for children. Jim sometimes works at Paraparaumu - nice little station. The shift pattern is so much better here 4 on 4 off - works out really nicely.

good luck with everything - trade me is the best place to look for houses and you may be able to negotiate the rent too, when you look at the price remember you don't have to pay council tax or water rates.

Keep in touch!

nichole
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: On our way soon

Hi great to hear from you Nichole How are you settling in?

Looks like Leo (my youngest) may have someone to play with out there! I won't be working in NZ so will have lots of time to spend with him in the day while the kids are at school and it would be great to know another mum with toddler in tow.

Ben will be working as an ECP based in P'ram. He worked there for 3 months last year and loved it. We met a lot of the paramedics there and they were all really friendly and up for a laugh. (Well they all laughed at me passing out early after a few too many wines)!

Thanks for the tip regarding council tax. That does make a big difference, I thought tenants had to pay that as they do here. Hopefully something will come up which ticks all the boxes in the next month. I know I am being very fussy! We love Raumati Beach and Raumati South and both schools look nice. I would actually prefer Raumati South to P'ram as I fancy a nice big rural plot if poss.

Hope you are having a lovely time. Is the winter warmer than in Sheffield? Do you think we could get away without a heat pump?

Claire
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:58 am
Just Joined

nicjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire

yes there is plenty here for the little ones and lots of play groups to meet people - as you probably know. The paramedics are great up here - JIm says they remember you! - you sound like a woman after my own heart - passing out after a few wines - we don't get out enough!

I think you could get away without a heat pump as long as you have a fire/ woodburner and some radiators as when the southerleys blow it can get a bit nippy. The house we were in last winter was lovely in the back but freezing in the front where the living room and front bedroom were as it never got any sun in the front. just make sure you get a house with big windows and plenty of all day sun - that should keep your house toasty and free of damp. The winter is fab in comparison to UK - especially sheffield and if you have a nice sheltered garden you'll be in your t shirts on the sunny days.

any other questions - fire away

nichole