Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our trip - any other "must-dos" please?

Our trip - any other "must-dos" please?

Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our trip - any other "must-dos" please?

Finally, after a mere 4.5 years living here, we have planned our first major motorcycle trip to the North Island for 12 nights.

Cleverly I inadvertently managed to coincide our first night away with the Rugby Sevens so nowhere to stay in Wellington after a very long first day travelling up to Picton for the Interislander. So we have a room booked on the Kapaiti coast instead - it'll do, I suppose

Our trip also covers Valentines night - anther challenge to find a room

It's not that clear, but I attach a snapshot of my hand drawings to show where we're going. It has been compiled with advice from others and some of the apparently odd routes/detours are to take in good motorcycling roads recommended by this site

Basically we have booked nice places to stay (deserved after all that riding!) in
Paekakariri - first night on Kapiti Coast
Napier
Taupo - two nights so we can ride the Volcano Loop
Bay of Plenty - free house for three nights from work mate - so we can ride the east Cape and visit Rotorua
Whitianga - so we can ride the Coromandel
Cambridge - via some lovely biking roads
New Plymouth - via some lovely biking roads
Whanganui, maybe, to visit a fellow BE-er
then home

Any comments, ideas? some of our days are full on riding but not all of them.

Jan
Attached Thumbnails Our trip - any other "must-dos" please?-holiday-tour-2014.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our trip - any other "must-dos" please?

Used to ride a bike a very long time ago (Katana). Don't know what your schedule is, but looking at your map, is there any reason for heading North through flat and boring Otaki Straights and Palmerston North, apart from time and distance?

If I had all the time in the world to get to Hastings on a bike and wanted some good riding, I'd ride from Paekak over the Hill Road and the Haywards, or even the Akatarawas and over the Rimutakas and north, maybe going to Castle Point to visit mates in Masterton. I'd also do the Gentle Annie, Napier to Taihape, now that's it's all sealed.

Whitianga: take the little ferry to the other side of the harbour, check out the walks on the other side and the historically-interesting graveyard. Ride carefully over the Coromandel, plenty of nutters (on bikes) pulling out to pass trucks. Whanganui: State Highway 4 from the Plateau is lovely as you near the town. East side of Lake Taupo: bit dull and congested during busy times, but if you're into fishing, Turangi is worth some time. Get some soaking time in if you're near any hot springs near Rotorua, up near the lakes.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purrball
Used to ride a bike a very long time ago (Katana). Don't know what your schedule is, but looking at your map, is there any reason for heading North through flat and boring Otaki Straights and Palmerston North, apart from time and distance?

If I had all the time in the world to get to Hastings on a bike and wanted some good riding, I'd ride from Paekak over the Hill Road and the Haywards, or even the Akatarawas and over the Rimutakas and north, maybe going to Castle Point to visit mates in Masterton. I'd also do the Gentle Annie, Napier to Taihape, now that's it's all sealed.

Thanks! Not knowing the north island very well, and needing to get from the Kapiti coast to Napier in one day I did not know of any other routes - I have included the Manawatu Gorge on that day and that's about all - is there a better way? A nice hotel awaits us in Napier

EDIT - having consulted a somewhat bigger map I see that if we went back thru Wellington/UpperHutt on the SH2 that's maybe what you mean?

Cheers

Jan

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Dec 28th 2013 at 6:18 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Thanks! Not knowing the north island very well, and needing to get from the Kapiti coast to Napier in one day I did not know of any other routes - I have included the Manawatu Gorge on that day and that's about all - is there a better way? A nice hotel awaits us in Napier

The Manuwatu Gorge used to scare the crap out of us as kids in the back of the car, although not as scary as the Rimutakas!

I guess it comes down to weather, road conditions and time and how much biking you want to do. It's pretty dull riding up to Palmerston North, especially past Waikanae. If it was my trip, leaving Paekak and wanting to get to Napier in time for dinner, I'd still leave 2-3 hours earlier and take the much longer, but more interesting roads for riding on the routes I've described over to the Wairarapa. Wouldn't recommend it for those travelling by car, but by bike is a different matter. Bit easier to make up time.

Akatarawa Road over to Hutt Valley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHATY9CZxAE

Paekakariki Hill Road over to Hutt Valley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLNJyMgZj8

Hutt Valley over Rimutakas to Wairarapa, Masterton and North to Hastings/Napier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-0pL79spDM
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

At least the roads mostly seem to have fences When riding in the Swiss Alps and the Dolomites a few years ago I was scared stupid by the unfenced dropoffs

Thanks heaps, seems we have a new route on day 2

Jan
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:45 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent info here folks Wife and myself biking up in Feb and will be using some of these routes....keep them coming.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Featherston, on the other side of the Rimutakas, is a good place to get some coffee, stretch your legs and have a quick look around. I've heard good things about Mount Bruce Wildlife Centre, although that was from friends who love birdwatching. Might be a good place for lunch.

If the weather's nice in Paekak when you get in from the ferry, take a walk along the beach. It's lovely up there. The better fish and chip shop is the little one just north of the railway station.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

If you ride past Porirua Harbour leaving Wellington, I hope it's a sunny day as the sea water is the most gorgeous shade of turquoise I've ever seen.

Call in at the American Marines Memorial shortly after leaving Porirua. It's not really a big deal but a bit interesting never the less. If you carry on down the lane towards the fore shore it's beautifully quiet if your brain needs a break from the noise of your motorcycle engine. (Conveniently placed public loos here too !)

You can retrace your steps back to SH 1.

Research the, 'Gentle Annie Road' is a scenic route from Marton to Hawke's Bay.

On Boxing Day we drove the Forgotten World Highway from Stratford to Taumarunui. Very picturesque, just don't expect to do it in a hurry !

Yesterday we went to the, 'Bridge to Nowhere'. Drove to Pipiriki then got the pre-booked excursion the rest of the way.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
On Boxing Day we drove the Forgotten World Highway from Stratford to Taumarunui. Very picturesque, just don't expect to do it in a hurry !

YAY that was already on our route - I found it from the motorbike site listed above

Cheers
Jan
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
YAY that was already on our route - I found it from the motorbike site listed above

Cheers
Jan
The pub in Whangamomona serves bog standard pub food.

We took a picnic of our Christmas Day left overs which were yummy. We stopped at a picnic bench at the Strathmore Saddle. The first half of the F.W. Highway goes over a series of 'saddles'.

Hope you enjoy the narrow unlit tunnel about two thirds along the highway. Also, the two bridges linked by a very narrow road. The road becomes gravel in places. Very thick gravel.........enjoy ! Although as motorcycle riders you will probably be used to people playing wacky races on narrow, gravel roads with a cliff on one side and a steep gorge on the other.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 28th 2013 at 8:06 pm. Reason: narrow tunnel
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

The pub in Whangamomona serves bog standard pub food.

We took a picnic of our Christmas Day left overs which were yummy. We stopped at a picnic bench at the Strathmore Saddle. The first half of the F.W. Highway goes over a series of 'saddles'.

Hope you enjoy the narrow unlit tunnel about two thirds along the highway. Also, the two bridges linked by a very narrow road. The road becomes gravel in places. Very thick gravel.........enjoy ! Although as motorcycle riders you will probably be used to people playing wacky races on narrow, gravel roads with a cliff on one side and a steep gorge on the other.
Well, that was useful thanks - I bothered to look up the road conditions on the FWHighway and we don't plan to ride on gravel, so we'll avoid that. Regretfully

Jan
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here ... http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...O8h7f3fpyXsg3g
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Yep that's the link I posted in the original post.

But it doesn't mention that the FWHighway is not tarmac'd!!!!

Jan
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:50 pm

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=fo...2&ved=0CDYQsAQ

These are some one else's photos that I found on the internet of the Forgotten World Highway, mine won't load. About 95 per cent of these photos are from the F.G.H.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 28th 2013 at 9:55 pm. Reason: photos
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=fo...2&ved=0CDYQsAQ

These are some one else's photos that I found on the internet of the Forgotten World Highway, mine won't load. About 95 per cent of these photos are from the F.G.H.
Awesome!!

It gets the Number 1 road in NZ vote from Stuff - makes me wish my off road skills were better, rather than non existent

Top-10-NZ-roads-Number-1

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.