British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is our NI itinerary too demanding? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/our-ni-itinerary-too-demanding-418317/)

Maz Jan 12th 2007 4:37 am

Is our NI itinerary too demanding?

Hi all. :)

I'm sorry I owe PMs to a couple of you, but my work (4-letter word ending in "k" ;) ) has been more than demanding today.

I wanted to ask a question about our realistic goals for going from Wellington to Auckland during our recce.

Basically we have 7 nights from when we leave Wellington until our flight leaves (early evening flight) from Auckland.

We were thinking about this:

Nights 1 & 2: Masterton at a friend's house at a vineyard

Night 3: Naper / Hastings

Night 4: Rotorua

Night 5: After going to Matamata to see "Hobbiton" :D , go to Hamilton to have drinkies with some of the expats on here. :beer: :)

Nights 6 & 7: Auckland... possibly via Coromandel

What do those in the know think? Is that too taxing? What would you suggest? We have no problem for driving up to 5 hours a day, and our road atlas confidently (ha ha, bucket of salt added) states that our shortest journeys, ie. Masterton to Naper, and Naper to Rotorua, will be 3hr 5mins each.

Thanks all. :) And many apologies to those to whom I owe PMs. I promise I will get to them tomorrow (it's 11.36 pm here right now).

thebears Jan 12th 2007 5:16 am

Re: Is our NI itinerary too demanding?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4273646)
Hi all.

I'm sorry I owe PMs to a couple of you, but my work (4-letter word ending in "k" ) has been more than demanding today.

I wanted to ask a question about our realistic goals for going from Wellington to Auckland during our recce.

Basically we have 7 nights from when we leave Wellington until our flight leaves (early evening flight) from Auckland.

Night 5: After going to Matamata to see "Hobbiton" , go to Hamilton to have drinkies with some of the expats on here.

What do those in the know think? Is that too taxing? What would you suggest? We have no problem for driving up to 5 hours a day, and our road atlas confidently (ha ha, bucket of salt added) states that our shortest journeys, ie. Masterton to Naper, and Naper to Rotorua, will be 3hr 5mins each.

Thanks all. :) And many apologies to those to whom I owe PMs. I promise I will get to them tomorrow (it's 11.36 pm here right now).

My memory below Rotorua is too vague to be of assistance - just beware the drivers are used to slower roads and sometimes coming from the UK it takes abit of time to "slow" down. Do Napier and Gisbourne were great locations - bear in mind this was in the 70's and my enjoyment rating was based on girls, pool table availabilty, swimming pools. But do remember parents getting toasted at various wineries:rolleyes:

At Rotorua I would recommend the Novatel and try booking directly with them they have a nice thermal pool on the ground floor and are the best location in my opinion - across the road from the lake and park and within easy walk of the museum and starting point for most tours. The resturants and bars are also "staggering" distance.

From Hamilton you could get around Coromandel in a day but you will only get 2 or 3 hours in once place (ideally hotwater beach) the rest of the time will be driving. Last did it a few weeks ago - left Thames about 10.30am and got back to Te Aroha about 5.30pm not a rushed drive and stopped frequently for 3 year old to wee etc. My opinion is spend time doing Coromandel versus a day in Auckland. I lived in Auckland for over 20 years and it may suit some people and good luck to them - but I found it hell on earth. My wife summed it up nicely - lots of cafes but the coffee is bland and is more like just frothy milk with coffee beans missing. Thank goodness we have some expats to sweeten it up;)

In Auckland go over the shore and stay in Takapuna at the Spencer on Byron or Byron on Spencer. Well appointed self contained apartments with washing machine and dryer - not sure if you are travelling with kids but we found this excellent and great place to escape family (if you know what I mean).

Kiwi

Maz Jan 12th 2007 5:23 am

Aaah yes the slower drivers. Hubby being a bit of a racer (his 40th b'day present was a Formula Ford racing experience at the now defunct Chicago Motor Speedway ;) :D ) he did comment on that. So where our road atlas estimated 200kms and 3 hrs, we thought we should allow 5 hrs.

Excellent about the hotel in Rotorua, we will definitely check that out, thank you! :)

The thing about spending more time in Auckland is the possibility of job interivews, and for hubby to go to some extra open jam sessions. :rolleyes: Hee hee.

Thank you so much for your input! Karma sent, and now I'm off to beddy-byes as it's nearly 12.30 am here in the US midwest. :zzz:

Maz Jan 12th 2007 5:24 am

Sorry, forgot to say, yes we'll be travelling with a wee one. Our daughter will turn 5 1/2 when we're in NZ. :)

And our 12th wedding anniversary starts with our touch-down at AKL. :) :D :beer: :)

poppets Jan 12th 2007 5:30 am

Hi all.

I'm sorry I owe PMs to a couple of you, but my work (4-letter word ending in "k" ;) ) has been more than demanding today.

Night 5: After going to Matamata to see "Hobbiton" :D , go to Hamilton to have drinkies with some of the expats on here. :beer: :)

hi maz
i used this to help calculate your trip
http://www.newzealand.com/travel/tra...ances-home.cfm

Wellington to Masterton 102kms/63 miles approx 1 hr 29 mins

Masterton to Napier 231kms /144miles 3hrs 21 mins

(Masterton to Hastings 215 kms / 134 miles 3hrs 07mins)

napier to Rotorua 218 kms /135 miles 3hrs 08mins

(hastings to rotorua 239k kms/ 149miles 3hrs 26mins)

(rotorua to matamata 87kms /54miles 1hr 16mins)

matamata to hamilton 68kms /42 miles 57 mins

(rotorua to hamilton 109kms/ 68miles 1hr 33 mins)

hamilton to auckland 126kms /78 miles 1hr 50 mins

auckland to coromandel 165 kms/105miles 2hrs 27 mins

it looks do able to me but then we drove from auckland to welly in a week too on a similar route but it was a bit of a whirlwind but we didi have 2 small kids on board too

if you happen to see a certain lady in hamilton who drinks 21 beers say hi from me, you'll have a ball :beer:

cottageinthesky Jan 12th 2007 6:39 am

Hi Maz - I've driven all these routes and your itinerary looks fine - it's full on - no margin for getting wrecked and having a late morning start! - but comfortably do-able. Go for it!

Herm Jan 12th 2007 6:40 am

In a word YES.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Matamata (aka Hobbiton) is definately worth a miss. Read the book, seen the film, make do and don't spoil the image.

Hamilton to Auckland via Coromandel - beutifull but I live only 30 mins from the Coromandel and in 6 years have still not done it justice..........

Good luck and enjoy your trip but don't try and cram everything in it will all become a blur and serve to confuse.

Batty Jan 12th 2007 8:36 pm

Maz, we drove from Auckland to Cape Reinga last month when our friends were over and even with two people driving it took 7 hours (we stopped for half an hour in Whangarei) and everyone was really tired by the end of it. We stayed there for a couple of hours and then drove back to Keri Keri and all in all we were on the road for 12 hours! Our friends were really surprised because when they looked on the map it didn't seem that far away at all! Granted the last 20km was on an unsealed road but the roads are so bendy (is that a word?) and hilly that 100km an hour is mostly unachievable - if you want to be safe. Oh yeah, and if you're anything like us, make allowances for getting lost :D

We were in Huntly recently and it took us 2 hours each way and that was on a Saturday evening. With two speeding tickets under his belt Mr Batty uses cruise control now to stay within the limit :D

So.... it's a bit like building a house - double your estimate and you might be pleasantly surprised :p