Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our New Life in New Zealand

Our New Life in New Zealand

Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice
Default Re: Our New Life in New Zealand

Really enjoyed your post. We are moving over in January so I will keep much of your information in mind.

Glad to see you have settled in, good luck in the future and I hope we settle as quickly and as well as your family has.

Kerry
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:03 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for a great post, it reminded me of all the things we went through 3 years ago . Not too sure about the advice not to worry about the finances though, it's the biggest single reason I know of that causes people to leave NZ.

Still using my big can of "Can Do" too.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your lovely words. I am pleased if what we have experienced has inspired you all.

Just to pick up on a couple of comments;

1. Finances
You do need to consider finances as it impacts everything you do, however it is a fact of life. The way we look at it is, that to move to New Zealand or anywhere you need to invest a lot, and that will be money, time, energy, emotions and passion. So if you are going to go to the effort of making such a move you need to invest the money. For those that haven't made the move you may be shocked to know that this move has cost us probably over £15,000 already. But thats an investment in our future and our children's future, you cant put a price on it.
Another example is that we are renting for the first few months, and possibly paying more than we should, however we have a really nice place with lots of space for the children to play and for our 20ft container of belongings to go. Yes we could have paid a lot less, but looking around trying to get a good rental is hard. So by paying a little bit more we are investing in the start of of new life and trying to make it as comfortable as possible.
I know this isn't possible for everyone but it has worked for us.

2. Expensive
Yes NZ is expensive and probably our only downside on NZ. Everyone in the UK should realise how well off they are with bank charges and the cost of food, BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free). Food in the UK is dirt cheap. I used to work in Retail and know. Its all about a balance. You wont spend as much on clothes as there is not as much interest in brands and looking great and shopping on a Saturday. Plus there is less choice so less to spend money on and more time to spend with the kids, bonus.

3. North Wales
When asked what was wrong with North Wales, the answer is nothing. Infact nothing at all. Its a great place. We have a lovely cottage with sea views in a peaceful welsh village. We moved to New Zealand for something different. not better or worse, and we dont get into the negative discussions about the UK or any other country. Accept that things are different and it creates a positive attitude to life and easier to accept your new life in NZ.

If anyone would like some advice, support or help with your move please feel free to send me a private message, or drop me an email.
We have been a member of this website for many years and got lots of help and support for the move we have eventually made. We are more than happy to give some help back.

One last thought for you all; There are no right or wrong decisions just make the decision and make the most of your life.

Paul
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:10 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, welcome to NZ. A great couple of posts there. Have you been to Dutch Delight yet? On Birkenhead Ave. It's a pancake restaurant and I highly recommend it Lovely Dutch guy, Willem, owns and runs it and it's an A grade too
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, you have just become my daughters best friend. She loves the pancakes over here. Where about in Birkenhead is it. There are some great places to eat here. We enjoyed a few drinks and a game of pool at the Slip Inn recently.

We will have to find Dutch Delight. May treat the kids on Saturday morning, and us to.

Do you live in the area?
Thanks for the tip.

Paul
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:20 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Wow, you have just become my daughters best friend. She loves the pancakes over here. Where about in Birkenhead is it. There are some great places to eat here. We enjoyed a few drinks and a game of pool at the Slip Inn recently.

We will have to find Dutch Delight. May treat the kids on Saturday morning, and us to.

Do you live in the area?
Thanks for the tip.

Paul
Cool! It's past the Slip Inn, just where the road goes into a two way street. A minute away from the Slip Inn really

We live in Glenfield. Where are you working?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

I work for Air New Zealand at the new head office off Fanshawe Street.
Its really easy to commute to on the bus. Bus Lane all the way in and only $3, bargain.

We definately will be going for Pancakes Saturday morning.
A top tip for you the Chinese Takeaway, called the flying horse. They do a great chinese which you can watch being cooked. One meal is plenty ofr two to share.

It is just opposite Bloc Buster on the corner.

Paul
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:46 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
I work for Air New Zealand at the new head office off Fanshawe Street.
Its really easy to commute to on the bus. Bus Lane all the way in and only $3, bargain.

We definately will be going for Pancakes Saturday morning.
A top tip for you the Chinese Takeaway, called the flying horse. They do a great chinese which you can watch being cooked. One meal is plenty ofr two to share.

It is just opposite Bloc Buster on the corner.

Paul
I'm just down the road at Bayleys I get the bus too. Small world eh? We might give that Chinese a go one night.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

You guys might even walk past each other each day and not even know it
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

batty

Are you the person who went to work in the prison service in NZ?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Nope I am not, but sounds interesting.

We are the family who looked at moving to NZ back in 2003. It wasnt the right time, but here we are now. We applied to the Get a New Life programme and got through to the final stages, but at the final minute the BBC changed their minds and choose the Goddard family who many of you will have seen on the programme. Paul and Julie were ready to go within weeks and had visa and everything sorted. We didnt as I needed a job. We came out anyway for 5 weeks.

Went for a walk on Takapuna beach today, which was the last place we were 3 years ago wondering if we would ever make i back. Well yes we have and here we are, amazing really how life turns out.

Went for pancakes to the Dutch cafe in Birkenhead, and yes they were excellant, so would highly recommend.

If anyone needs advice on anything NZ, please do send us a private message or add to this thread. Its what we are here for.

Have a terrific week everyone

Paul
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
great thread. We will be packing on the 27th Nov but not leaving the UK until mid Jan. I've avoided the negative thread but there seems to be a lot of negativity creeping into several posts so it's lovely to read such a well balanced post. Like you we are hoping to make a difference to our and our childrens lives by making this move but, hey, it's not a one way ticket and we would regret not doing it more than doing it and returning to the UK for whatever reason.
Thanks for the tips - I was thinking about the iron this morning - sad, I know.
Glad you're enjoying your new life, long may it continue,
Donna
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:32 pm
By name and by nature

Ranbysue - no I'm not in the prison service - far too wimpy for that

Glad you liked the pancakes Paul

We've got our first visitors coming from Ireland on Friday and we're sooo excited