Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our New Life in New Zealand

Our New Life in New Zealand

Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Our New Life in New Zealand

Well we made it, we are here and Loving it.

May 30th 2006 is when we started this journey to move to New Zealand having taken a totally random call from a friend telling me about a job which I should apply for.
Nearly 5 months later, we have been living in Auckland for over a month, have found a home, new car, new job, new schools, our container has arrived and we have already experienced more New stuff than I can count. Although we did play a game the other night with the kids to list as many new things as possible about life in New Zealand and we still had loads left when it came to bed time.

There is so much I could write about and I feel so passionate about our move and New Zealand, however I am going to just say a few things which are my opinion and obviously open to everyone else’s opinion and experience. However having moved away from Family and Friends to London from North Wales before and looking at this three years ago, we do have some specific learning’s.

For those thinking of moving to New Zealand
1. Look into the move seriously, but not financially. We have found that if you look at the finances in too much detail you will not do it, and that can apply to anything in life.
2. Visit at for as many weeks as you can afford
3. Tell only the most important people your plans. My advice is not to tell anyone about your plans. Reason is that if you decide it’s not for you, you haven’t created any anxiety for anyone else other than you and your immediate family. People can’t deal with what if; they can cope with yes or no.
4. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t be surprised. It didn’t for us and we visited twice of 3 years. Don’t fight it.
5. Realise that it is different. Not everything is better or worse. If you look for different you can’t go wrong.
6. Its not forever and if you do make the move, you can say you have tried. It’s only been 5 weeks for us, and if we left tomorrow, we can say we gave it a go.

For those in the middle of the move
1. Be patient, you have started a journey into the Kiwi culture and moving from super fast UK.
2. Plan for things to take longer.
3. Prepare all your paperwork, but don’t panic if you have lost something or you forgot something
4. The immigration people are there to help, not trip you up.
5. Medicals can be done as quickly as 2 weeks, Police checks take the longest, but can also be speeded up with a polite letter.
6. Take time to say goodbye to friends and family, the last two weeks will fly by and you will be cancelling dinners, get together.
7. Have your leaving party at least 4 weeks before you leave. We felt bas the week after the party, then buzzing and ready to go the 3 weeks before we left. We needed that energy
8. Shop around for a shipper and haggle.
9. Get your UK phone unlocked from the network. This can take upto 8 weeks, so do it now. If you forget you can get a nice Chinese man on Queens Street to do it, but some Nokia phones cannot be unlocked, other than by the network provider. We know we have a Nokia 6680, sorted now though.
10. Cancel all bills in advance. You will be surprised how helpful there are if you give them plenty of notice. We got some money back!!
11. IMPORTANT Leave Friends and Family to deal with the move themselves. It sounds very selfish and it is. You can’t change the way people feel, they have to just deal with it. This worked really well for us and was the best advice someone gave us.

For those packing right now, things to pack
1. Iron
2. Kettle
3. Tomato Ketchup
4. Mobile Phones unlocked
5. UK food as a gift for UK expats living in NZ
6. Toys and books for kids, it can get very boring looking for a rental to live in.
7. Sleeping bags
8. Laptop
9. File with all your official documents
10. IMPORTANT Bring a Can Do positive attitude. Be yourself.

Treat your new life as a holiday. If you do something everything weekend, Sat & Sun, or Sat or Sun, then you will be experiencing something new.

Good luck with your new life, we love ours. If you need any advice or information, please do let us know.

The Wild Harpers
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our New Life in New Zealand

Wonderful advice, thank you! And many congrats on your so-far-successful move to NZ.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Its great to hear you are doing so well and loving it. Good tips there too. We've been here for just over 10 months now and still love it as much as we did when we arrive. We also like trying new thing to do and see and do as often as we can.
I'm sure you'll settle and love life in this fantastic country as we do, you certainly have the right attidude!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Well we made it, we are here and Loving it.

May 30th 2006 is when we started this journey to move to New Zealand having taken a totally random call from a friend telling me about a job which I should apply for.
Nearly 5 months later, we have been living in Auckland for over a month, have found a home, new car, new job, new schools, our container has arrived and we have already experienced more New stuff than I can count. Although we did play a game the other night with the kids to list as many new things as possible about life in New Zealand and we still had loads left when it came to bed time.

There is so much I could write about and I feel so passionate about our move and New Zealand, however I am going to just say a few things which are my opinion and obviously open to everyone else’s opinion and experience. However having moved away from Family and Friends to London from North Wales before and looking at this three years ago, we do have some specific learning’s.

For those thinking of moving to New Zealand
1. Look into the move seriously, but not financially. We have found that if you look at the finances in too much detail you will not do it, and that can apply to anything in life.
2. Visit at for as many weeks as you can afford
3. Tell only the most important people your plans. My advice is not to tell anyone about your plans. Reason is that if you decide it’s not for you, you haven’t created any anxiety for anyone else other than you and your immediate family. People can’t deal with what if; they can cope with yes or no.
4. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t be surprised. It didn’t for us and we visited twice of 3 years. Don’t fight it.
5. Realise that it is different. Not everything is better or worse. If you look for different you can’t go wrong.
6. Its not forever and if you do make the move, you can say you have tried. It’s only been 5 weeks for us, and if we left tomorrow, we can say we gave it a go.

For those in the middle of the move
1. Be patient, you have started a journey into the Kiwi culture and moving from super fast UK.
2. Plan for things to take longer.
3. Prepare all your paperwork, but don’t panic if you have lost something or you forgot something
4. The immigration people are there to help, not trip you up.
5. Medicals can be done as quickly as 2 weeks, Police checks take the longest, but can also be speeded up with a polite letter.
6. Take time to say goodbye to friends and family, the last two weeks will fly by and you will be cancelling dinners, get together.
7. Have your leaving party at least 4 weeks before you leave. We felt bas the week after the party, then buzzing and ready to go the 3 weeks before we left. We needed that energy
8. Shop around for a shipper and haggle.
9. Get your UK phone unlocked from the network. This can take upto 8 weeks, so do it now. If you forget you can get a nice Chinese man on Queens Street to do it, but some Nokia phones cannot be unlocked, other than by the network provider. We know we have a Nokia 6680, sorted now though.
10. Cancel all bills in advance. You will be surprised how helpful there are if you give them plenty of notice. We got some money back!!
11. IMPORTANT Leave Friends and Family to deal with the move themselves. It sounds very selfish and it is. You can’t change the way people feel, they have to just deal with it. This worked really well for us and was the best advice someone gave us.

For those packing right now, things to pack
1. Iron
2. Kettle
3. Tomato Ketchup
4. Mobile Phones unlocked
5. UK food as a gift for UK expats living in NZ
6. Toys and books for kids, it can get very boring looking for a rental to live in.
7. Sleeping bags
8. Laptop
9. File with all your official documents
10. IMPORTANT Bring a Can Do positive attitude. Be yourself.

Treat your new life as a holiday. If you do something everything weekend, Sat & Sun, or Sat or Sun, then you will be experiencing something new.

Good luck with your new life, we love ours. If you need any advice or information, please do let us know.

The Wild Harpers
Congrats

were you the ones from north wales coming over, or have i gotten you confused with someone else?

where in auckland you living? being mighty nosey now sowwy
Old Nov 8th 2006, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Yep we are the family from North Wales. Well remembered.

We live in highbury, Birkenhead on the North Shore.

Where about in Auckland are you living.
Really pleased you are still loving life here.

Paul
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:06 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great post

Enjoy your new life
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Brilliant advice - cheers for that!!!

Dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Well said...
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, I enjoyed reading it thanks.

So glad to hear that you are enjoying your new life here.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Great pos!I'll file the info away for when it's our turn!
good luck with your future life in NZ
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Just read your posting. Thanks for the great advice, definitely one to keep coming back to P.S sent you some karma
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:28 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

This is a fantastic post. Sound advice given. I will print and keep it in a safe place. Very best wishes for your future.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Pastor Flops,

thanks for the positive outlook. I need that right now.

Still, regarding your first advice
Not to sound negative, but can you specify that, please? I'm a pretty spontaneous person not caring too much about money, I've moved around in Europe quite a bit without any financial concerns and always coped somehow, but emigrating is serious business. Especially when kids are involved as well. All of a sudden I have become a doubter! :scared:

Anyway, great that you made the right decision and are enjoying life in the other down under!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Yep we are the family from North Wales. Well remembered.

We live in highbury, Birkenhead on the North Shore.

Where about in Auckland are you living.
Really pleased you are still loving life here.

Paul
we are living in Massey in West Auckland, just bought a house there about 10 days ago now

makes you wonder what is wrong with North wales doesnt it?

Dawn
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

That was lovely to read, thanks! Just been reading some of the negative thread and wonder if they are referring to the same country as the one I live in
Birkenhead is lovely isn't it? Have you been for a walk down to the sugar refinery yet? We went for a long walk around there the day before our daughter was born, I think it helped bring the labour on

Great that it is all going well for your family, I look forward to reading further posts from you.

Jude x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.