Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old May 12th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Originally Posted by gags
Why is that?
That 'll be cos of the road noise from the hoons and boy racers. It can be quite mind bendingly bad here in NZ. I knew nothing of this when I bought our 'strange' (but nice) house back in 2005. Fortunately it is soooooooo far off the open road down so many dead ends no one can ever find it..being at the top of a big hill helps. Consequently it is as quiet here as I remember quietness in the jungle of north Thailand. For me it makes our home worth every cent we have sunk into it.
Old May 12th 2010, 7:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good for you. I'm pleased you have all this.

We live at the top of a hill too and noise rises. We live at the end of a long drive on a back section. A cul de sac. We live with a paddock on two sides.

As you have read we are having a nightmare. . My house is also worth every cent we have sunk into it. It is in a lovely spot in what should be a quiet place. It was a quiet place. It isn't now.

Spare a thought . The nightmare came to us. It wasn't there when we bought our house.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
That 'll be cos of the road noise from the hoons and boy racers. It can be quite mind bendingly bad here in NZ. I knew nothing of this when I bought our 'strange' (but nice) house back in 2005.
Absolutely. The hobby of the average kiwi seems to be making their car as loud as possible, letting alone holding races outside your house at night.
I too bought (what I thought was ) a great house when I got here, but the suped-up cars made it a horrible place to live. Its a nationwide pastime, and any place I buy now will be well off the beaten track I can tell you.
No compulsory car insurance in NZ so 'hoons' modify their wrecks or supe up their Subary WRX to their hearts content. Even living an hour out of London , I never used to here a car day or night, but some of thats to do with brick and double glazing - which you wont find much of in NZ either
Old May 13th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

We live at the top of a hill too and noise rises. We live at the end of a long drive on a back section. A cul de sac. We live with a paddock on two sides.

As you have read we are having a nightmare. . My house is also worth every cent we have sunk into it. It is in a lovely spot in what should be a quiet place. It was a quiet place. It isn't now.

Spare a thought . The nightmare came to us. It wasn't there when we bought our house.
No I appreciate our neighb ours could change within weeks and we could find ourselves with neighbours from hell. For me if that happened and I could see no end or resolution I would move. Life is too short to let selfish bastards ruin it. You should NOT have to move but sometimes its the only option. Unless of course you have to legally declare any local nuisance when selling.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:17 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

WE live in a cul de sac
Old May 13th 2010, 11:19 am
`

Originally Posted by Batty
WE live in a cul de sac
Old May 13th 2010, 11:20 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

There hasn't been a sound from next door all week. In fact, it's been eerily silent I have spoken to Council and they're 'monitoring the situation' It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who actually understands what it's like and wants to sort it out without starting world war 3! I'm only afraid that if there's an official intervention we'll end up with a horse's head on the deck or something
Old May 13th 2010, 11:23 am
By name and by nature

Your saving grace in a way Bevs is that by its nature it's a transient thing so hopefully they'll 'transient OFF' soon
Old May 13th 2010, 11:39 am
`

Originally Posted by Batty
There hasn't been a sound from next door all week. In fact, it's been eerily silent I have spoken to Council and they're 'monitoring the situation' It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who actually understands what it's like and wants to sort it out without starting world war 3! I'm only afraid that if there's an official intervention we'll end up with a horse's head on the deck or something

I know. It's been eerily quiet here too since I did my rattling door thing like a demented loon. Oh wait, I am now demented following the Christmas episode. The Council are also monitoring and 'building a picture'
I must admit I have been concerned for my cats ( another neighbour's cat got shot a while back with an air rifle ) & my 3 hens. You can just never know .
Old May 13th 2010, 11:42 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

I know. It's been eerily quiet here too since I did my rattling door thing like a demented loon. Oh wait, I am now demented following the Christmas episode. The Council are also monitoring and 'building a picture'
I must admit I have been concerned for my cats ( another neighbour's cat got shot a while back with an air rifle ) & my 3 hens. You can just never know .
What about your ducks!!!!

Seriously....glad you've had a quiet week, hope they've got the message and you've recovered from your dementia!!
Old May 13th 2010, 10:25 pm
`

Originally Posted by MnB
What about your ducks!!!!

!
How could I forget . My ducks.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bevs,
sorry to hear you are having a bad time with the noise, just a thought, do you have a 'Community patrol' in your area? It might be able to help you.

We have one here that has a camera on the vehicle so when it does patrol 'everything' is recorded,i.e the cars, events, boy hoons, teens loitering. The patrollers record car reggies and any 'incidences to the police by way of written records (it also has a police radio) the crime rate has dropped here by 80% since the patrol started, fewer drug dealers, less drunk teens on esplanade, less noise.... etc The police also contact the CP to drive passed an incident - patrollers do not get involved directly.
All the local towns and suburbs have C.P. because there aren't enough police cars to cover all of Bay of plenty.

H x
Old May 16th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi Bevs,
sorry to hear you are having a bad time with the noise, just a thought, do you have a 'Community patrol' in your area? It might be able to help you.

We have one here that has a camera on the vehicle so when it does patrol 'everything' is recorded,i.e the cars, events, boy hoons, teens loitering. The patrollers record car reggies and any 'incidences to the police by way of written records (it also has a police radio) the crime rate has dropped here by 80% since the patrol started, fewer drug dealers, less drunk teens on esplanade, less noise.... etc The police also contact the CP to drive passed an incident - patrollers do not get involved directly.
All the local towns and suburbs have C.P. because there aren't enough police cars to cover all of Bay of plenty.

H x
Unfortunately, thats the sort of pro-active 'policing' that is necessary these days. It sounds good, should be more widespread.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:45 am
`

I had to google Community Patrols to find out what it was.

To my knowledge , this village doesn't have this. There again , even the policeman that reports the previous months' incidents in our newsletter seems to be unable to acknowledge that the problem stems from within the community. ( page 15) The lad that was arrested re. the fight was the next door neighbour I find there is a heads in the sand attitude here. It's all a bit wishy washy. Our immediate neighbours would NEVER acknowledge the noise issue from that lowlife pub for the simple reason that it could effect their house value ( real estate agents).

There must have been others disturbed by the Christmas eve and Day all day and night party which went on, full bore, next door but when approached ,people really just didn't want to be involved.

I'm biased, of course, but the pub is the hub of the problem here IMO

Last edited by BEVS; May 17th 2010 at 1:24 am. Reason: add link
Old May 21st 2010, 1:16 pm
`

Right ! I am so steaming freckin' MAD What a craphole I live in. We lived in an attached row of cottages in England . All close to each other with houses over the road and we never had to go through this on a weekly basis. Our neighbours were great and , well, neighbourly.

Twenty past 1 in the morning and still the pub rock band is thumping through our house.

Noise control? Well, it seems they are out at Kateriteri.

Am I mad. Well yes. I took out the car and drove to various points around the village and the racket could be heard from all over.

Will anyone else report anything else about this? Unlikely in my experience.

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2010 at 1:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.